Convert album of songs grouped in single file .ape to ALAC?
Jun 10, 2011 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bowei006

Panda Man
Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
I have this album that's in .ape with a .cue file. thing is, I want to get it into itunes but the whole album of songs is in one file. basically one 550MB+ .ape file. I converted it into ALAC through dbpoweramp but now i have this over 1 hour song file and you get the gist. how can i get the sepearte songs out. do i need to mount it/make it into a cd first and then get it that way or what? and if i do, how can i do that?

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 13
Foobar can take the ape / cue and split it into separate tracks. Just load the cue file and it'll list the tracks as though it was a loaded cd.. then just save to format of choice

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 13
:frowning2: it didn't work. it loaded them and i could see the individual tracks but when i first load it it has an playback error box open up with unable to open item for playback, unsuported file format going down the list of my songs. i can see the tracks lined up and when i go to convert the song it says 1 out of 1 tracks converted with major problems, conversion failed : unsupported file format.. do i need a sepearte add on for .ape files ?

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 13
Thank you, i love stuff like this. the website looked suspicious so i whipeed malwarebytes at it and uploaded it to antivirus total to crosscheck it and then installed it to a non active partition, then it didn't work cuz i needed the .ape codec from the website which also looked suspicious so i crosschecked that too and then it worked :D geeky stuff like this takes a while and isn't all step 1-2-3 but just find out yourself which helped my boredom for a bit :D thanks. i think now that i have the .ape codec thingy from monkeysaudio foobar should work now 

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 13
Is it by any chance a non-English file? Most of the time the encoding on the CUE sheet is corrupt and you'll need to rename the source file to pure English.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 13
I often find converting the .ape file to a wav file first.. and changing .ape to .wav in the cue file fixes it

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 13
I use daemontools to mount the cue as a CD, then I just rip it to the format of my choice like an ordinary CD.

Also a common problem is that software fails to read the cue file unless it's UTF-8, to fix it I just open it in Notepad, and save it with UTF-8 encoding. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 13
A long but reliable way is to convert that APE into WAV Lossless, fire up Audacity, place labels at the separations, Export Multiple and convert to ALAC.
Working with Linux makes you figure things out.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I used Bigasoft Audio Converter to split APE to separate tracks as well as convert APE files to Apple Lossless ALAC. It was like a charm for me. The detailed guide for split and convert APE to ALAC can be accessed here:
http://softwaretree.net/article/how-to-convert-ape-to-apple-lossless-alac-on-mac-or-windows.html

"Welcome to head fi! Sorry about your wallet"

It was a complete coincidence I saw this post and that so close after you posted it. This was answered but thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back