Copy protection: ripped/burned CD vs. original CD
Jun 20, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #16 of 33
You should boycott these copy protected CDs, JaZZ. This is what i do. If your setup is very transparent you should hear a nasty background noise with these CDs due to the constant interpolation. In fact it's like they selling you a CD with 25% of the real data on it!

I think, but i'm not sure, that this process is done at the pressing plant, so when you do a copy there's no way to recover data lost in first place.

Jun 20, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #17 of 33
It wouldn't surprise me if they use far more strict copy protection schemes in Europe where i have often these copy protected schemes are introduced into the market for testing purposes compared to the US.

Just googling it and see if others in your country are having the same issue.

Jun 20, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

I think it is a good principle to copy copy-protected CDs and avoid copying unprotected ones.

i understand the theory and the perceived need but it has been proven over and over and over

1-ALL copy protection methods so far devised are detrimental to absolute sound quality-there is no totally benign copy protection method

2-no matter what lengths they go to someone will find a workaround so what we end up with is both inferior sound AND non-secure music so why screw up the music for the rest of us who pay for a product and expect a certain level of quality inherenty in the medium if not screwed with ?

Those who want to steal always will find a way to do it but like every other over reaction in life it is always the innocent who pay the price for the guilty.

Just my personal opinion,means nothing

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 33
as long as EAC reports 'Copy OK' at the end of the log, it should be copied perfectly.. at least they say so
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

as long as EAC reports 'Copy OK' at the end of the log, it should be copied perfectly.. at least they say so

That's the good news.

The bad news is with an already comprimised signal due to the initial copy protection you can only get a 1:1 copy of the damage already done ,not acopy of the unaltered original.Once something is lost in an audio signal you can never get it back.
You can in some cases "sythesize" something that approximates what was lost but never can you recover original content once lost or distorted

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 33
As long as the program you use to copy the CD is able to "Ignore illegal TOC", you should be able to get a perfect 1:1 copy of the copy-controlled CD..

I use Alcohol 120% to backup my albums..

Jun 21, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #22 of 33
The new Foo Fighters album was copy protected as well but there is something to combat this and it's the shift key. When inserting the disc, the autorun program starts up and starts installing all these programs for copy protection. While inserting the disc, hold down the SHIFT key until Windows recognizes the disc. This disables the autorun feature and ta-da! no more copy protection installation.

If you are still unable to rip, follow these instructions:
open command prompt (start>programs>accessories>command prompt) and type the followind lines in (one at a time, pressing enter at the end):
net stop sbcphid
del %systemroot%\system32\drivers\sbcphid.sys
and you will be good to go!

And yes, the Coldplay X&Y album overseas DOES have copy protection. Hope this works for you JaZZ!

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbtayag
...there is something to combat this and it's the shift key. When inserting the disc, the autorun program starts up and starts installing all these programs for copy protection. While inserting the disc, hold down the SHIFT key until Windows recognizes the disc. This disables the autorun feature and ta-da! no more copy protection installation.

Thanks, I know the shift key trick, but also running EAC prevents copy-protected disks from loading their player program. Unfortunately that doesn't mean copy protection isn't «loaded», the latter feature is ineffaceably engraved in the CD in the form of specific data gaps. And these, or their specific implementation with «X&Y», resp., are the culprit in my case. EAC could rip the disc, but had an extreme amount of errors to correct, which took it the five hours for extraction.

Quote:

And yes, the Coldplay X&Y album overseas DOES have copy protection.

Yes, it sure has -- it's highly visible on the rear cover. Which makes me wonder if the American version doesn't have copy protection at all. I mean...

Quote:

I ripped the new Coldplay X&Y CD without any difficulties whatsoever. All the tracks were successfully extracted with 100% quality and the extraction even approached 24X towards the end of the disc...

...how can you get 100% track quality from a copy-protected disc?

Still I would like to know: Is it better to use the ripped/error-corrected/burned copy or the original CD for playback in the case of copy protection? I have experienced disadvantages with both approaches (although just in rare cases).

peacesign.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
...how can you get 100% track quality from a copy-protected disc?

In all honesty it should not be called "copy-protected disc" but "disk with included errors at no extra cost". With all the playback issues I keep hearing I can't imagine HOW any sane producer can make a decision to include "copy protection" on the release. Is it not up to them or are they just brain washed or totally ignorant of the issues involved?

As to the question of which is better, sound wise, the original disk with errors or supposedly 'corrected' copy of the disk. I guess it depends on how the errors have been 'corrected' aside from how/if its audible on a given playback system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
You can in some cases "synthesize" something that approximates what was lost but never can you recover original content once lost or distorted

Looking at the 'chunk' of data containing the error one should be able to fairly easily approximate what that missing/erred data might have been therefore restoring that data as close as possible to the original. Will it be perfect? sure it will not but I guess its better then not doing it at all so in theory I would think the corrected copy should be better then the original but no idea how audible that would be.

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Which makes me wonder if the American version doesn't have copy protection at all.

The American version of Coldplay's X&Y has ZERO copy protection. When I ripped it all the tracks came out to 100% track quality.

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #26 of 33
after liasing with friends all over the planet regarding X&Y:

-the US version is NOT Copy-Protected.
-SOME european versions are CP'ed [finland, sweden and uk report CP. france, germany (and strangely...) the uk report NO CP].
-ALL asian versions (japan, indonesia, malaysia, australia and singapore) are CP'ed.

the CP version clearly states that it is CP'ed in white text on a black background on the back label.

naturally if you buy an 'import' version in the US, chances are that it'll be CP'ed.

it seems that EMI has chosen to offload their @$&%$@* CP'ed versions on less-litigious territories, namely anywhere besides the US of A.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
it seems that EMI has chosen to offload their @$&%$@* CP'ed versions on less-litigious territories, namely anywhere besides the US of A.
rolleyes.gif

Take note all Americans who complain about lawyers -- we do some good!
USA! USA!
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
after liasing with friends all over the planet regarding X&Y:

-the US version is NOT Copy-Protected.
-SOME european versions are CP'ed [finland, sweden and uk report CP. france, germany (and strangely...) the uk report NO CP].
-ALL asian versions (japan, indonesia, malaysia, australia and singapore) are CP'ed.

the CP version clearly states that it is CP'ed in white text on a black background on the back label.

naturally if you buy an 'import' version in the US, chances are that it'll be CP'ed.

rolleyes.gif

The Canadian version is protected. It's a PITA! Actually, with the draconian DMCA, I'm shocked that the US version is protection-free.

I use CloneCD to rip to an image file and then use ISOBuster to extract the WAVs and then encode them with FLAC. That's not perfect either though. Depending on the drive I use for the ripping, I may get "clicks" in some of the tracks.

Next time I might just try letting EAC go at it and see what happens.

Oh yeah, I'm going to pick up an Asus S520 too -- they're only $20 CDN here in town. Heck, I might get a couple! It seems foolish to buy a CD-ROM in this day and age, but hey, the price is right.

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbtayag
The new Foo Fighters album was copy protected as well but there is something to combat this and it's the shift key. When inserting the disc, the autorun program starts up and starts installing all these programs for copy protection. While inserting the disc, hold down the SHIFT key until Windows recognizes the disc. This disables the autorun feature and ta-da! no more copy protection installation.

I did that and tried copying it with SonicStage 3.1, DANG that was slow!! Not only did it take forever, it stopped half-way through and said the disc was unreadable! I was like What? and just clicked the rest of the songs to rip and it worked fine (still slow)...copy protection blows, and SonicStage wouldn't even recognize my Acceptance cd...umm, columbia records is GHEY!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back