Converting into higher bitrate question (Nooby)
Dec 21, 2008 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

thechungster

1000+ Head-Fier
So I have a bunch of 128kbps songs on iTunes, since I didn't care back then, but now I do. So I want to convert all of them to 320 kbps. I know how to do this, but does the quality change? So here is an example
I have a song which is 128kbps
Convert into 320kbps

Does the quality change? I am not sure since because it is compressed, it can't get better quality? I am really confused at the moment, so the question is, will the quality change, or will it stay the same?

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a song which is 128kbps
Convert into 320kbps
Does the quality change?

Hi there. You can't make a low bitrate file 'higher' just by converting it. Parts of the original data were discarded during the original conversion, and you can't get back what isn't there anymore! Even if you did convert, all you'd end up with is a bigger file size which sound even worse since you'd have converted twice. The only way to improve the quality would be to rip from the original CDs and keep a lossless copy so you can convert to any format in the future.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there. You can't make a low bitrate file 'higher' just by converting it. Parts of the original data were discarded during the original conversion, and you can't get back what isn't there anymore! Even if you did convert, all you'd end up with is a bigger file size which sound even worse since you'd have converted twice. The only way to improve the quality would be to rip from the original CDs and keep a lossless copy so you can convert to any format in the future.

Oh damn, thought so
frown.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh damn, thought so
frown.gif

Your only other option might be to see if any of your 128kbps files are available in iTunes Plus @ 256kbps, and if they are, then upgrade them. I don't know if you'd have to pay or not, but it might be worth checking out
smile.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your only other option might be to see if any of your 128kbps files are available in iTunes Plus @ 256kbps, and if they are, then upgrade them. I don't know if you'd have to pay or not, but it might be worth checking out
smile.gif

Is this a method of getting some good quality tracks. Put the mp3's onto a CD, and rip them back into iTunes, but at a high bit rate? Would this work? And also, I don't have many CD's, I download

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 26
No. As was already stated, there is no way to make a low bit rate file a higher quality.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 26
The quality will change, but only to the worse!
devil_face.gif

Since you will perform a second lossy (throw away audio data) on the already lossy file.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 26
this is why i only pay for CDs i cannot pay money for lossy

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 26
/\/\

Exactly who wants to pay for compressed music. ...(i dont get the lossy on your comment, lossless is good (kinda))

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is why i only pay for CDs i cannot pay money for lossy

Same here!
I don't pay for lossy encoded music. Its either lossless encoded, or go out buying the CD.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here!
I don't pay for lossy encoded music. Its either lossless encoded, or go out buying the CD.

Well I have managed to download some of my favourite daft punk albums at 256kbps
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess I'll have to buy CD's then :/

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 26
^ That's all up to you.
I were only talking about myself.
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 26
No, the quality wont change, or it may get worse as Krmathis said. Either way don't do this. I was recently upset about seeing this option in itunes. If you right click you can "create an apple lossless file" from any mp3. Why would they program that option in? What purpose could that ever serve except to misinform people about the quality of their music?

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you right click you can "create an apple lossless file" from any mp3. Why would they program that option in? What purpose could that ever serve except to misinform people about the quality of their music?

There are sometimes rational reasons for convertiing lossy to lossless. For instance when comparing different mp3 bit rates I used to convert the files to wav then burn them to cd and set my player to randomly play them back. Possibly some devices can play apple lossless but not mp3 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back