Consumer Reports -- headphone test coming in August
Apr 2, 2002 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

JML

Headphoneus Supremus
The May issue of Consumer Reports has an "update" about MP3 players. But there's a tease at the end: "For higher-quality headphones than those supplied with most players, check out CR's headphone report coming in August."

That's sure to be "interesting."
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2002 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
For higher-quality headphones than those supplied with most players, check out CR's headphone report coming in August."

Somehow I don't believe their standards for "higher-quality headphones" will match the standards of Head-Fi forum members.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 46
If the consumer reports serves a similar function to the equivalent organization I have in mind at Hong Kong, they'd give out awards for

Most Fireproof Headphone
Headphone with Lowest Electrocution Risk
Safest Headphone for Your Portable Players
etc.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 2, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 46
haha, joe that sounds great
biggrin.gif

Best portable headphone for use on a construction site.
Best headphone for underwater use while operating welding equipment.
Headphone most likely to reduce risk of pregnancy etc.

Reminds me of choice magazine here in oz, what a load of bollocks.
They do "blind tests" with computer printers for example, showing the output from different printers, but not showing the original sample, and ask which is best - noone has a benchmark of what the original looks like so they just pick the one they feel/think looks best, regardless of how different it looks from the original photo. End result is the brightest/most overdone image usually gets the nod
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 46
I would suspect that Consumer Reports will focus more on build quality and how easy it is to drive the headphone. I expect them to not mention amplifiers.

I would think the Sony V6 would rate very high with them although they may consider the $100 retail to be prohibitively expensive.

Apr 2, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 46
If they even know that the V6 exists!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 2, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 46
I'm betting they only review phones that "look" like they should be driven by portables (i.e. lots of buds and clip-ons, nothing bulky, certainly not the K1000).

Awards will probably go to a pair of Sony earplugs (888's maybe), with Koss's and Senn's (one of the new 400 series models or MX's) somewhere close behind, with an award to the Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones under some "special" category.

I bet AT's, Beyer's, Grado's and Ety's are not mentioned, however, I would love to see their review.

Apr 2, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 46
the interesting thing about CR is that in their PCDP roundup a few months ago, they complained bitterly about the poor sound quality of the standard headphones that came with the test units. One of them got an average ranking for headphone quality (about a 3 out of 5) and the rest all got below average or poor ratings. Maybe the review will surprise us. Is there a closet audiophile in the house at Consumer Reports???

I doubt that we'll see the V6 or any Grados. We may also see a lot of older discontinued cans like the Senn 545 and 575. CR is famous for reviewing stuff that can no longer be bought---dorks!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2002 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 46
I think they will test an MDR-V600 and an MDR-V700DJ, but rate both of them low in the Ratings!
eek.gif
At least they may have some idea of what sounds good and what doesn't!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 46
CR: Also famous for dismissing useful data that they personally find.... incovenient.

Maybe they do have a headphone enthusiast on staff.... we'll see. But I wouldn't be surprised if they look more favorably at the headphones with the least "environmental" impact, that are made using union workers instead of by "sweatshop", have the lowest electromagnetic emissions, etc.

Ponder: why not have the Head-Fi folks do an objective (or at least, as objective as possible) review during the HeadRoom Road shows? Could have panels of "experts" and others that were able to attend the road show and evaluate a variety of headphones, amps, and other components in a blinded fashion.... the reviewer wouldn't necessarily know what product (headphone or amp or cable or whatever) he/she was listening to but would then provide a score of their impressions. Score sheets could be developed, standardized and validated prior to the event. Standard musical sources/tracks could be identified to assess various types of music and certain frequency ranges. There would have to be some exceptions (e.g., couldn't blind a review of Etymotics!).

The more I think about this, the more do-able and useful it seems. I'm imagining people listening in a booth (maybe even just a small cubicle-like setup), maybe literally with a blindfold, not being able to see the cans, the source or the cable, and providing an assessment without the luxury (and potential bias) of knowing exactly what equipment they were listening to. Could even change certain parameters during the listening sessions to see what impact changing the amp or source or cable had on the score.

Mmmm..... whaddya think?

Bruce

Apr 2, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 46
Around 1986 or 88, Consumer Reports did a headphone test and I'm pretty sure the top rated phone was the Sony MDR-V6. And a Sennheiser was in the top group.

Once in a while, they do recognize true quality for the money. If Consumer Reports and Car & Driver both rave about a car, it's worth test driving and perhaps buying. But with things that require specialized training or knowledge, they often fall far from the mark. Loudspeakers are harder to evaluate than are steam irons or toasters.

Apr 2, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 46
Bruce: It would be interesting, for sure. The results would definetely help settle.........well, they wouldn't. I think one thing anyone will notice after a coupla months here is how subjective this business is. The headphone that most accurately reproduces sound might not be the can I want, and the headphone that makes the music seem REAL....well...that might sound fake to me.

Do you see what I'm saying?

Very interesting idea, tho.....I'd participate if it were setup.....

Apr 2, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #14 of 46
I don't know, JML. Except for things that envolve safety (I'll give them that), when it comes to anything electronic, I tend to use them as an "if they even bothered looking at it, it's not worth my time" guide. But, then again, that may be because they tend to only test the more heavily advertised products within a catagory.

What is it about them that brings out the cynicism in me? I guess its that I really have doubts about how 'independent' they are.

YMMV

Apr 2, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
Around 1986 or 88, Consumer Reports did a headphone test and I'm pretty sure the top rated phone was the Sony MDR-V6. And a Sennheiser was in the top group.

Once in a while, they do recognize true quality for the money. If Consumer Reports and Car & Driver both rave about a car, it's worth test driving and perhaps buying. But with things that require specialized training or knowledge, they often fall far from the mark. Loudspeakers are harder to evaluate than are steam irons or toasters.

First, JML, that report was published in the September 1989 issue of that magazine.

Second, the runner-up (overall) to the MDR-V6 was the AKG K240DF. And both of those 'phones are still available new today (the MDR-V6, in its "professional" guise the MDR-7506; the K240DF - and the middling K240M - now having a 1/8" plug with a screw-on 1/4" adapter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back