Cooler Master Musketeer III for my first amp?
Feb 9, 2007 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
I'm buying my first real Headphones today (Audio-Technica A900s) and with them I was going to buy my first amp. I know I don't need an amp for these headphones, but I like the idea of having a headphone port and volume control on the front of my computer.

Is this a good idea for my first amp/headphone purchase?

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 29
Has anyone ever even heard of the Musketeer 3?

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 29
CMMlogo.jpg

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...DMusketeer%203

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 29
Vaccum tube sound... thing... review w/pics

Not only does this strike me as pure marketing gimmick...
But Tom's can't even find *anything* to say about the sound.
My guess is that a cMoy would work better.

If considering the AT 900s, why not look at the HA25D, also sold by Audiocubes. I guarantee that would be a much better device, and it's also a DAC.

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 29
What I heard, IIRC, about those, is that the tube is not even connected to the sound, and it is just for look...do a search it was discussed here before IIRC....

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 29
SpacemanSpiff23, they photoshopped that pic just like they photoshop chicks in Playboy. Check out actual pics, and it looks like cheap garbage. Plus you get to hear the needle "pinging" and the volume slider "squeaking". Wow.

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vaccum tube sound... thing... review w/pics

Not only does this strike me as pure marketing gimmick...
But Tom's can't even find *anything* to say about the sound.
My guess is that a cMoy would work better.

If considering the AT 900s, why not look at the HA25D, also sold by Audiocubes. I guarantee that would be a much better device, and it's also a DAC.

I didn't really want to spend a lot of money on the amp, considering most people say an amp doesn't affect the sound of these headphones too much anyway.

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 29
Well thats fine, don't spend the money then.

That vaccum tube has what appears to be, LEDs behind it so as to look like it's glowing. Don't waste your money on this garbage.

Talk to Norm and get a GoVibe if you want a real, quality amplifier on the cheap. Thats $50-$60 WELL spent.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

That vaccum tube has what appears to be, LEDs behind it so as to look like it's glowing. Don't waste your money on this garbage.

Talk to Norm and get a GoVibe if you want a real, quality amplifier on the cheap. Thats $50-$60 WELL spent.

I dropped one into my computer for the hell of it. $50 and I liked the idea of putting a vacuum tube into my dual Opteron monster.

No, it's not fake. It actually uses the tube. There's a reflector behind the tube, which is why it looks like the light isn't entirely coming from the tube. I took it apart to figure out what kind of tube it uses (12AU7), since it's not listed.

Sound quality is OK, but not as good as other amps I have. When I finish my other projects, I might tube roll and upgrade a few parts for the hell of it. Still, for $50, I think it's fun and I'm glad I bought it.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Who's Norm?

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 29
Norm is the guy who makes the GoVibe amps.
http://www.go-vibe-headphoneamp.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's not fake. It actually uses the tube. There's a reflector behind the tube, which is why it looks like the light isn't entirely coming from the tube. I took it apart to figure out what kind of tube it uses (12AU7), since it's not listed.

Sound quality is OK, but not as good as other amps I have.

What you are saying contradicts everything else, here and in reviews posted at hardware sites. I've read several reviews, I've looked at many pics, there are LEDs behind the tube.

Now you can certainly see that whats "glowing" is anything but the tube.

Also, you are calling this an amp, which it is quite apparently not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also concerned that the tube is not glowing, although it does not seem to be burnt out. [no blackness]

Another thing I noticed is that, if anything, my HD201's seem to be quieter coming out of the Musketeer than when I used them from the AV710 line out. I thought this thing was supposed to have 6dB of gain.
confused.gif

I will check this again when I get home, but as far as I remember, the noise is there at minimum and low volume on the musketeer and nearly goes away when you max out volume on the musketeer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I let the 'Musketeer' run for ~2hrs last night and turned off the lights. No tube glow at all... they stuck a couple LEDs in the chamber though and it looks like there is glow at first glance.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ight=musketeer

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ight=Musketeer

Reviews all say similar things as:
"I don't know what it does, but for $50 what did you expect?"

"While we can’t be 100% sure what the Musketeer III is doing to your audio signal we feel that a decent equalizer should be capable of producing the same end results."
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Musketeer%20III/

"but our ears had a difficult time discerning any tangible difference with the Musketeer III in and out of the signal path. One thing we did notice was a minor drop in volume level, which is a little odd because a pre-amp should slightly boost an audio signal, not cut it."
http://maximumpc.com/2006/06/musketeer_iii_t.html

Quote:

So it didn't work out so well... why? Well, with a single unit, the actual output of this unit may be lower than what your soundcards can output, meaning that volume will drop, and that when you have to max the rheostat on the unit out to reach that same volume, distortion may occur.

This seems to be because of a number of factors - first, I'm not going to rule out that the unit I was testing might have had a messed up vacuum tube - which would definitely explain the voltage drop, and neither will I rule out that the voltage coming from the power supply is potentially low.

Quote:

The first of these quirks is the fact that the inbuilt VU meter is far, far too frigging sensitive. Half the time I'll be sitting there at my computer, and behind the music, I'll just hear "click click click" as the needle from the VU meter slams against the right wall time and time again, even when the volume slider is down under a quarter of the way.

Quote:

The second problem, of course is the fact that the first thing you'll notice plugging this unit in is that your volume has just gone WAY down. Trying the unit with headphones on, the sound was barely audible, and this is with system volume as well as the volume slider at their maximum points. These headphones, under normal conditions (plugged into the front audio port) are loud enough to be heard across the room. Not good. Even more amusing, the aforementioned VU meter can be sitting in the red zone yet whispers will come from the user's headphones.

MORE than enough reading on this product for me.

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #13 of 29
I would figure that a decent sound card and some EQ can kick the **** out of this "Tube amp".

I had my share of "Super low price" amps.

Put your logic to work.... If it sounds like a $200 amp, they could have marked it up to $100 and call it a super deal. You figure it out what you're going to get for a $50 tube amp.

Save the dough to upgrade your cans and skip the amp.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back