Considering upgrade from 598cs to HD6XX
Jan 16, 2018 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

doommachine_

New Head-Fier
I am considering moving up to the Massdrop HD6xx or HD600 or 650 from the 590cs's I have now. I will be diving them through a Schiit Fulla 2 and may get a Magni 3 if I need more power than the fulla can muster.

I am wondering what difference I should be able to hear if I invest the 200-300 in the better headphones and possible amp. I am enjoying my 598cs's a great deal but would like some increased detail.

I am mostly interested in the difference in sound of the headphones and not comparing the Fulla 2 to the Magni 3

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 6
First lets set the reference. The following is my opinion and in no way meant as a knock against you or your preferences. I believe what YOU like is most important. Not what someone else likes. With that out of the way let's roll.

As far as what's relevant to your question, I have a Fulla 2, HD600's, and HD598cs'.
I bought my 598cs' used for $35 so I kept them. That being said I really, really don't like how they sound. To me they are congested, muffled, the mids are recessed, and the bass is mid-bass boomish, but there's no sub-bass slam. I'm saying this so you understand how our opinions differ so you'll know what to make of the rest based on how you think your current cans sound.

The Fulla 2 will power the HD6XX or HD600 fine so you're good there. To me the Fulla 2 is clean and mostly neutral with a hint of brightness but a little thin sounding or cold. The DAC in it is better than the amp but that's nothing to fuss over or sweat. It's a perfectly good DAC/amp. None are "perfect".

Given what you're coming from with the HD598cs' I would steer you to the HD600's. Yes, you will hear a quantifiable difference. I can't say what you will like more but comparing the 598cs & 600, which of course is comparing a closed headphone to a open back headphone, the things you will notice are as follows.

Much more air in the sound, better sub-bass extension, better bass texture, richer vocals, less dark (veil/muffled/subdued) sound, better mids, better highs, less congestion, better instrument separation, MUCH better strings, drums, cymbals and decay, much better detail and many more nuances. I could go on but it is in it's entirety an upgrade vs what you have. Much more of a reference grade sound and more premium build and comfort.

Here's what you might not like. The sound will be more open, you will hear more of your surrounding and need a quieter listening environment to fully enjoy them at times, the heavy mid bass will be gone, they won't be as warm sounding or as dark (though they do have noticeable warmth even though they are very neutral). They won't have the same kind of bass. The bass to me is way better on the HD600's. But, you don't get it if it's not there. The trade off is you get more of it (this needs an example) like, let's say you were listening to a bass drum, the 598cs may give you more bass as an instant "boom", but the HD600 gives you that same boom, but less loud, with more texture, and then you hear that "boom" decay. Hope that kinda makes sense to you. It gives you "more" bass by giving sound to lots of low frequency bass or bass decay or texture you don't normally hear on lesser headphones.

Here's the thing. It's about what you like though, I do recommend them wholeheartedly the HD600 (I don't have the 6XX, I bought the 600's because they are staples in the industry). They offer what you are looking for as far as an upgrade. The HD6XX is a little darker sounding but it does have more bass (boom) at the expense of being less neutral in it's sound. Either would be great and a huge step up for you sound wise. I hope this was helpful.

Lastly, you may want to consider the HD598sr. I know they're still 598's but they are open back and have different drivers. They have more treble than what you currently have, and are more neutral than what you currently have too. No, they aren't as good as the HD600, but since you like what you have, and these keep some of those qualities while offering a good amount of what you're looking for for $139, it may be worth considering as well.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for taking the time to explain the differences. it rally helps deciding where to go. I had interest in the 6xx because of price and I hear the 650's have a wider sound stage than the 600 and also that the 598cs is considered to have a wide sound stage as well. I can pick up used 600 or new 6xx right around 200 dollars.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for taking the time to explain the differences. it rally helps deciding where to go. I had interest in the 6xx because of price and I hear the 650's have a wider sound stage than the 600 and also that the 598cs is considered to have a wide sound stage as well. I can pick up used 600 or new 6xx right around 200 dollars.

You're welcome. I was hoping i didn't come off as an a-hole. I just always find impressions most helpful when I know how someone feels about something I own so I know how to "filter" their opinion. If cost savings is a thing I'd get the HD6XX. I don't doubt they're good. I don't think there's a point in owning both the 600 series though so I decided to do the 600's even though they're a little more because I wanted them to be my "neutral" set. Don't get me wrong. They are not detail monsters though as far as being analytical. FWIW my favorite pair EVER for first listen and being blown away by the sound is the T50RPmk3.

If I sold everything today I'd still keep them because they're neutral with super solid bass that doesn't bleed, goes deep, is fast AND it has slam. Plus they thrust details in your face. Honestly, if you hadn't mentioned the HD series and just said, "I want detail, lots of detail, I want to be impressed and I like bass too but I want good bass, but still a good amount of it. I want to bob my head and loose my crap while listening to rock/rap/edm/dub/jazz/pop" I would say T50rp mk3 every day of the week. That's the first thing I ever bought in this hobby that instantly knocked my socks off.

*edit*, but they will hurt your ears after about an hour ha ha. The HD series is easier to listen to for longer while still offering lots of detail. The main difference is presentation. The T50 make every thing sound "fun" and make bad stuff sound really bad. The 600's tell it like it is and bad stuff sounds worse but never OMG worse.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 6
I notice the t50rp mk5's are only 160 on Amazon. I am a Sennheiser fanboy though since I have 3 of their products PC350 CX 5.0 and the 598 cs. and the t50rp mk3 are notoriously hard to drive from what I have heard from my limited knowlage

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 6
I notice the t50rp mk5's are only 160 on Amazon. I am a Sennheiser fanboy though since I have 3 of their products PC350 CX 5.0 and the 598 cs
Yeah, they're always 159 too. I've seen them drop by maybe 10 or 15 but only once. Honestly, since you have an amp, unless you have a ton of Amazon returns, I'd try them, just make sure it's "fulfilled by Amazon" and not "Sold by them" and you'll likely dodge tax and be able to get a hassle free return if you don't like them. Says you're in Cali though so if your seller from there too you'll still get taxed.

Purely going on the sound you like, and what you want to improve, this is a rare instance where I own both and can honestly say, the T50's are like the 598cs' but on ear, without the added warmth, better bass in every way even "boom(slam)", clearer, with better imaging and separation and they have gobs of micro details. It will give you that HiFi feeling. And if you decide to and I'm wrong, feel free to publicly shame me here. Just be warned, they will have WAY more treble than you've ever heard out of the 598cs. My bet is still that you will like them a lot and find what you're looking for.

They wont be as easy to drive out of a low power portable though but that's what your 598cs' will be for.

Best of luck and if you fell like it let me know how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back