Convert Ape to Flac
Jun 25, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #16 of 22
If drop outs from external discs would really be a problem they would not be very useful to connect to a computer.

You coud not store program on them and people would probably also dislike that the text they just typed has changed without their doing.

Since drop-outs don't happen with any other file it's safe to assume that this is also true for audio files.
If there is a drop out the sector will be reread.

It is still a good idea to have a backup of your music archive since disc can go bad either in the filesystem structure of some hardware aspect.

Cheers

Thomas

Jun 25, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
I regularly do that for converting for my portable player.

In the past I used DBpoweramp and it worked just fine. I recently found out that I can simply on the fly transcoding with Jriver Media Center as well.

Tags are preserved in both cases.

Cheers

Thomas

The Allbum Art does not seem to be retained when I convert from APE to FLAC with JRiver Media Centre.
confused.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #18 of 22
That is not my experience but this could of course be an issue of how we use JRMC.

I keep my album art as separate files in a folder. The access to the album art si controlled by the image file tag. Yuo can just add that to the set of displayed tag fields.

When I do the FLAC conversion this field is converted just fine and the album art continues to display.

I am using the Flac encoder 1.5 from Scot Thompson.

I have played around with album art on my mobile player since it does not support that but I assume that will require additinal steps.

Cheers

Thomas

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
If you want to convert APE to FLAC, it is lossy.

no it isn't. APE is lossless. FLAC is lossless. there is no quality lost during conversion. foobar2000 will prove this if you use foo_bitcompare http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_bitcompare

(foo_input_monkey is also required to decode ape files: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_monkey)

one more thing, the software i mention is all free.

EDIT: i only just notice the thread you bumped is 4 years old. you're obviously only here to spam the product you're advertising.
rolleyes.gif

May 3, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #21 of 22
Wow! Two posts takes us from 2006 to 2018. This has to be one of the best necropost threads I've seen in my 20+ years of online forums. Two big "thumbs up". :slight_smile:

May 6, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #22 of 22
Sounds like everybody is using windows but I use ffmpeg command line on Linux for conversions. I recently had to convert a few hundred gig of .ape to .flac. I am so glad I didn't have to do it with a GUI tool one album at a time :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back