Converting into higher bitrate question (Nooby)
Dec 26, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #16 of 26
I've read it here on these forums a long time ago that some are in a habit of ripping cd's into lossless, and then using those lossless files, they will convert(if desired) to some lesser bitrate(for your pod, dap, etc.).

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read it here on these forums a long time ago that some are in a habit of ripping cd's into lossless, and then using those lossless files, they will convert(if desired) to some lesser bitrate(for your pod, dap, etc.).

Yeah, a lot of people around her do so.
They find it a waste of storage space and battery time to use lossless on the DAP. So they rip en encode to lossless for the computer, then trancode to lossy (MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, ...) for the DAP.

Thats fine though, since the source are lossless. Apart from what asked by the OP.
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #18 of 26
i had to learn this out the hardway. i converted 320 to apple lossless which wasn't too bad. but 128 forget it man. i lost most of my music collection due to a computer theft now i just have what remains on my ipod. i'm redownloading FLAC or 320 only and i'm gonna pick up a D2 since my ipod is on its last legs anywayz. its funny i recommended the D2 to someone at work n they got it and LOVE it. came back n told me about how great it was and thanked me yet i don't have one myself. that will change beginning next month

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your only other option might be to see if any of your 128kbps files are available in iTunes Plus @ 256kbps, and if they are, then upgrade them. I don't know if you'd have to pay or not, but it might be worth checking out
smile.gif

They do have a plan to "plus size" tunes you've already bought.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kicksonrt66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do have a plan to "plus size" tunes you've already bought.

Yes they do, which is nice. I believe it's free, or at least it used to be. I haven't given itunes any money for a long while now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Possibly some devices can play apple lossless but not mp3 ?

Anything is possible, but as of yet this is not the case. Only apple DAPs can play ALAC, and only WMP, VLC, and iTunes can play back ALAC on computer. All of the above can also play mp3.

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #21 of 26
This questions makes me a think about someone here that converted his mp3s to FLAC and said he could definitely hear an improvement.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This questions makes me a think about someone here that converted his mp3s to FLAC and said he could definitely hear an improvement.
biggrin.gif

"Someone" obviously left his/her ears in the bar.
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

That's not the way to go about it. FLAC is too digital and not in the least musical. To get the ideal output, you need to transcode to 32 kbit MP3, then back to FLAC. You will still have large filesizes (Which are important for good audio reproduction) but the transcoding process brings back some of the musicality that was lost when you ripped the CD to FLAC.

It's science.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not the way to go about it. FLAC is too digital and not in the least musical. To get the ideal output, you need to transcode to 32 kbit MP3, then back to FLAC. You will still have large filesizes (Which are important for good audio reproduction) but the transcoding process brings back some of the musicality that was lost when you ripped the CD to FLAC.

It's science.

Perhaps you could explain the process further?

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back