corda move & pc vs corda move & ipod vs piccolo & minibox
Aug 19, 2007 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eeksll

New Head-Fier
I am looking at some sort of amp that will be connected to my PC mostly. After looking a bit it appears the entry level usb dac amp is bithead and corda move.

I generally dislike buying entry level products and go straight for mid range as I generally like to get stuff that lasts me a while, however the next jump is quite $$$ so I am lost at the moment at what to do ...

What I am interested to know is how do these compare
1) corda move + computer via usb
2) ipod 3rd gen + corda move as amp (via line out on the ipod)

I am interested in what type of improvement I may expect over my current setup of just an ipod.

Also I have seen the piccolo around, how does that DAC compare to the corda move and ipod dac?

thanks guys

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by eeksll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I have seen the piccolo around, how does that DAC compare to the corda move and ipod dac?

The Piccolo has been out of production for awhile now, but I imagine they pop up occasionally 2nd hand. To my knowledge it is optical input only.

You might also consider the new iBasso D1, which, like the Move combines a headphone amplifier with DAC functionality.

D1%2001.jpg

D1%2002.jpg

It's a bit larger, costs about the same, but it has rechargeable batteries on-board, adds optical and coaxial inputs along with USB, and, unlike the Move, it can also be used as a stand-alone DAC.

You can read all about it on this thread.

Expecting mine tomorrow!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 9
Ill have a look at that one too ... any ideas on price ... I assume you do since you just got one
smily_headphones1.gif

Portability is not particularly relevant to me ... the added bonus to portability is I can take it to work when I get sick of it / upgrade to the next model.

but how does the sound quality compare?

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Ill have a look at that one too ... any ideas on price ... I assume you do since you just got one
smily_headphones1.gif

Portability is not particularly relevant to me ... the added bonus to portability is I can take it to work when I get sick of it / upgrade to the next model.

It's $229, including coaxial, USB, & optical cables, or $209 without the cables.

Of course, I'll have some kind of idea about sound quality once it arrives, and I'll post a review when it has burned in. As to how it compares to the Move, I believe there are at least a couple of Move owners who are awaiting a D1, so hopefully they'll be posting comparative impressions.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Well then, add the Meier Corda Aria to your list. It happens to be on discount too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Piccolo has been out of production for awhile now, but I imagine they pop up occasionally 2nd hand. To my knowledge it is optical input only.

You might also consider the new iBasso D1, which, like the Move combines a headphone amplifier with DAC functionality.

D1%2001.jpg

D1%2002.jpg

It's a bit larger, costs about the same, but it has rechargeable batteries on-board, adds optical and coaxial inputs along with USB, and, unlike the Move, it can also be used as a stand-alone DAC.

You can read all about it on this thread.

Expecting mine tomorrow!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, Piccolo has only optical input and doesn't resample so is dependent on the source's clock. It's advantage is the ability to change opamps, though most owners quickly find the one they want to settle with.

Yes, the D1 does appeal due to its functionality and I eagerly await further posts on its abilities both as a DAC and as an amplifier.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 9
You can also change the opamps in the D1, the buffers and even the low pass filter for the dac.

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well then, add the Meier Corda Aria to your list. It happens to be on discount too!
smily_headphones1.gif

I would serioulsy consider that one but I can't get that one in australia
frown.gif

In fact I prefer one that is not portable as I hate dealing with batteries ... and with most the posrtable ones, I need to get the power source. This is not to say that portability would not handy ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back