Corda Aria vs others in it's price range...?
May 8, 2006 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I am intrested in buying a complete system, headphones/amp/source. For headphones I am intrested in getting both a MS1 and a HD580. So, now I need a amp, and a computer source. I am not wanting to spend more than $450, give or take a few dollars. I hear that the Corda Aria is a very good amp/source at that price range, but my question is, is there anything better? I also would not mind getting a seperate amp ($300-ish) and a soundcard ($100-ish). Which do you think would be better? If you do reccomend me a amp and a seperate soundcard, which would you reccomend? I'm looking for something that would go well with both Grado's and Sennheiser's, and also other headphones, as I plan on upgrading when my budget allows. Thanks for reading. Anything is helpful.

May 9, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 16
Bozebuttons was kind enough to loan me his Corda Aria for the NJ meet we had a while back. We had it hooked up to my notebook computer and my Grado SR-225, among other headphones. And I thought it did a fantastic job. At the beginning I wasn't so sure about it with my older audio-technica woodies, but after it warmed up (and it was brand new, so needed burning-in) it had this nice balanced sound with the SR-225 and audio-technica woodies. More than a few people came by the table and were quite pleased with what they were hearing with those headphones.

Honestly, I don't know if there are better combos out there for the price. In fact, I'm kinda certain there are. I've discovered that I've run across lots of random awesomely sounding pieces, or synergies between gear that surprised me. But the question is do you really want to seek them out? If you get the Aria you can be confident that you're getting a well made and designed unit by a truely experienced headphone amp manufacturer. And I've heard enough to say that the Aria performs very well for its price range and design specs.

Best regards,

-Jason

May 9, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Bozebuttons was kind enough to loan me his Corda Aria for the NJ meet we had a while back. We had it hooked up to my notebook computer and my Grado SR-225, among other headphones. And I thought it did a fantastic job. At the beginning I wasn't so sure about it with my older audio-technica woodies, but after it warmed up (and it was brand new, so needed burning-in) it had this nice balanced sound with the SR-225 and audio-technica woodies. More than a few people came by the table and were quite pleased with what they were hearing with those headphones.

Honestly, I don't know if there are better combos out there for the price. In fact, I'm kinda certain there are. I've discovered that I've run across lots of random awesomely sounding pieces, or synergies between gear that surprised me. But the question is do you really want to seek them out? If you get the Aria you can be confident that you're getting a well made and designed unit by a truely experienced headphone amp manufacturer. And I've heard enough to say that the Aria performs very well for its price range and design specs.

Best regards,

-Jason

Thanks for the reply. So, if I'm reading this right, your saying that I could find better, but the Corda Aria is still good and I would have the peace of mind, knowing that it is a well contructed and well designed amp? I'm still looking for more comments, and also, the Corda Aria against a seperate amp and soundcard. Thanks everyone.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 16
The Aria would be my choice if I had $450 to spend.

Or you could get a EMU 0404 soundcard and something like a Headamp Gilmore Lite for around $400 which should provide you with comparable sound quality. This Gilmore is known for good synergy with Grado's. Or you could pair it with the Headroom Micro Amp (DM). I had been running the EMU0404 with a Micro Amp with great results.

Also consider if you might want to go with a Headroom Micro DAC ($300) and a cheaper amp. That would put you into a excellent premium DAC source, and for $150 leftover, you should still be able to get a worthy amp.

May 9, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 16
I liked the Aria so well that I bought two of them. And no, the second one is not for sale.
wink.gif

May 9, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The Aria would be my choice if I had $450 to spend.

Or you could get a EMU 0404 soundcard and something like a Headamp Gilmore Lite for around $400 which should provide you with comparable sound quality. This Gilmore is known for good synergy with Grado's. Or you could pair it with the Headroom Micro Amp (DM). I had been running the EMU0404 with a Micro Amp with great results.

Also consider if you might want to go with a Headroom Micro DAC ($300) and a cheaper amp. That would put you into a excellent premium DAC source, and for $150 leftover, you should still be able to get a worthy amp.

So many choices and so little money
frown.gif
. At the moment, I'm leaning more toward the Corda Aria, because once you factor in the cost of shipping the Gilmore buying interconnects, the price would actually be just a tad more expensive. But, on the other hand, the Gilmore seems to "synergise" with everything, and it's just sooo pretty (yes, I'm vain). So, what should I do....??
tongue.gif

May 9, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
So many choices and so little money
frown.gif
. At the moment, I'm leaning more toward the Corda Aria, because once you factor in the cost of shipping the Gilmore buying interconnects, the price would actually be just a tad more expensive. But, on the other hand, the Gilmore seems to "synergise" with everything, and it's just sooo pretty (yes, I'm vain). So, what should I do....??
tongue.gif

I am in the same boat:

I have an Emu-0404 and I was looking for an amp.

Choices:

1. Keep the 0404 and buy a Gilmore Lite.
2. Sell the 0404 and purchase the Aria.

???

May 9, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 16
If you want to save some money, get the HeadFive ($250) and the SilverStone EB01 ($90). You'll get almost the same functionality and save a fair amount of cash.

May 9, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Thanks for the reply. So, if I'm reading this right, your saying that I could find better, but the Corda Aria is still good

Well to some degree. I guess what I'm really saying is finding synergistic components that match your gear and your sound is hard. It's hard to say what's the "best". I've heard random DIY stuff that just synergizes well, and I've heard ultra expensive professional stuff truly make things shine.

So because it's random and will take time and effort, and will take a lot of listening by you, I'm saying why not just stick with the Aria, because it is a great performer, and use that as your starting board to start your journey into what is the best for you. As great and informed and helpful people are here, nothing comes close to you listening to a lot of stuff.

Best regards,

-Jason

May 9, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 16
I've got an Aria sitting right here and I LOVE it. I've got an EMU 1212M installed in the computer that I have used just for comparison with the USB DAC in the Aria. For the most part I'm preferring the nice fast but slightly grainy presentation of the Aria as compared to the totally smooth and neutral but also slow boring side of the EMU (the 0404 is supposed to be more colored/fast). I think the amp in the Aria is very satisfying and even if you decide to add a source on later, you won't have to look at the built in DAC as a loss. Throwing more money into a source might fine tune your presentation but I think you'll find that the Aria will still have something to offer.

As far as Senns with the Aria, I prefer my MPX3 (or any quality tube amp) to justabout any solid state amp I've heard with the HD-600/HD-650. That said the Aria will do a fine job, just not my taste for how I want those headphones to sound.

May 10, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 16
I heard the Aria for the first time the other day. To say I was surprised at the beautiful style and solid build would be an understatement. It's casing and build is astonishing for the price. As for the sound I was quite taken aback as well, it sounded far better than I anticipated. For some reason I had the impression this amp was going to sound average given it's price point but it's quite nice sounding indeed and now I find it a steal at the price, especially factoring in the USB DAC and again the build/aesthetics. I found it was able to drive both Grado's and Senn HD650's quite well. Sonically it has sort of a warmer character, the treble range seems just a bit subdued but I never felt like it was missing anything. It made great music. It doesn't act like a microscope and it may not be the most neutral amp I have heard but it is very musical. I had a slew of headphones to try with it and I personally found the HD650 formed a really nice synergy with the amp. They both possess somewhat of a similar character, the same sort of general signature in some way, and so they just seemed to mesh and fit together quite well. Very easy to listen to and extremely non-fatiguing but never boring. With bass heavy music the combo shined big time where the bass was very big, tight and detailed. All in all a very nice amp. I guess those reports saying it's about on par with it's bigger brother the HA-2 must be true. I never got to hear the internal DAC but hope to next time I get to hear that amp.

May 10, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 16
The Aria is an exceptional value amp/DAC combo. (It was absurd at that introductory price a while ago.) Good transparency, clean sound, well constructed, plays well with a wide range of headphones -- it's a really nice product. For $600 you can get yourself a Micro Stack, which is roughly comparable to the Aria in my experience. The stack tends to be more forward and maybe a little warmer (haven't compared closely in quite a while, so don't quote me on that one). Of the two, I slightly prefer the sound/crossfeed of the stack but I really like the price tag and value of the Aria.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

May 10, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #14 of 16
What about

Aria Vs MF X-Can V3 ?

about the same price I think

May 10, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sami
What about

Aria Vs MF X-Can V3 ?

about the same price I think

I haven't had a chance to demo the V3 yet but the Aria is substantially better than the stock V2 IMO.

NOTE: V2 impressions based on 30 min demo in quiet room with my headphones and nice CDP - haven't owned one.

Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back