COPY CONTROLLED CDS!
Aug 24, 2005 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bnwug

New Head-Fier
it used not to be a problem for my computer. i use an ipod so i have always been using itunes to import music from CD into my computer. copy controlled CDs used not to be any problems, even though i can not see the "CD Audio" files in my Windows File Manager, my iTunes can always read the CD. But now the problem is that my Laptop couldn't do it. Both my Desktop and my Laptop are running Windows XP, and both have Service Pack 2 installed. The differenciation is that my desktop is using iTunes 4.5 while my Laptop is using iTunes 4.8. Is that what is preventing me from importing music from copy controlled CD into my laptop? i'm really frustrated right now. I tried other programs on my laptop, like foobar and Windows Media Player, all of them can not detect the Audio CD in my E Drive, while in the Windows File Manager it clearly shows that an Audio CD is in the E Drive. What's wrong? is it just the matter of the program that i use? or is my computer totally ruined, meaning i can NEVER import Music into my computer from a copy controlled CD anymore? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

p.s. I've also tried pressing the shift key when i insert the CD into my laptop. it still doesn't work, neither could itunes, foobar or Windows Media Player read the CD. Should i try other programs? I only want to do it if necessary, because i hate installing unnecessary programs on my computer, like someone is suggesting EAC in other threads. i mean, if the problem is on my PC it wouldn't matter what program i'm using. But if someone have had this same situation before and that EAC still works under the aforementioned circumstances then i'll try using EAC.

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHY I CAN STILL DO IT WITH MY DESKTOP BUT NOT MY LAPTOP!!! phaque RIAA

Aug 24, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 12
update on the situation

i am just trying to see if the problem is with my laptop, or with the audio programs that i'm using. and i've mentioned that my desktop can still read copy controlled CDs so i was wondering if it is the itunes version or not. so i was thinking, if it is about the itunes, then it probably means that if i put the same copy controlled CD in my desktop then windows media player wouldn't be able to read it, too. so i inserted the same CD into my desktop, and tried to open windows media player to see if it can read the CD or not. unfortunately, it CAN. that means all audio programs on my desktop can read that copy controlled CD. and now obviously the problem is with my laptop, maybe it is the windows updates, or my laptop is just infected with some RIAA virus (it is a kind of virus, because it is vile!!!!) damn, this copy control thing is really getting on my nerves, i pay for every single track of my music. this is unfair!!!! please if anyone knows how i can somehow delet that virus from my computer (eg. through registartion edit etc...) please let me know!!!!

Aug 24, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 12
It could simply be the CD Rom drive itself as certain brands of drives (i.e. Plextor) are better at reading copy protected CDs.

What kind of copy portection is it (i.e. which record company)? Is it EMI Copy Control?

Try using an older version of Exact Audio Copy (i.e version 0.95 prebeta). Under the action menu, there is a TOC alterations setting. Set it to detect TOC manually. This often works with a lot of copy protected CDs. They have since removed this fuction from newer versions of EAC.

blink.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Download and Install EAC.
Open EAC.
Insert CD while holding the Shift key until the CD comes up in EAC
Rip as WAV to desktop folder.
Use iTunes or anything to convert into file format you'd like.

What CD is it anyway? I've never had a problem with copy protection on any album I've found it on using the above method.

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Get yourself an iRiver or iAudio HD-Player and you can copy any audio-CD from your Hifi-System directly to the player (optical or analog line-in). Its so easy
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by headache
Get yourself an iRiver or iAudio HD-Player and you can copy any audio-CD from your Hifi-System directly to the player (optical or analog line-in). Its so easy
biggrin.gif

That takes too long, 1:1 time. Just use EAC.

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Sounds to me it's the optical drive. Some optical drive is better at reading/recognizing copy controlled CDs than other. My guess is your desktop optical drive is "better" at this than the laptop drive.

Solutions:
1. Rip the CD to WAV with your desktop. Burn that wav to a CD-R or DVD. Than you can convert the WAV files to anything you want on your laptop.
2. If you want an intact CD, just make a backup AudioCD on CD-R with your desktop. The CD-R copy will be free of any copy protection.

Aug 24, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhlbbs
My soloution to this problem is very simpel but perhaps a bit radical. I simply refuse to buy any cd that is marked as copyprotected. One of My friends always buys them and then sends them back to the manufaturer complaining that they can't label them with the cd logo as they are not redbook.

I agree with you 100%. No matter how much I like a band/CD, if it is copy protected, then I refuse to buy it. We should not pay $10-$15 for something that is not guaranteed to work in every player or computer. I refuse to the support the music companies and all their schemes!

I recently made that mistake when I was visiting Canada. I was in a hurry and bought Coldplay’s X&Y CD and I didn’t notice the EMI copy controlled logo on the CD (the CD is all black). To my surprise, I found out that the US version of the same CD is not copy controlled. So I gave the unopened copy controlled version to a friend (who probably couldn’t care less) and bought a copy of the US version.

blink.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnwug
...or my laptop is just infected with some RIAA virus (it is a kind of virus, because it is vile!!!!) damn, this copy control thing is really getting on my nerves, i pay for every single track of my music. this is unfair!!!! please if anyone knows how i can somehow delet that virus from my computer (eg. through registartion edit etc...) please let me know!!!!

I have tried this with great success with Velvet Revolver's Contraband CD, which has active, albiet sloppy, copy protection:
1. Turn Off Autorun. Autorun isn't always a good thing to have on anyway, especially if said disc has a setup program it would access anyway.
2. Check to see if you have a file called sbcp.hid or scbphid on your system and GET RID OF IT! This is that RIAA virus that copy protected CD's might try to install on your system, even if you disagree with the included EULA. I just X the sucker and shut autorun off. Note that this is the only version of active protection that I have run into so far. I plan on buying Coldplay's X&Y disc, and breaking right through the copy protection garbage.
3. Use EAC to make WAV rips of the disc, and do the happy dance!

580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 26, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 12
I've found indeed as people said here, that it's sometimes a matter of CD readers... on my computer, copy controlled cd's can be ripped only from my philips CD-burner but not from my pioneer dvd-rom drive for example.
But in any case, i use Easy CD-DA Extractor to rip copy controlled cd's and it works great for me, so i suggest you try it. a trial version is available at www.poikosoft.com

Aug 26, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 12
Discussions of how to circumvent copy protection are not permitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back