Convert wired headphones to bluetooth
Aug 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #16 of 37
Hey i thought about that when I was looking for a set of headphones finally I gave up an bought some noise canceling headphones from bose really cool btw. Then I got a new car w/o Bluetooth but with an aux inlet. For long I had it running with cables really annoying. One day I saw a Bluetooth receiver for aux cable inlets and as a fun test I put the receiver in the inlet hole for my headphones and it worked!!! Now that's the only way I listen to my headphones the receiver is from tabtools and it's quite small and if you have the know how you could perhaps reduce the size even more. The receiver is no larger than a matchbox. I tuck the thing on the headphones because I don't have the know how in electronics but it works and I'm happy as it is. Hope this helps. Oh one last thing, the receiver cost me 39 euros since I bought it in Germany I'm sure you can find one on eBay or amazon or at least something similar.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #18 of 37
I have just embarked on this little conversion quest - though different to the thread originators method.  I have an old pair of Sennheiser HD 215's. They're DJ headphones with pretty large cups. After a quick dissembly I found there was enough space inside to install some components and do some tinkering. 

I went out and ordered an HTC A100 StereoClip receiver (features APT-X for higher quality streaming) 

...which will plug directly into the input of a Fiio E6. 

Both are nice and small with tiny footprint :) I knew the reciever would not be able to drive the HD215's well enough so the E6 should be a good little amp and do the trick. Both will be embedded into or mounted onto the cups. Both are rechargable also and the ports will be easily accessible.

BT from device > HTC A100 > Fiio E6 > Fiio L8 > HD 215's

As far as I've planned, this will not damage or destroy any components and is reversible should i wish to use the cables. A more permanent method will be to swap the female mini port with a male right angle and wire it. This will hide the HTC reciever inside the cup, exposing only the E6

More of the conversion to come when the parts arrive. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #19 of 37
Thanks for the replies to this thread. Something like the Jabra is what I was looking for.

Hey D2000, any updates? Could you post them if/when you do? I've been looking for a solution very much like what you're proposing to do.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:
Thanks for the replies to this thread. Something like the Jabra is what I was looking for.

Hey D2000, any updates? Could you post them if/when you do? I've been looking for a solution very much like what you're proposing to do.

[size=12.727272033691406px]Hey buddy yeah I finished them a while ago just haven't gotten round to updating anything.[/size][size=12.727272033691406px][/size]
[size=12.727272033691406px][/size]
[size=12.727272033691406px]Here's some pics. I ditched the the HTC A100 - it was a terrible reciever with tiny range and no controls, i should have seen it coming. I quickly returned the useless piece and  I ordered the Samsung HS3000.[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px]WOW is that way better. Heaps of controls, INCREDIBLE range (i did a test on my property with an iphone 4 and got to 185 metres, though i did have to keep the receiver in perfect line of site after 30 metres.) The sound quality is also excellent with APT-X BT profile. voice prompts and things of the sort too![/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px]Okay on to the pics![/size]

While it looks like they are even more bulky now, the additions are actually hardly noticable. The HS3000 and E6 are only weigh 30 grams together so its barely a wieght difference. Even so, i added a low profile 30gram weight on the inside of the other cup to ensure a true balance.  

From front on you can really barely see that the HS3000 is there as it lines up with the side of the headband but from the side on it's kinda obvious when the E6 sticks out. 

I was going to have them inside the cups, and was very close to doing so, but i had to keep in mind that i wanted easy access to the controls and charging ports, and so the sacrifice of aesthetics was justified. 

For those after a more permanent mod i would just ditch the shells of both the HS3000/E6 for even lower profile and weight. Then solder extensions or extend the existing controls to the surface of the cup and embed them inside. You could also remove the obtruding L8 cables by hardwiring the circuit together on the boards. I plan on using the two pieces for other things once the HD215's conk out, and wanted the reversable option :) 

Nothing to fancy to mount the E6/HS3000 - just a little superglue for a quick bond and then some epoxy resin after. The superglue is a cyanoacrylate, which partially melts the surface of each plastic during the chemical reaction and strengthens  the bond, but for a more durable bond the epoxy is a good choice. Superglue shatters under high impact. Epoxy takes the hit for the rig :wink:

APT-X is higher quality BT and the E6 has been thoroughly explored already but needless to say the SQ is pretty top notch. Great isolation (as they're dj cans.) The highs, lows and mids are also pretty darn resolving (for a portable BT) set. I suppose its all the use of the cans in the past that helps - nothing like 2000 hours of burn-in to loosen the driver :p

All in all, there's heaps of options. My favourite is the way the E6 is positioned for easy access to the volume rocker using my thumb. The media, power and calling controls on the HS3000 are all exposed, but the volume rocker isn't. I thought that the E6 rocker was ample, and since the HS3000 has a volume memory simply set it on high and control with the E6.

Charging is slightly more clunky, with two different usb cables and ports (mini and micro) but I plan on joining the circuitry or connecting them to a unified battery low profile battery (my eye's are set on an old 1500mA one from a broken Mophie charging case.)
At the moment i get about 8 hours of charge out of the HS3000, and i just charge both up when one needs charging, though the E6 is rated at more than 10 hours. 

On the whole I'm rather pleased. I'll post some more updates tomorrow perhaps before work.

EDIT: Don't bother with the jabra - the HS3000 is way better and just as small.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #21 of 37
What's your battery life been for the Fiio and Samsung devices?

I was thinking about doing something similar, but would love to get a full 8-12 hours of battery life each day (using them mainly in the office working)

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:
What's your battery life been for the Fiio and Samsung devices?

I was thinking about doing something similar, but would love to get a full 8-12 hours of battery life each day (using them mainly in the office working)

I'd say about 6-7 hours man. The HS3000 is first to conk out as it has a smaller battery. The Fiio is rated at 10 so it's pretty sweet. 

So yeah roughly 6 hours before a charge is required. Kinda small I know but i'm still working on a 2000mAh battery in the left cup to wire them both to..

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #25 of 37
I have more or less the same question. I want to use my Bose QC 15 noise-cancelling headphones to listen to music outdoor, coming from Youtube or Spotify via my MacAir computer. I can use bluetooth couple to my Bose Soundlink speaker wirelessly, but best would be to couple direct to the noise cancelling headphones. In my case, the bluetooth receiver doesn't need to be integrated into the headset itself (though of course that would be preferable), but could be linked via a short atandard connector wire.

It amazes me that Bose itslef does not make bluetooth enabled noise cancelling headphones: they would sell like crazy!

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #27 of 37
Sounds like the Sony Ericsson Hi-Fi Bluetooth Stereo Headset with FM Radio would help you out. You can switch up the headphones and use whatever cans you like. I have owned mine for about a year and love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Ericsson-Hi-Fi-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B003DQ1DCM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382654034&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+ericsson+bluetooth

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #28 of 37
You should try the Sony Ericsson MW600 Hi-Fi Bluetooth Stereo Headset. I dont know about the live sound headphones all those links go to. After a bunch of internet searching and review watching I bought my own and it works great. You can use whatever headphones you want but the headphones that are included sound pretty decent.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-1264-5582-MW600-Wireless-Headset/dp/B008NA985C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382654828&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+ericsson+mw600

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #29 of 37
cut the wire short, put a new 3.5mm jack on the end, very difficult, and then plug that in to this:
http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics%C2%AE-TT-BR01-Bluetooth-Headphones-Transmitter/dp/B006IJJH7O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383497726&sr=8-4&keywords=bluetooth+headphone+jack

you can pick a new 3.5mm jack up at radioshack and while there get some double sided adhesive to stick the receiver to the side of the headphones

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #30 of 37
Sorry to hijack the thread, but...my question is similar enough I figured this would be a place to start.

I'm looking for a bluetooth receiver (dongle) that I can plug a standard wired headphones AND MIC into, and use the mic that's part of the headphones.

To clarify, I'm looking for a bluetooth receiver that either does NOT have it's own built-in microphone, or allows the use of the one that you plug in.

Why, you ask?  I've found a well-reviewed throat-mic based headset, but it is not available in bluetooth...and although they've been saying for the last couple of years that they're coming out with a bluetooth version, I've begun wondering if they ever will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back