Converting standing speakers to pc speakers queation
Sep 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

maDIEmG

New Head-Fier
I have a friend who wants to get a a pier of Klipsch Synergy F-20's and connect them up to his PC and we aren't sure how to go about it totally. From my limited knowledge I know that we will need an amp and the red white to 3.5 connection, but we don't know what kind of power requirements we will need from the amp and what the whole bi-amp connection is about. So I wanted to ask you guys for some advice.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 4
I have a friend who wants to get a a pier of Klipsch Synergy F-20's and connect them up to his PC and we aren't sure how to go about it totally. From my limited knowledge I know that we will need an amp and the red white to 3.5 connection, but we don't know what kind of power requirements we will need from the amp and what the whole bi-amp connection is about. So I wanted to ask you guys for some advice.

To bi-amp means to use two amplifiers, but I doubt you are going to budget for something like that.

There is bi-wiring, which is supported by some receivers,
you using one receiver and using separate connections (amplifier channels) for driving the speakers.
But I would think your looking at spending over $300 just for a receiver to make it worth it.
(and it still may not be worth it.)

Spend around $65 for an external DAC or a used Xonar DX or D1 sound card.
Then get a simple 2-channel amplifier, check out the simple amplifiers at Parts-Express.

Could also buy a used receiver off Craiglist ($50-$150) or something off eBay.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 4
Typical Klipsch speakers are easy to drive.  I've been using a pair of Hereseys for some time now, and am told they do well with about ten watts of tube power.  I'm using them with seventy watts of high-current power, but the bass control is incredible.  A Marantz 1030 might do very well, or some other low-powered amp or receiver.  Low-powered receivers are especially easy to get cheap.

For connections, I have my wife's laptop and my Mac Mini connected to my main integrated amp with headphone spliters and RCA interconnects.  They sound just fine, even though some would say I need to use a USB DAC.  Alas, my DAC's are coax and optical only.  If you want to do this on the cheap, spliters and interconnects should do you well, if you can avoid ground loops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back