Cool Looking Schiit
Aug 14, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #481 of 494
Very curious about this! I also can't wait for reviews! Deciding between a number of tube amps to drive my HD 800s that are in this price range and a bit higher (up to 500-600). I'm really curious to see how this will compare to the WA6 because that's one of my top choices. I'm interested in what DoingOK has to say when he gets his Valhalla. I like the names of the Asgard and the Valhalla! When read, it looks like some extravagant product and I'm hoping it will be extravagant. The company name, Schiit, is pretty funny and creative. :D

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #484 of 494

Quote:
I'm very interested in how the two schiit amps perform with HD650, and the differences between them.

I hope it's better than that stupid Zero DAC/Amp that I have. Dang, I would've shipped it back because of the unbalanced volume defect, but 68 dollars to ship back to China?! No thanks. The Schiit Valhalla will probably be my number one option at this point. I simply can't just keep staring at my HD 800s the whole time and the Woo Audio 6 is a bit too far off at this point.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #486 of 494

Quote:
Seconded. Also interested in how each manage the comparable HD600.

Mention is made at Schiit's website of the optimum amp for the Senny's
Edit:  At least they used to mention the Sennys.  Seems like they removed the mention now.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #487 of 494

Quote:
Mention is made at Schiit's website of the optimum amp for the Senny's
Edit:  At least they used to mention the Sennys.  Seems like they removed the mention now.

Ah, endorsements, eh?

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #488 of 494

Quote:
Ah, endorsements, eh?

It's actually still on there...look under the FAQs for the Asgard and Valhalla.

Sounds like the used the Sennheisers while working on the Asgard a lot and the AKGs with the Valhalla.  Those combinations should give us a very close representation of what they wanted their amps to sound like.  Pretty cool as you don't usually see that much info from a manufacturer for a part of the chain.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #489 of 494
Thanks for the info, all. I was aware that Stoddard et al. believe the Asgard is a very good match for the HD600/650's. I wonder, however, what synergy will be had between the Senn's and the Schiit tube amp. Senn's like tubes too, and I wouldn't exactly call them 'low impedance' cans. So I half expect that the Valhalla will play reasonably nice with these cans as well. If not, then it is real no-brainer what amp I need to invest in of the two.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #490 of 494
Thanks for finding that mention, BTW, WGB113.  Given the published specs of both amps I would expect them both to work well with the Sennys, since they're sort of middle of the road impedance wise.  The AKG's, on the other hand, are both lower impedance and harder to drive.  I would expect the Valhalla's strong suit would be with higher impedance cans like the Beyer 600 ohm versions and the Asgard's strong suit to be with low impedance cans like the Grado's and such, but it looks like they were both designed to be good all-rounders, as much as possible.  Cool!

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #491 of 494
Well, that doesn't exactly make my choice any easier, kwkarth!
tongue.gif

I'll obviously just have to wait and see how the reception of the Valhalla plays out.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #493 of 494

There are a few impressions on the new Valhalla shipped thread. But as for me, I'm just waiting for my Asgard.
Quote:
Has anyone received an eval unit or has anyone reviewed the valhalla yet?

Aug 19, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #494 of 494
wow, thanks for the detailed response kwkarth! your knowledge is much appreciated, I definitely understand the specs now.

I think Schiit could revise some of their Asgard data based on these findings.

As a side note, i ordered some passive heat-sink's to add to the bottom (myn is vertical with knob at the bottom) of the Asgard where the heat source is.$3 on fleabay...worth it for the experiment.

cheers, mm
Quote:

I think Levinson is best known now for their Lexus car stereos, but you may be right. I can honestly say the Levinson system in my LS430 was the best car audio I had ever heard. JBL...I don't know about them, they used to "own" some of the studio monitor market and a lot of the guitar amp spkr and sound reinforcement markets, but I'm not sure where they've gone since then. I know they make some good consumer audio docks for iPod.
If you go to Home Depot and get #18 black rubber grommets (1 inch opening) in the plumbing section you can stretch them nicely over the knob of an Asgard, Asgard 2 or other Schiit products. Many use the same size knob (good manufacturing technique to save money) You know have something that looks like it was made for the amp, keeps your pinkies cool and dresses up the look. I also went to Staples and got a package of Avery dots (none in black I am afraid) colored them in with a black permanent marker and stick them on the volume control where the tiny "pin point" is etched into the control. Now you can see its' position from 10 feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back