Considering W4R.....other recommendations welcome
Oct 28, 2013 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dizzle77

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering buying a pair of W4R.

My current setup is iphone 4, E17, Future Atrio IEMs with M100 on the way.

I listen to all sorts of music, but a lot of Electronic, drum n bass, hip hop, rock and funk. I'm probably what is known as a basshead, but I dont like it overpowering the mids and I do enjoy a certain clarity to my music

I am thinking of upgrading my Atrio IEMs and have up to about £300 to spend.

After doing some reading, I'm considering W4R as they appear to have rich, controlled bass. How do these compare to the Atrio?

Would my E17 have sufficient power to run them?

Any other IEM recommendations?

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 8
Intrested in this as well as looking at getting the same.

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 8
the W4R delivers more of a reference sound. while i find the bass to be tight and well controlled, its nowhere near a basshead iem. i would say the bass goes along the lines of quality vs quantity.

the w4r is a amazing iem, one of the best universals IMO. but again it has a reference sound, a audiophile sound. in my opinion.

i too listen to the same kind of genre's you listen to with the W4r, but i have invest quite a bit in dacs/amps/interconnects and cables. so my take on the w4r is going to be someone off becuase the sound my w4r put out with my equipment isnt anything near what you hear out of a box in a ipod.

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 8
Well after further reading last night, I decided to take the plunge and order a pair from earphone solutions. Comes to £230 all in, but there is also the possibility that i'll be stung by customs.

Looking forward to getting these. Although the bass wont be as boomy as the Atrio, i'm expecting it to be tight and well controlled. It will also serve as a nice alternative to my soon to arrive M100 when on the move

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Considering the likes of iheadphones, amazon and advancedmp3players all STILL quote £389 (or a bit less) even if you do get stung by customs you should still come out ahead?

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 8
I recently purchased them as well from earphone solutions for $299usd and really enjoy them. Music sounds great very balanced overall. They would sound awesome for the type of music u mentioned, or any music genre IMHO. Just don't make the same mistake as me and expect to be floored., they take a little time to get used to sound wise. I get really good results straight from my htc one with wav files. Hopefully one day I can get an amp and custom cables but for now I can only dream lol... cheers!

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Yep seems I missed out on the $299 deal as they're now $350. A member on another forum got stung for £17 by customs, which I'll gladly pay if/when the time arises

Good that they sound decent un-amped too for those days I cant be bothered with the E17.

Do the W4R require burn in?

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 8
Yep seems I missed out on the $299 deal as they're now $350. A member on another forum got stung for £17 by customs, which I'll gladly pay if/when the time arises

Good that they sound decent un-amped too for those days I cant be bothered with the E17.

Do the W4R require burn in?

balanced armatures dont require a burn in. not like dynamic drivers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back