Corda Headfive cable? (excuse the noob-ass question)
Oct 12, 2008 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
So, just to double check at I just bought this for $160US, what type of IC audio cable does this take (to source/DAC)?

It was a great deal considering the exchange rate atm I couldn't refuse it no more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 11
The Headfive takes regular RCA input. It's a great amp, I'm sure you'll like it.

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks. I'm not a big believer in audio cables (unless it's say 20 metres or longer in which shielding is an issue then) so I'll get some cheap RCA input one for now (unless you can convince me otherwise but I'm a skeptic of cables).

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 11
I couldn't tell you much about the Headfive with ICs, since I had to make my own RCA -> dual 1/4" cable for it to connect to my source.

If you want to find out more about cables though, try and find some head-fiers in your area and get a meet going. That way you can see for yourself whether or not they make a big difference.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 11
contact mmwwhats and have him make you a nice $40 pair of "dead soft solid silver in teflon air-tube dielectric" RCA interconnects - then if you don't feel they are better than $5 cables you didn't lose much money.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 11
Nice way to try DIY some cables. Get some cheap Canare/Mogami. The Mogami sound a lot better than the cable I used before and mind you, I was very skeptical as well. But even upon the first time I used the Mogami everything sounded much better to me. And that while I wasn't expecting it at all.

Oct 12, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 11
So to hook it up into a soundcard, I'd need a RCA to 1/8" cable?

EDIT: Need not worry, answered my own questions, that being no as I can use the SPDIF output of the Prelude for the amp.

EDIT 2: "Prelude DOES NOT support EAX effects through it's spdif out (unless using dolby live)"

Oh nos! mmmmm....that's a pain. A big one.
Turning on Dolby Live then Game Mode before playing games?
Other solutions?

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 11
Meh. If you're going to use digital out you might not need such an expensive card. BTW, AFAIK you can't use digital out. Your amp takes an analogue sound and amplifies it. You need a DAC or soundcard to converse the digital audio into analogue. In that case, you will need a mini-rca cable.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh. If you're going to use digital out you might not need such an expensive card. BTW, AFAIK you can't use digital out. Your amp takes an analogue sound and amplifies it. You need a DAC or soundcard to converse the digital audio into analogue. In that case, you will need a mini-rca cable.

Eh, most modern soundcards have an internal DAC and the Prelude's DAC is pretty darn good...(AKM AK4396VF).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back