Convert entire FLAC collection to MP3 (320) in foobar
Oct 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

niemion

100+ Head-Fier
I've got hold of an iPod, so I need to convert my files (keeping the FLAC files ofc) from FLAC to MP3 (320kbs).

When I do it, foobar will put the files in one big folder, not maintaining original folder structure. I don't want to convert each folder separately, one click for whole library thanks
tongue_smile.gif

I want something like:

D:\mymusic\my band\my album\my song.flac

to

c:\mymp3\my band\my album\my song.mp3

Any advice on this?

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try a program called mediamonkey.
It has a free version, which can do just that.

I'll try that, thanks.

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 16
MediaMonkey works, somehow slower than foobar though.

I'm using this format: c:\MP3\ . \<Artist> \ <Album>\<Title>

Shouldn't there be a similar command for foobar?

Quality wise, foobar and mediamonkey both use lame right? Is there better alternatives than the two when it comes to best SQ mp3's?

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 16
Found out how to do it in foobar:

output folder, specify folder: C:\MP3

Then select "Generate multi-track files", then use this scheme:

[%album artist%]\%album%\%track%. %title%

Will output files like: C:\MP3\Artist\Album\01. First song.mp3
beerchug.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 16
How about using the exact same path as the source file? I noticed there is no function in foobar to get such a path + filename though. You will just have to remove the drive name and extention from the path to make it work.

I came up with this, which is messy but it works:
Code:

Code:
[left]$substr($replace(%_path%,%_filename_ext%,%_filename%),3,999)[/left]

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 16
I cleaned the code a bit. This time it searches for the last . to cut off the original file extension.
Code:

Code:
[left]$substr(%path%,4,$sub($strchr(%path%,'.'),1))[/left]

Feel free to clean it up more
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 16
Apple Lossless might be an option for that iPod, but I don't know if there's a foobar plugin for it. It would use more space, of course.

I would use LAMEdrop to convert to MP3 (it's just LAME and a frontend). After you set it up, you just drag and drop whatever files you want to convert into it.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 16
you should probably use the V0 lame quality setting, the files sizes tend to be much smaller than 320 and have no noticably quality difference. V0 is the most popular mp3 size now adays

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple Lossless might be an option for that iPod, but I don't know if there's a foobar plugin for it.

There is. I use ALAC to archive and for listening on my PC through Foobar.

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 16
iTunes does this. And as mentioned, the newest gen ipods play alac, and the older ones play wav. Though I doubt your gona notice much of a diff between lossless and 320 kbps with portable audio stuff.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTunes does this. And as mentioned, the newest gen ipods play alac, and the older ones play wav. Though I doubt your gona notice much of a diff between lossless and 320 kbps with portable audio stuff.

The iPods have supported ALAC since some 4-5 years back, so definitely not just the newest gen.
wink.gif

My 1G iPod nano from 2005 play ALAC without a hitch...

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobar works fine, if you can't figure it out it's your fault.

%artist%\%album%\%track% - %title%

See #5.

As for the recommendations for iTunes, thats out of question. If there is a music player equivalent of internet explorer it has to be iTunes and I dont digg it at all.

Thanks all

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlock19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should probably use the V0 lame quality setting, the files sizes tend to be much smaller than 320 and have no noticably quality difference. V0 is the most popular mp3 size now adays

Or actually transcode to a better lossy format with a better SQ/Compression ratio. The own itunes aac encoder is really good, but i personally prefered the neroacc encoder using foobar.

I did my own tests time ago and neroaac with the standard quality "-q 0.5" just produced transparent files for me almost all the time being 60~70% the size of the same track using mp3 320 CBR.

I've been using neroaac for years with my ipods and never had to search or do listening tests again between the allowed formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back