CORDA OPERA vs. HeadRoom Desktop Max Module/Max Dac vs. April Stello HP100/DA100
Feb 23, 2008 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mmuse

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All

I'm thinking of expending my Rig. Below are three setups I've in mind.

CORDA OPERA, HeadRoom Desktop Max Module/Max Dac, and April Stello HP100/DA100.

Has anyone done a review on these?

Could anyone with any of these rig please provide some inputs?

Thanks
MM

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All

I'm thinking of expending my Rig. Below are three setups I've in mind.

CORDA OPERA, HeadRoom Desktop Max Module/Max Dac, and April Stello HP100/DA100.

Has anyone done a review on these?

Could anyone with any of these rig please provide some inputs?

Thanks
MM

Is "expending your rig" anything like blowing your wad? Because I think you can do that very effectively with either of those options. But you probably meant "expanding" your rig, didn't you?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have anything more to add, but I'll watch this with interest. I find it a bit curious that Headroom doesn't get any more attention on this forum than it does. Maybe this thread will reveal why.

Tim

Tim

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 15
tfarney - thanks for correcting my spelling. Yes, it's "expanding"
smily_headphones1.gif

Fungi - thanks for the link, although Stello and Opera seemed to be coming out as a tie...

At this point, I'm leaning towards the HR Maxxed Desktop as it's more transportable than the other two. I'd read HR doesn't mix well with K701 though.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 15
Your just own DV336i for couple weeks right? not enough for your preferences?

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 15
I love the DV336i. But I'm missing a USB DAC to feed the amp from my computer.

So in planning ahead, I'm looking for a SS Amp w/ USB DAC that has pre-amp. That way, my rig has SS and Tube amps w/ computer as a source via USB.

For example, if I decided to go with the Stello setup, I would get the DA100 first for the USB DAC to feed DV336i. When the time comes, I'll get the HP100 to add SS amp to my rig.

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 15
Man you cant go wrong with the Stello really enjoy it and it compliments with Grado & Senn cans.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 15
Mm... I would think there would be some inputs from the HR users out there... Anyone?

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 15
Can't speak for the other two amps, but I love my Headroom desktop. Very precise, if it's there you will hear it, but lots of depth and fun as well. Don't know about the K701's, but with HD 650's and SR 325i's, it's incredible with both. Mind you I only have the home module and dac, I can imagine the maxxed stuff is that much better. I will be upgrading to the max package in the next 1-2 months.

What really sold me on this amp though was footprint/connectivity. It sits comfortably on my desk and this includes the desktop power supply. Right now I've got my Oppo connected via analog for SACD and through the optical for everything else. I've got it connected to my soundcards coaxial out, and my ipod is on the other analog input. Yes, 4 things connected, all controlled with the flip of a few switches.

Add to the great sound, the excellent customer service Headroom provides. They are very knowledgeable and will go out of there way to make sure you get what you want. The cherry on top, the 30 day return policy, get it, listen, if you don't like, send it back and get a refund. I've done it with numerous phones, and an amp, no issues at all.

There's a rant from a Headroom customer for you. They really launched me into this wonderful hobby full bore. Like I said, can't speak for the other two, but I will guarentee you can't go wrong with a Desktop.

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 15
I would go for Stello DA100 strictly on the basis that Opera/HR/HP100 are not the only amps out there, and DA100 would offer you the versatility of using a different amp. With recent DA100sig which offers balanced connectivity (++ for HD650), you would be looking at even more options later on.

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 15
I would second the Stello Dac (which im using right now) if only for the reason that it gives you flexibility in trying out different amps later on. As a source it is for me as good as the Benchmark (which it replaced in my system) with a different presentation (not necessarily better, depending on system matching). There is always a better amp, as a stand alone dac, the stello is good enough to build on. Im happy using it with a portable, but im building a Beta22 soon and that best explains my case i guess. I dont know how big a deal transportability is with you. My two cents.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know about the K701's, but with HD 650's and SR 325i's, it's incredible with both. Mind you I only have the home module and dac, I can imagine the maxxed stuff is that much better. I will be upgrading to the max package in the next 1-2 months.

What really sold me on this amp though was footprint/connectivity. It sits comfortably on my desk and this includes the desktop power supply. Right now I've got my Oppo connected via analog for SACD and through the optical for everything else. I've got it connected to my soundcards coaxial out, and my ipod is on the other analog input. Yes, 4 things connected, all controlled with the flip of a few switches.

Thanks for input. Do you hear any jitter at all on the HR? When you said it "sits comfortably on my desk and this includes the desktop power supply", does it mean you also got the $399 Desktop power supply?

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaKinDV8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would second the Stello Dac (which im using right now) if only for the reason that it gives you flexibility in trying out different amps later on. As a source it is for me as good as the Benchmark (which it replaced in my system) with a different presentation (not necessarily better, depending on system matching). There is always a better amp, as a stand alone dac, the stello is good enough to build on. Im happy using it with a portable, but im building a Beta22 soon and that best explains my case i guess. I dont know how big a deal transportability is with you. My two cents.
wink.gif

Thanks for the input. Exactly what I was looking for. Transportability is important as I'll move the rig back and forth from workplace to home at least once or twice a month. Do you think DA100 is light/small enough for that?

Interesting that you mentioned DAC1, as I was also in a look out for it, but I didn't put it in the thread because of its huge price difference. Can you tell me what exactly made you switch from DAC1 to DA100? It didn't seem like it was the sound/presentation, so could it be price?

Thanks
MM

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 15
Finally got my DA100. What a difference a dedicated DAC makes vs. the iPod dock.

On HD650, the background rain drops of Cirque Du Soleil, Varekai finally sounds like tiny droplets as oppose to little rocks dropping (clicking) on the ground. HD650 isn't as muddy too. Not sure how a DAC can change that; probably by giving more details, it dampened the muddiness.

I also didn't notice of the crickets chirping in the background before on the iPod doc. It's there on the DA100.

192 oversampling ON has slightly wider soundstage and warmer mid when listened to Lie in Our Graves by Dave Matthews Band.

I knew DA100 or any dedicated DAC is going to sound better than iPod dock. To be more specific, the DA100 gives more details and warmth vs. iPod doc.

Money well spent!

MM

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 15
mmuse, I have 1 of the 3 -- the HR Desktop (maxed) with DPS. What can I say. It's a solid performer. One of the reasons you don't hear much from HRD owners may be that they're happy with the sound they're getting and don't hang out in Head-Fi as much, looking over their neighbors' fences. BTW, instead of the single-ended HRD, I'd suggest getting the HRD-Balanced (maxed with the Home modules). Either way, though, get the DPS because it makes all the difference in the world

Maxed, the HRD is so versatile because it has a topnotch DAC and stepped attenutaor, and it has all the input options (coaxial, optical, USB, analog) you'll ever need. It's compact and built like a tank. All the switches and jacks feel solid and precise. And unlike a lot of other equipment, you don't grow tired of the look and feel, the engineering and design. It looks like professional equipment, and it delivers.

I don't know where you heard the criticism about the HRD and the K701, but many on the HR staff like this combo. For listening enjoyment, I prefer the HD650 and GS1K with the HRD-SE, but I go to the K701 when I want accuracy.

But it's the HRD-B that'll blow you away. I got the package with the balanced HD650 and consider it unbeatable.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back