Considering Westone UM2... need SQ advice
Mar 3, 2008 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
I would like to get more comfortable IEM's for long plane flights. I like the sound of the sf5pro's (see sig), but they are not very comfortable.

By all accounts, the Westone UM2's score very high in comfort. But how do they sound compared to the sf5pro's? I mostly listen to rock and alternative. I like a balanced sound with adequate, clean bass. I don't want weak bass for sure. My primary dislike is sibilance or sizzling highs.

Will I be happy with a UM2 upgrade from a sound quality perspective?

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 23
UM2's are excellent and often put in the same league as the Triple.fi's and the SE530s. They are pretty bass heavy but have a very warm lush full musical sound to them. Detail level is still very nice though. Definitely a SQ upgrade from the SF5's. Makes me wonder what the UM3's will be like when those come out....

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 23
I also upgraded from the 5 Pro to the UM2 and can echo those comments. The UM2 are warmer, but more detailed. If you like your bass and plan on using them in noisy environments like planes, they'll definitely perform better than the 5 Pro. And of course, the comfort and ergonomics are unbeatable. I've heard some people call them sibilant, but I don't here it at all. Make sure you pick up some Shure soft flex sleeves for them though. The sound is much more balanced with those than with the Comply tips.

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also upgraded from the 5 Pro to the UM2 and can echo those comments. The UM2 are warmer, but more detailed. If you like your bass and plan on using them in noisy environments like planes, they'll definitely perform better than the 5 Pro. And of course, the comfort and ergonomics are unbeatable. I've heard some people call them sibilant, but I don't here it at all. Make sure you pick up some Shure soft flex sleeves for them though. The sound is much more balanced with those than with the Comply tips.

I also changed from the UE's to the UM2's. After doing so, I sold SF5's! Much better IMHO

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 23
This is exactly the feedback that I needed, thanks a lot! I can always count on Head-Fi to push me over the edge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Make sure you pick up some Shure soft flex sleeves for them though.

Do you mean the olives or some other Shure tips? Do these fit well or do they need to be forced or modded?

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy 'em
wink.gif
youll be glad you did.

Actually, I read some of your comments in other threads, and that helped get me to the edge in the first place. You have both and like the sf5's, so I put a lot of stock in your opinion.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean the olives or some other Shure tips? Do these fit well or do they need to be forced or modded?

Oh, I meant the gray silicone ones. The olives are good too if you prefer the foamier-type sleeves. Both of the Shure sleeves sound better than the Comply tips, in my opinion. They fit perfectly without modification.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 23
U can wait Westone 3, i think Westone 3 will releas soon....Maybe lol

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly the feedback that I needed, thanks a lot! I can always count on Head-Fi to push me over the edge.
smily_headphones1.gif

on my pair UM-2 (2 years old, there's no flange on the barrel to hold the tips securely, like there is on Ety's or Shure SE530). So yellow foamies slide right off, the olive tips hold a little better). It's easy to stick a little bit of scotch tape on there to get them really tight.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Oh, I meant the gray silicone ones. The olives are good too if you prefer the foamier-type sleeves. Both of the Shure sleeves sound better than the Comply tips, in my opinion. They fit perfectly without modification.

I'll give these sleeves a try, thanks!

I ordered the UM2's today. Thanks for all the encouragement.
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 23
Sound is affected pretty significantly by the tips. Experimenting is the best way to go. For example, the clear tips from the Shure fit kits make the bass hit hard, but sibilance is pretty bad. Foam, on the other hand, smooths out the highs pretty nicely.

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 23
woah they're that good huh!!!

maybe I should get a hold of them soon.. either way I'm not gonna be able to afford the UM3 anyway. How much are the 2s selling retail now?
I've heard good things about the livewires at 249... not too bad..

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 23
UM2 are $299 at most retailers. I couldn't find an authorized dealer selling for less. I bought mine from Earphone Solutions because they have excellent service and they support Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back