Corda Headamp Questions
Oct 6, 2002 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ray4jc

100+ Head-Fier
Can someone with a corda headamp-1 give me some advice. i'm strongly considering purchasing a corda headamp from Meier-Audio.

I am considering also getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT831's to go with the corda.

Could someone give me some advice and please be gentle lol.

Thanks.

Ray

Oct 6, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi, Ray,

Which are actually your questions?
wink.gif

Anyway, I can still give you an "answer": I bought the Corda HA-1 a couple of months ago from Dr. Meier and I am extremely happy with it.

It seems to me that everyone on this forum having this amp is in the same situation
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck!

greenhorn

Oct 6, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 10
ray4jc...

...how it sounds specifically with the DT831 I can't tell you, but the Corda is an excellent amp for the money. It is fast, clear, flat and strong and fine with the HD 600, the Ety ER-4X and the Grado SR 80...

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Oct 6, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 10
ray4jc: Probably a nice combo. I've only heard the DT831 briefly, but it sounded promising. And as the Corda HA-1 works fine with all the other 250-Ohm-Beyerdynamics, I've tried it with (DT531, DT250/250, DT990Pro/250 and DT770Pro/250), I'm 99,9% sure you'll get nice results with the DT831, too. It might be worthwhile to try the 120-Ohm-jack of the Corda with the DT831, though, from what I've read here...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 10
There are reviews in the Headphone section about using the DT931’s with the Corda, also over at Headwize. The Headphones seem to really shine when used with the 120-ohm jack. So much so that people have modified other amps by adding the 120 ohms. Matching the impedance seems to be important with these headphones.

I’m just wrapping up buying the 931’s from Jan Meier for use with my Corda HA-1. Because of the positive reviews.

Be bold and do some searches. Some useful information is available.

Oct 7, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 10
Last December, I ordered a Corda HA-1 and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT831 from Meier. I liked the Corda a lot. My review is in the featured amp reviews section if you care to read it.

I liked the DT831 not quite so well. I thought horns sounded especially good on it and it wasn't bad overall but the headphone was somewhat bright and the rolled off the bass so much as to be bothersome for me.

If you don't need a closed design headphone, my advice is against the DT831 entirely. The DT931 is a good compliment to the Corda HA-1 and would probably make you happier overall.

If you do need a closed headphone, I strongly suggest you consider the Ultrasone HFI-650 which Meier also carries and I've been enjoying recently. The DT250-80 are old favorites there but have slightly rolled off treble--kind-of the opposite of the DT831.

Oct 7, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 10
Why not the new Porta Corda? It can run Class A.

I have stock Corda and old PC, PC w/ 24v battery is 90% of Corda with good power cord (VP3). The only difference I can heard is from AKG501 and SACD from 9000es player. Use the money you save to buy a new Sony 500V player, which is very good player.

Oct 8, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 10
I have the HA-1/Beyer DT831 combination. I like it a lot, despite the bright top end and lack of a strong bottom end. It does make a difference when using it out of the 120-ohm jack--the brightness does seem to be tamed just a bit. I wouldn't try it out of the 0 ohm, though--it can burn a hole in your ear.

If you're looking for a closed phone, the combination is a good one. I have not heard the Ultrasone HFI-650 (soon I hope) but I do have the previous model, the 600s, and they were a good value in a closed phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back