Converting MP3 to FLAC?
Dec 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

asxz

New Head-Fier
I have a bunch of 320kpbs MP3 files I would like to convert to FLAC's. But what I would like to know is will the quality stay the same or will it be better?

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I have a bunch of 320kpbs MP3 files I would like to convert to FLAC's. But what I would like to know is will the quality stay the same or will it be better?

It will certainly not improve. Why would you want to do such a thing ?

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

If you took the time to convert all your 320K audio files to FLAC, it would not improve audio quality and just take up more disk space.
You would need to start out with the original audio CD and convert to FLAC, for it to be worth it.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 6
FLAC is better than MP3. MP3FLAC is as good as MP3.

Buy/Re-download the songs in FLAC or get those CD's and FLAC Rip them.

You can't convert loss audio to lossless audio. The converter doesn't magically fill in the missing pieces.

Tim

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 6
You can not up convert and achieve good results.

Flac is a lossless file format meaning exact bit copy. MP3 is a lossy file format meaning things were removed and is not an exact bit copy. You can not re-add parts that were subtracted. They are gone.

You can not take a lossy format and up convert and get better quality. Thats like taking a 1024x800 image and up converting it to 1600x900. It will be pixelated and be worse than the original copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back