Corda Move Crackling
Sep 17, 2007 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mansize_tissue

100+ Head-Fier
I've just noticed, with my 2-month (ish) old Corda Move--at least I think that's how long I've had it, I can't really remember--when I increase and decrease the volume on the amplifier itself I hear distortion/cracking through my headphones.

I have the amplifier set to high current and high gain and, when connected to my laptop via USB and playing music using iTunes, I hear a strange kind of crackling through the left driver only when changing the volume. I can't really explain the sound, but it sounds "crackly" to me. It happens with both my DT 770/80 Pros and some no-brand earphones I have, which is all I've had connected to the amplifier, so I guess it is a fault with the Move, if I can even call it a fault.

I suppose it's not really a big deal, since it only happens when changing the volume on the device, but it's a little annoying and doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.

Is this a real issue, or should I just forget about it?

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm running XP and, no, restarting iTunes doesn't help. It's strange that only the left channel is affected. Any more suggestions? I'll try and contact Jan either today or tomorrow and see if he can help at all.

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just noticed, with my 2-month (ish) old Corda Move--at least I think that's how long I've had it, I can't really remember--when I increase and decrease the volume on the amplifier itself I hear distortion/cracking through my headphones.

I have the amplifier set to high current and high gain and, when connected to my laptop via USB and playing music using iTunes, I hear a strange kind of crackling through the left driver only when changing the volume. I can't really explain the sound, but it sounds "crackly" to me. It happens with both my DT 770/80 Pros and some no-brand earphones I have, which is all I've had connected to the amplifier, so I guess it is a fault with the Move, if I can even call it a fault.

I suppose it's not really a big deal, since it only happens when changing the volume on the device, but it's a little annoying and doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.

Is this a real issue, or should I just forget about it?

Many amplifiers will do this due to tiny amounts of contaminants such as dust, oxidation, etc. It can usually be cleared, at least temporarily, by rapidly rotating the volume pot back and forth, (with no signal input, of course). You will hear the crackling gradually become less and less. It usually happens with less expensive control pots.

I have never had interference when the pot is stationary, even though some of my amps are always noisy when rapidly moving the volume pot. This is not limited to volume controls. Some of my ham radios show this annoyance when any of the movable pots are rapidly rotated.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with your Move, as mine did the same thing.

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 13
I don't think it has anything to do with my laptop, as the crackling sound only occurs when I'm turning the pot on the Move. Nevertheless, here are the specs.:
AMD Athlon 3400+ @ 2.2Ghz
1GB o' RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 128MB

Anything beyond that isn't really relevant.

Thank you for your help, guys; I guess there's not really a problem then. Although, I still find it very strange that I only hear the crackling out of the left channel.

HiFlight, what were you saying about a possible solution to this problem; turning the pot back and forth rapidly? Should I do this just a couple of times, back and forth, and see if it's made a difference or will I need to do a few rotations? Also, how could I clean it?

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it has anything to do with my laptop, as the crackling sound only occurs when I'm turning the pot on the Move. Nevertheless, here are the specs.:
AMD Athlon 3400+ @ 2.2Ghz
1GB o' RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 128MB

Anything beyond that isn't really relevant.

Thank you for your help, guys; I guess there's not really a problem then. Although, I still find it very strange that I only hear the crackling out of the left channel.

HiFlight, what were you saying about a possible solution to this problem; turning the pot back and forth rapidly? Should I do this just a couple of times, back and forth, and see if it's made a difference or will I need to do a few rotations? Also, how could I clean it?

Just rapidly turn it back and forth nearly the full range of rotation. After several rotations you should begin to notice a decrease in the crackling.

I would not advise trying to clean the pot using tuner cleaner or any other type of chemical. You will do more harm than good.

It is just the nature of pots to exhibit that type of noise unless they are of very high quality. No harm will be done.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 13
I have emailed Jan about this issue(and some others) after I experienced same problem. Here is the response I've got from Jan. Hope this helps.

Quote:

> 1. The amp gives static noise when I rotate the volume knob. However, there is no audible noise once the knob is fixed in one position.

Don't worry. This is normal and doesn't present any problem.

> 2. When connected to computer via USB, the amp still gives some sound even if I turn the volume all the way counterclockwise i.e turn it off.

The USB-portion is still completely active and some of the
signal leaks through the electronics to the output. This also
is normal behaviour

> 3. Also when adjusting volume on very low level, I think left and right channels are not adjusted equally, so (I think) I hear some sonical imbalance on low volume.

Unfortunately potentiometers indeed very often show some
channel imbalances at very low volume settings. It can not be
completely avoided during production. Only very expensive
potentiometers have practically no such problems (or stepped
attenuators) but these are simply too large for a small
portable amp.

If very low sound levels are required my suggestion is to
change the gain settings (see user-manual) so you can turn up
volume control further and will have less problems with
channel imbalances.

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanks again for all of your help, I really appreciate it. My mind is at rest! *CinnamoN*, Thank you for posting Jans reply, since it's saved me emailing him about it. Since It's only an issue when changing the volume, I think I'll just forget about it, although I will try what HiFlight suggested.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 13
HiFlight's suggestion worker perfectly for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back