Considering upgrading from Audio-Tecknica ATH-AD700 to AKG K550
Nov 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheGiantHogweed

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I know that these two headphones are quite a different design and the AD700s are open back and the K550s fully closed.

I think one of the main reasons that I would like the K550s sometime is because I think their isolation should be a lot better than my others. I don't mind so much hearing sounds from around me but I find it hard listening to music on my AD700s without people around me hearing what I am listening to. I can't complain about that though because they are open back and that is what makes them sound so detailed. The other improvement about the K550s is that there should be a big increase in the amount of bass in comparison with the AD700s. At the moment, because the bass is quite lacking, I am using a Fiio D03K and also, the Fiio E11 which I boost the bass on. Even now though, they still don't sound very powerful. I have been very impressed with the detail from my AD700s and I really like the bright sounding treble. From what I have read, the K550s have an incredible amount of detail and an open and airy soundstage considering they are a closed-back design.

I live in the UK and one of my local stores have them at £129 and they also say that they should be able to beat other online places that sell them.
I should be able to go and hear what these headphones sound like at this store.

If anybody has both of these headphones or even one or the other, could you give me a bit more information about the K550 or comparing them both.

Thanks.

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 8
I own both the ATH-AD700 and the K550s.
I never use the AD700s anymore, but do use the K550s fairly often.
So, yea, buy the K550s and sell off the AD700s.

What sources are you plugging the D03K and E11 into?

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't plan on selling my AD700s because I am very pleased with their soundstage and lots of other things.

About the source, I have my D03K Plugged into my computers sound card with an optical cable.
I use a QED 3.5mm cable from my Fiio DAC to the E11. I also use my E11 with an MP3 player on the move sometimes and my AD700s are not portable in any way! So I have to use my very cheap Sennheiser HD201 and even the E11 makes a little improvement to them.

The place where I listen to most of my music is on spotify premium on my PC.

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 8
  I don't plan on selling my AD700s because I am very pleased with their sound stage and lots of other things.

About the source, I have my D03K Plugged into my computers sound card with an optical cable.
I use a QED 3.5mm cable from my Fiio DAC to the E11. I also use my E11 with an MP3 player on the move sometimes and my AD700s are not portable in any way! So I have to use my very cheap Sennheiser HD201 and even the E11 makes a little improvement to them.

The place where I listen to most of my music is on spotify premium on my PC.

If your a gamer, you might consider getting a Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used is fine), the DX/D1's CS4398 DAC chip should be a fair bit better the the D03K's DAC chip.
You could plug the FiiO E11 into the DX/D1.
Or if your just into music, get the Hifimediy Sabre U2, USB DAC, $55 + shipping.
You could plug the E11 straight in the Sabre U2.

I'm guessing once you start using the K550s, you're AD700s will start collecting dust.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 8
I don't really play on any games where the sound really matters. I do like to be able to hear music coming from all directions which is what the AD700s do a good job of. I do agree that if I got the K550s, I proberly would only use them every now and then if the K550s did not sound quite as open.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi,

I am now thinking of going out to a local store sometime soon to hear what the K550s sound like compared to my AD700s. They cost £129 and I have not seen them cheaper anywhere else in the UK. As I said earlier, I am hoping the main improvements to be to block sound leakage and to have an improvement in bass.

What sort of time would you suggest to give new headphones to burn in?

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 8
  Hi,

I am now thinking of going out to a local store sometime soon to hear what the K550s sound like compared to my AD700s. They cost £129 and I have not seen them cheaper anywhere else in the UK. As I said earlier, I am hoping the main improvements to be to block sound leakage and to have an improvement in bass.

What sort of time would you suggest to give new headphones to burn in?

Dozen of hours to know for sure that any "break in" was completed.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 8
Hi,

Well, I have now bought the K550s and I am extremely pleased with them. I really wasn't expecting the soundstage on them to sound quite as open and spacious as is does. I would still say that my AD700s have that little more top end sparkle that these don't have. That is my opinion anyway. The bass has a huge amount more weight than my AD700s have (although I would still not say it has a huge amount of bass) and that is the one of the two main things I am pleased about. The other thing it how well they block the outside noise and don't leek sound anything like my AD700s do.
I find that they fit my head fine and that was one of the main things I was worried about when I saw the amount of people that had problems. I went to listen to them and the ear cushions fit fine for me. I also really like the fact that they fold flat. It makes them a lot more portable.
The one small problem that I think I will get used to it the amount of padding on the headband. It is very thin and my head did begin to hurt a little if I wear them for over 30 minutes or so. It looks like other people have mentioned this and that you should get used to it after a while. It must be because I am use to the AD700s very comfortable 3D wing support things!
Even now I have bought the K550s, I do expect to keep using the AD700s because I still think they sound great and are very comfortable.
I will need to put the K550s somewhere overnight playing music the next few nights to let them break in more. I am not sure if doing this just improves the bass or the other frequencies too.

Thanks for your help and suggestions but I think I will stick with my Fiio DAC and E11 for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back