Corda Cantate VS Corda Arietta & EMU 0404 USB DAC
Sep 26, 2007 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

freestyler

Head-Fier
After much more reading since my first thread i came down to a home solution since i don't care about my equipment being portable at all.
The reason i made a new thread is because there is no other thread or even posts comparing the Cantate DAC with 0404 USB. (i searched a LOT - through google as well).
I will use exclusively my desktop computer for listening music so i need a dac.
The question is: Will Corda Cantate (which costs 450 euro) sound better than Corda Arietta WITH 0404 USB as a DAC? (400 total euro)
I should say here that i don't care at all for the extra uses of the 0404 USB like recording,midi or the amp it has so, is there any other cheaper DAC that has the same quality as 0404 without the extra features? (i found Silverstone EB01 but it turns out it's not that good compared to creative's)

Almost forgot: The headphones will be Sennheiser's HD650 and really i don't want to spend more than 450 euros (around 650 dollars) for an AMP + DAC. It's already too much for me. (i hate this site
frown.gif
)

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 20
I don't think someone can compare yet as Cantate is only here since a month or so

I guess that the DAC of Cantate due to the reputation or Meier product and the range price of it will be better then 0404 USB DAC, that's just my idea, i can't compare them technically

I have Cantate and i can tell you you won't regret to have it if you buy it
eek.gif

BTW i was like you when i came here, i asked just for a supra-aural headphone, buy Grado sr-60, fall in LOVE with Grado sound (you should test one before go on Sennheiser's HD650 ) and finally.... well buy much but the sound i have deserve it
rs1smile.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 20
You are right. I haven't realized that cantate is a new product (i read those forums for about 2 weeks only). That's why there are so few threads about it. :p
Anyway i've read every possible thread with the word cantate on it and can't find clearly if it's DAC is better than 0404 USB.
If someone could tell it's better than the EMU then i would go and order it right now. But i guess 0404 is better as a dac sporting a better/newer chip. (AK5385A vs PCM2702)
Getting AMP + DAC as different devices will make things easier if i want to upgrade something later on as well.
We know that as for the AMP part, Arietta is pretty close to Cantate and taking into account that 0404 + Arietta will cost me 100 euros less (150 + 200) than Cantante (450) i think i'll pass Cantate.

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 20
Hey Guys,

I just completed a review of the Meier Cantate vs MAD Ear+purist HD1
today and posted it under the thread title of "weekend showdown - MAD vs Meier ! "

It may not be of assistance to you as I do not use the onboard DAC to process the sound but rather feed signal via RCA inputs from a CD player.

Go to - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=263100

Cheers !

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by freestyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway i've read every possible thread with the word cantate on it and can't find clearly if it's DAC is better than 0404 USB.
If someone could tell it's better than the EMU then i would go and order it right now. But i guess 0404 is better as a dac sporting a better/newer chip. (AK5385A vs PCM2702)

I'll too want to read some review about DAC of Cantate vs any other Amp/Dac but found none yet as all people doing review/comparaison don't use DAC part of Cantate, the only i read what the one i wrote
icon10.gif
but compared to a lower price range Bithead Amp/DAC.

Anyway for me it's just for fun that i want that comparaison, let's see if someone else can answer to you question.

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 20
This is indeed a thread of interest, although I haven't thought of these exact models but rather "USB/DAC amp vs. (USB/PCI) soundcard & amp". Perhaps there are comparison with the older model, the Corda Aria instead. *off to search*

Sep 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by freestyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered the Cantate finally (along with hd650) but keep this thread up for other people that want to know how good is the cantate DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you will be very happy with the cantate.

Mine arrived last Fri. Sept.28 and it sounds great.

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the Arietta drive the HD650 OK?

My Arietta can drive my HD 580 with no problem...
So I guess a HD650 wouldn't be a problem either....
But if you use something better than an Arietta, you'll still hear some improvements...
Imho...in this price range...the Arietta is a really good bargain...

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #15 of 20
skylab's recent review of the meier amps concluded that the arietta actually sounded very similar to the cantate...

the emu 0404 (usb?) has a better DAC than the aria... but not sure about the cantate...

hope that helps a bit. cantate = all-in-one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back