Copper vs silver cables
Feb 8, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #46 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you feel the need to answer for someone else?

Do not stress, those two are joined at the hip. Their goal? - to educate this oblivious community about their universal truths. To re-phrase - anti cable fundamentalists.

It would not surprise me if they go door knocking on a Saturday morning, clipboard in hand - preaching their views to those not interested.

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #47 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you feel the need to answer for someone else?

I will say this: Speakers do give you the most realistic experience. I do not use them, however. Why? Money, a good speaker setup costs a lot more than a good headphone setup. Not to mention I live with others and speakers would be too disturbing for them, and I can't go tearing apart my living space to get good acoustics.

And, you do need to calm down. Your post is bordering on a personal attack.

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #48 of 245
I'm happy to discuss audio issues if people can keep their tempers and not resort to semantic argumentativeness. Ask clear questions, and I will give clear responses.

Speakers are always used by recording engineers to monitor, mix and master. Headphones are only used when isolation is required. I only use headphones when I'm doing noise reduction work on old recordings. I have Sennheiser HD-590s, which I find are reasonably flat in their response and are close enough to sounding like speakers that I can ballpark stuff as a first pass on them. But speakers are the baseline and that's where most of my work is done.

See ya
Steve

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #49 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did your answer address this question?
confused.gif

Originally Posted by 883dave
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that on a HEADPHONE site...you are trying to give newbies direction... "If you're really serious about great sound, you need speakers"

I quoted the title of this forum. Actually, I copied the wrong line. Here is the correct title of this forum...

Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories

This is a forum where speakers are discussed.

See ya
Steve

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #50 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently no cables color the sound, and all cables are neutral, because they all sound the same.

If they are doing their job correctly, that is absolutely correct. Coloration is added in tone controls or equalization. Everything else should be flat and clean.

See ya
Steve

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #51 of 245
I bought a cable from Ultimate Cables called the Silver C4 RCA and it is a great cable. They are not really expensive about $45 and can be found on his website and on ebay. This cable has a copper core and is coated with silver until it is the same amount of material as the copper. I feel it is the best of both worlds. I would not pass judgement on this cable until after at least 30 hours of burn-in. At first it sounded kind of harsh but really warmed up after I burned it in properly. Now the sound has a better balance between the highs and the lows. I know that many people feel that cables do not make a difference, but I am not one of them. That being said I do not feel you have to spend much more than $50 to get a good cable.

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #52 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I quoted the title of this forum. Actually, I copied the wrong line. Here is the correct title of this forum...

Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories

This is a forum where speakers are discussed.

See ya
Steve

Once again Steve .... here is the actual question .... not the one you quoted above.

Originally Posted by bigshot
I've supervised recording and mixing for CD and TV release. I can recognize sloppy engineering when I hear it.

Originally Posted by sacd lover
So you can recognize a bad recording when you hear it but you cant recognize a poor sounding or good sounding cable match?

Since all you do is talk around the question .... I will answer .... sure you can. Why .... because cables do sound different.

Secondly, I had posted another question you seem to have missed .....

Originally Posted by bigshot
Cables should be neutral. If they color the sound, they are defective.

You state cables should be neutral and if they color the sound they are defective. What cables are neutral and what cables are colored and thus defective? Could you give me some examples?

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #53 of 245
Quote:

You state cables should be neutral and if they color the sound they are defective. What cables are neutral and what cables are colored and thus defective?

None of them, they all sound the same! Sorry to answer for him but his position is obvious (and yes, flawed, in my opinion and experience).

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #54 of 245
Quote:

because cables do sound different.

Not if they are working properly, they don't. Cables should be neutral. If they color the sound, they are defective.

Quote:

You state cables should be neutral and if they color the sound they are defective. What cables are neutral and what cables are colored and thus defective? Could you give me some examples?

Radio Shack cables are neutral. I have read that a particular Monster Cable was designed to give a slight high end rolloff, presumably to sound more "analog" to people who don't know the difference between flat and colored. I imagine that there are other examples, but I am only interested in neutral cables that don't have a "sound".

See ya
Steve

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #55 of 245
Quote:

None of them, they all sound the same! Sorry to answer for him but his position is obvious (and yes, flawed, in my opinion and experience).

You should spend more time backing up the comment in the parenthesis, and less time speaking for me. I am perfectly able to answer for myself, thank you.

See ya
Steve

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #57 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not if they are working properly, they don't. Cables should be neutral. If they color the sound, they are defective.

Radio Shack cables are neutral. I have read that a particular Monster Cable was designed to give a slight high end rolloff, presumably to sound more "analog" to people who don't know the difference between flat and colored. I imagine that there are other examples, but I am only interested in neutral cables that don't have a "sound".

See ya
Steve

First, all the cables I use pass the full spectrum signal so they are obviously not defective. However, the cables do sound different.

So you have READ the Monsters are different
rolleyes.gif
... as usual, no first hand experience, only conjecture.

I am interested in getting the most life like sound. So, I listen to see what fits that criteria. Imagine that, actual experience with what I am talking about .... instead of parroting what someone else said.

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #58 of 245
Quote:

First, all the cables I use pass the full spectrum signal so they are obviously not defective. However, the cables do sound different.

Then only one could possibly neutral--passing the input directly to the output--or they are all contributing coloration so some degree. To a lot of us, colored sound = defective sound.

If the cables sound different, what is actually different in the output versus the input--how do they change the waveform? Are the cables not flat in amplitude response vs. frequency, do some create phase shift in certain frequency regimes, or what?

The job of any decent cable should be to pass the signal in a completely unaltered state. That's all.

If extremely small changes in cable resistance or other measurable parameters make a significant impact in the final sound--that could very well mean the input and/or output stages of the gear aren't well-designed, could it not?

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #59 of 245
Quote:

So that monster cable sounded different to other cables?

According to the article I read, yes. It also measured different in response. It was deliberately designed to not pass along the signal cleanly. It is possible to create a cable that sounds different. That isn't a good thing though.

See ya
Steve

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #60 of 245
Quote:

So you have READ the Monsters are different
rolleyes.gif
... as usual, no first hand experience, only conjecture.

No. Not conjecture. I believe it was an article in Stereo Review years ago.

Quote:

I am interested in getting the most life like sound.

The best way to achieve that is through speakers that have been tuned to provide a flat response.

If you want me to continue to be polite, you can begin being polite yourself. I'm ignoring your snide comments right now, but I won't forever.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back