Corda Prehead-1.......
Jul 21, 2003 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

williamgoody

Banned
In a word, INCREDIBLE! I just received it this morning and have been listening to it for about an hour. The two reviews of this amp (Tuberoller and Kelly) are really spot on. I've owned a Melos Sha-1 and a Gilmore V1, but to me this bests both of them by quite a great deal.

I'm running it from a Sony CE775 using the HD600's and the RS-1's and it really does do well with both. With the RS-1's never have I heard such detail, it's really stunning. The bass is tightened up quite nicely, as well as a solid, crisp treble extension. And the vocals are impecible, from low octaves to high.
Never with the RS-1's have I had such separation as well, it's like every aspect is somewhat "outlined", yet layered quite nicely.

And what power? Using the 600's I can't get the volume past 11 o'clock. Everything is somewhat more "upfront" with the Senn's than one might be used to. Also the treble is a little edgier with the 600's, but the texture and soundstage is fabulous.

What can I say, it's an incredible amp the gets everything "right", as it was meant to be heard. It's patient enough to let you experience the tenderness of jazz, yet definitely fast enough to present rock on a platter.

I'll go into more detail as time goes on today, as well as give some impressions of it and the ASL OTL32 I have.

(EDIT) This version has the AD8610's by the way)

Jul 21, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 15
Congrats on a great purchase!
smily_headphones1.gif

But you can be sure that burning in will make it even better. I remember well how long my HA-2 needed to sound at its best.

peacesign.gif

Jul 21, 2003 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 15
Cool, thanks for that. I was wondering how the Prehead sounds with the AD8610 since everybody seems to get the National chip instead. I think "upfront" is a very good way to put the AD8620.

Jul 21, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 15
I think circuit design plays a larger role than many of us think - the AD8610 is supposed to sound smoother and less detailed and revealing than the stock LM chip.

-dd3mon

Jul 21, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
I think circuit design plays a larger role than many of us think - the AD8610 is supposed to sound smoother and less detailed and revealing than the stock LM chip.

-dd3mon

Yep, that's possibly correct, but in checking
it out with the AKG501's (testing them before I send them), the detail is really really extraordinary. With the 600's, the smoothless is there, getting in the way of the detail actually. I would imagine that with the other op amps DR Meier uses, the smoothness lessens more that the detail improves.

Just a supposition on my part.

Jul 21, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 15
My comment on this opamp was because every Meta42 builder I've seen comment on the Prehead, assumes that the 'smoother' opamp of the two choices could not be the AD8610 because of it's effects in a Meta42. The circuit design in the case yields far different results.

With that 'edgy' treble - two things to keep in mind. According to kelly a 'hardness' in the treble disapeered during break-in on his Prehead. Also, your source (I have the same) is harsh on top and weak on the bottom. It improves significantly while playing SACDs, but still retains some of those nasty qualities IMO. Planning to have mine modded by sacdmods soon.

-dd3mon

Jul 21, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 15
I hear that about the source, and I'm getting a Cambridge for the Prehead, while relegating the 775 to the OTL32 to match up that edgy treble.

By the way, I got this second hand, so it should be pretty burned in already.

Right now I'm just curious if I might enjoy the 880's with this even more than the RS-1's.

Jul 21, 2003 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 15
FWIW, I never said the AD8610 isn't smooth. It is, it really is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 15
William,

Yes the PreHead-1 is run in. I'm glad you're enjoying it. You should know that any upgrade to the source will be readily "seen" by the Amp. The AD-8610 version that you have has a bit more air/atmosphere but a bit less detail. Since you have the RS-1 - a very detailed headphone - it would mate well with its more "forgiving sound". I n not sure the cambridge would be a step in the right direction. You really need to give this baby a good source (ie above the avarage but good class). When I fed the PreHead-1 with the CEC 930 turntable the detial level is a killer (of course I was using a Kimber TAK-Ag phono to RCA, an EAR834P phono stage connected by a Kimber KS-1030). The interconnects alone costs more than the prehead btw. So take it one step at a time. When you're ready get a real high end red book player - Copland/ Primare/Musical Fidelity/ etc.

Jul 22, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 15
I'm really liking the 880s with my HA-2, an excellent match
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
I'm really liking the 880s with my HA-2, an excellent match
tongue.gif

Oh yes... the same here!
smily_headphones1.gif

peacesign.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 15
If you like the DT-880 out of the 0 ohm jack of the HA-1 wait till you hear the Beyer DT-931 out of the 120 ohm jack of either the PreHead-1, HA-2 or even the humble HA-1 MkI. The atmosphere is incredible but some might find it a bit bright. I do have both BTW.

Don't go out an buy one just because of what I've just said please. But do bring you amp along an audition one at a Beyer dealer.

The one thing I like about Corda amps is the flexibility (not to mention build quality).

Jul 22, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 15
You know what sounds REALLY good out of the 120ohm jack? The RS-1's. It seems that the bass tightens up a bit, and even though you may be taking a "step back" in this configuration, the texture and detail remain. Basically the sound "cleans up" a bit.

I'll have to play with the crossfeed next.

Jul 23, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 15
Yup I prefer the Grado RS-1 out of the 120 ohm jack as well. It tames the highs a bit but to my ears makes the bass a little fuller.

Jul 23, 2003 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 15
Yup I prefer the Grado RS-1 out of the 120 ohm jack as well. It tames the highs a bit but to my ears makes the bass a little fuller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back