Convert wired headphones to bluetooth
Oct 7, 2011 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Sharpie357

New Head-Fier
Here is what I want to ultimately do: I want to turn my Bose in-ear headphones into wireless bluetooth headphones. 

I was thinking that I could attach the wires to a small bluetooth receiver and presto. I want something small and lightweight, so the Belkin thing is less than ideal. I want it to be able to hang around the back of my neck much like the Jaybird FJ3MB Freedom headphones. 

Any thoughts? What materials do you suggest?
I have a sufficient amount of technical know how, so soldering and stuff shouldn't be a problem.

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 37
Thanks but still not quite. The reason I want it to be Bluetooth is so I have less wire. If I just plug the headphones to a receiver that I put in my pocket or belt, all I accomplished was to decrease the sound quality. I want to incorporate the receiver into the headphones in order to shorten the cords, not attach a receiver to the end of the headphones, making the cords longer.

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 37
But you have to have some kind of amplification. A Bluetooth receiver will have to have not only the reception circuit, but some kind of amp to power the headphones as well as a suitable battery for power.

Personally, I'd just skip the whole Bluetooth aspect and plug them into something really light like an iPod Nano. Simpler and you'll get better sound than having to transmit a signal.

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 37
Just for clarification, here is exactly what I want to make, but with Bose headphones and pairable to any device:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/accessories/overview/hbh-is800?cc=gb&lc=en#view=overview

Uncle Erik, 
Can I get an amplifier/receiver combination that I can integrate into the headphones?

Another thought is that I could buy cheaper bluetooth headphones and remove the bluetooth aspect and transfer it to my Bose. What do you think?

Something else that is potentially problematic is the little plastic oval about an inch or two from the jack on the Bose (btw they are the IE1, not IE2). What is that? Does it enhance the sound quality? So would it be needed on the bluetooth headphones? 

I don't really want to use a small device or something, because I would still have the same amount of wiring.

Thank you!

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 37
Oct 9, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 37
Mark,
The reason I want to use Bose is because of the great sound quality and comfort. And because I have them. And here I thought this forum would be kind and helpful to newcomers instead of mocking their questions.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 37
I don't know. There would be a lot of fabrication and some of the small specialty parts have to be ordered in large quantities or extracted from other gear. You might be able to graft another brand's system onto yours, but that would be a bit of work and you'd have to buy another headset anyway.

Also, Bose doesn't have a very good reputation around here. If you haven't listened to much else, you might be surprised at how good other manufacturers are.

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 37

Quote:
Mark,
The reason I want to use Bose is because of the great sound quality and comfort. And because I have them. And here I thought this forum would be kind and helpful to newcomers instead of mocking their questions.

erm multiple people have responded and you have remained adamant that you wish to use only one particular companys products.  you even point out exactly what you want but oh no not made by bose so no good.

also i wasnt mocking your question.  you seem wedded to the brand even thought they dont make what you want so why not ask them?

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 37

Quote:
erm multiple people have responded and you have remained adamant that you wish to use only one particular companys products.  you even point out exactly what you want but oh no not made by bose so no good.

also i wasnt mocking your question.  you seem wedded to the brand even thought they dont make what you want so why not ask them?

I didn't think it mattered why I wanted to use Bose so badly, but I guess I will explain further.

There are only a few semi-decent bluetooth in-ear headphones on the market. Even fewer are compatible with all devices. Most of them have questionable sound quality and comfort and are styled in a manner most unpleasing to me. My Bose in-ears are, I KNOW, very comfortable and have great sound quality. So in other words, if I could make bluetooth headphones exactly how I wanted them, they would be exactly what I want, and that would be nice. And the headphones that are exactly what I want are only compatible with Sony products. 

Uncle Erik,

If I could graft another system into mine, it would be worth it if I only had to spend something like 20 bucks more instead of 75 ish in order to get something that is high quality enough for my standards. I haven't tried a lot of other manufacturers, but I have tried Apple's (of course); Skullcandy in ear and around ear; Sony in ear, around ear, and noise canceling around ear; and Bose in ear and around ear. From my experiences, I like the Bose best for it's quality and comfort. The around are were awesome, but the in ear are more practical $$. The Sony MDR XB20EX were pretty nice, but not very comfortable for me and I didn't like the sound quality quite as much as the Bose. Based on this, is there anything you recommend? 

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #13 of 37

Quote:
 And the headphones that are exactly what I want are only compatible with Sony products.   

erm its sonyerricsson and no they are compatable with anything with bluetooth.  thats the whole point of bluetooth.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 37
i was thinking of doing the same..... my thoughts were to take a cheap bluetooth open it up and take the speaker that it uses out, and connect the appropriate wires to the headphones, but im not sure if the headphones will require some kind of powersource?

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #15 of 37
Wie wäre dies ein , ich hoffe, das ist dir hilfreich .   
wink_face.gif

http://www.kopfhoerershop.net/Sony-Ericsson-VH110-Original-Bluetooth-Headset-schwarz_B003UIA9KK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back