Cool Looking Schiit
Jun 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #211 of 494

Quote:
Kevin, I am sure you will agree that is just opinion and not fact.

My point was / is that good cheap amps have previously existed. I am not detracting from the work of Schiit, just stating fact to help someone who asked a question.

Leny, I'm not taking issue with your statement that cheap amps have existed in the past.  The OBH-11SE is over 20 years old.  My statement about SQ may be construed as opinion by some depending upon the particular sonic characteristic you're referring to

In a number of respects, the Asgard is a superior design with much stronger output capability, using 20 year newer components.  It's not purely subjective.  If your opinion is that the OBH-11SE is a superior design/product, even though it is less capable, well, that's your opinion too and it is subjective.  What's the point?  

BTW, if for some reason you want to belabor this, please do so via PM so we don't further derail this thread, ok?

Thanks,
kevin

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #213 of 494

Quote:

No, Shiit isn't the first to offer a good inexpensive amp. But then no one is claiming that they are.

What sets Schiit apart is that they're offering a good inexpensive amp without selling out and outsourcing to China. And that is something of a first as far as I'm aware.

se

That's also got the goods in the looks dept!

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #216 of 494
wow ive never been this excited to get a piece of audio gear, not even any of my phones come close to the anticipation of the fedex man! Cant wait till my asgard unit gets here!!!  i hope to offer all of you some more input on this new amp
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #218 of 494

Quote:
No, Shiit isn't the first to offer a good inexpensive amp. But then no one is claiming that they are.

What sets Schiit apart is that they're offering a good inexpensive amp without selling out and outsourcing to China. And that is something of a first as far as I'm aware.

se

You mean its probably a first since the whole outsourcing thing started 
wink_face.gif

Btw, I really hope these guys come up with a portable amp design and shake up that market as I truly believe that is where the real sales are. If they release something at half the price point of the Slim and performs better than the protector..that would really upset a few carts.. 

I should have my TPs tomorrow, got my HE-5s today and then to truly push this little amp I have my Wharfedale Zebs. We are going to have the LCD-2 as well to top off the list. Should be some fun times when Kevin makes his way over to my place with the Asgard..

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #219 of 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You mean its probably a first since the whole outsourcing thing started 
wink_face.gif

Well, yes, given my "outsourcing" qualifier.

Though I'm hard pressed to think of any dedicated headphone amp of comparable quality and price even without the "outsourcing" qualifier.

se

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #221 of 494
Steve, you can probably chime in, but I would imagine to execute a similar design DIY can't be that much cheaper than what they are asking for, no?  I mean the chassis alone is at least $50 in raw cost I would imagine, obviously less if done in a bulk discount, but what random DIYer has the resources to get the bulk pricing discounts needed to get something at this pricepoint, its mind boggling.  That would be the biggest draw for me, something of apparently high quality that I couldn't make myself, or if I commissioned someone else to do, would most likely be more expensive. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #223 of 494

Quote:
theyd probably do well selling these as DIY kits eh?  even cheaper  
blink.gif

There's a reason that companies like Heathkit are no longer in business.  Today, people don't have the time, skills, equipment, or patience for kits.  With today's litigious society, liability insurance alone would put you out of business  An amp like the Asgard might be able to go for $500 if it was a DIY kit with documentation.

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #224 of 494

Quote:
Steve, you can probably chime in, but I would imagine to execute a similar design DIY can't be that much cheaper than what they are asking for, no?

Really depends on what you mean by "similar."

You could probably execute the same circuit using the same parts for oh, I dunno, maybe around $100 perhaps a little less just to take a stab off the top of my head. But that would preclude any sort of custom parts like chassis, knob and circuit board.

Quote:
I mean the chassis alone is at least $50 in raw cost I would imagine, obviously less if done in a bulk discount...

And that would only be for something bought off the shelf. To do a one-off, even something as simple as Schiit's, would cost you more than the Asgard sells for.

Quote:
...but what random DIYer has the resources to get the bulk pricing discounts needed to get something at this pricepoint, its mind boggling.

I don't know about mind boggling. It's really just an example of the advantages of an economy of scale. Combined of course with an efficient design to start with.

Quote:
That would be the biggest draw for me, something of apparently high quality that I couldn't make myself, or if I commissioned someone else to do, would most likely be more expensive.

That's ultimately what most manufacturers are aiming for.
beyersmile.png

se

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #225 of 494

Quote:
Steve, you can probably chime in, but I would imagine to execute a similar design DIY can't be that much cheaper than what they are asking for, no?  I mean the chassis alone is at least $50 in raw cost I would imagine, obviously less if done in a bulk discount, but what random DIYer has the resources to get the bulk pricing discounts needed to get something at this pricepoint, its mind boggling.  That would be the biggest draw for me, something of apparently high quality that I couldn't make myself, or if I commissioned someone else to do, would most likely be more expensive. 

That will be true, with the exception of the higher end DIY endeavors. Until they start pushing into those price points, DIY will still be potentially more cost affective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back