Convert FLAC to apple lossless format?
Nov 30, 2006 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ca911

New Head-Fier
I have an album I just got in FLAC format and I want to bring it into my iTunes in an Apple Lossless format... I am having trouble bringing the FLAC files into iTunes let alone converting them into Apple Lossless... it there another program I need to do this?

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 9
if you are on a mac use "xACT"

On a pc hmm can't remember what the good program for that is.. "foobar" or something.. not 100% sure. GL!

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm on a Mac. I use Max (http://sbooth.org/Max/).

It will directly convert FLAC (and APE and others) to Apple Lossless, but when I added to iTunes and synched to iPod video (G5), just about every other song would skip (not play). I checked Max's forums and found another user had the same problem, but no one had any solutions.

So what I do now is use Max to convert FLAC to AIFF, drag AIFF to iTunes and use it to Convert To Apple Lossless. In theory, this shouldn't result in any degradation. Files play fine.

I will have to try xACT.

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on a Mac. I use Max (http://sbooth.org/Max/).

It will directly convert FLAC (and APE and others) to Apple Lossless, but when I added to iTunes and synched to iPod video (G5), just about every other song would skip (not play). I checked Max's forums and found another user had the same problem, but no one had any solutions.

So what I do now is use Max to convert FLAC to AIFF, drag AIFF to iTunes and use it to Convert To Apple Lossless. In theory, this shouldn't result in any degradation. Files play fine.

I will have to try xACT.

Thanks, I can't seem to understand xACT well enough to really use it.. just am trying Max now.. Do you set the aiff data format to "LINEAR PCM 32 BIT BIG ENDIAN SIGNED INTEGER" or do you set it to 16, 24, or 8?

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 9
Yeah, xACT looked like Greek to me as well. Maybe it's because it's really late and I have insomnia.
blink.gif

I use (learned from Max developer on his forum):
AIFF > Linear PCM, 16 bit big endian signed integer

If you cared to try a direct convert to Apple Lossless (say, if you were using Max to rip a new CD), select:
MPEG4 Audio > Apple Lossless

Lastly, I've been using Max to rip some CDs to MP3 instead of iTunes (which everyone seems to rag on). It uses LAME and whatnot. I select:
MP3 > Best quality

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, xACT looked like Greek to me as well. Maybe it's because it's really late and I have insomnia.
blink.gif

I use (learned from Max developer on his forum):
AIFF > Linear PCM, 16 bit big endian signed integer

If you cared to try a direct convert to Apple Lossless (say, if you were using Max to rip a new CD), select:
MPEG4 Audio > Apple Lossless

Lastly, I've been using Max to rip some CDs to MP3 instead of iTunes (which everyone seems to rag on). It uses LAME and whatnot. I select:
MP3 > Best quality

oh thats cool i didnt know it could do direct to apple lossless, i am right now trying to figure out how to convert within itunes the aiff's that i ripped to lossless... do you know how?

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 9
Preferences > Advanced > Importing Tab > Import using Apple Lossless Encoder

Highlight tracks to convert

Top menu bar > Advanced > Convert Selections to Apple Lossless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back