Considering UM3X
Aug 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #47 of 64
I dont really know what's the real "neutral". But i do know what's fatiguing sounds. lol. Like the westone 3s or the shure 940, the highs are really high, after prolonged used I personally will have difficulty tolerating the piercing highs. Well, this is just me, may not be so for others. However, when i listen to the um3x, there isnt any "shhhhhhh" or high cymbals sound, it's really non fatiguing and that maybe why i start to feel its more "natural" and "neutral" because i dont hear screeching highs when i hear someone sing or when a band plays? This is just my opinion. haha, everyone's build differently. The Um3x may be coloured or non coloured, i think it's up to the individual to decide. It's like buying clothers, some may like a certain design, some may not but at the end of the day as long as your happy with it just get it, who cares about what others think right? lol. 

And yea the Um3x has quite a small soundstage, but the instrumental separation or how the um3x portrays each instruments is really good. its like erm democracy in the earphone, everyone has equal power and rights. hahahaha. but this just my own opinion again. 

That's called non-fatiguing or smooth, not neutral or flat. Certain IEMs are colored no matter the individual, I think these fall into that. That still doesn't change the fact that they're going to be enjoyable for some and that's where the subjectivism comes in. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #48 of 64

Quote:
I dont really know what's the real "neutral". But i do know what's fatiguing sounds. lol. Like the westone 3s or the shure 940, the highs are really high, after prolonged used I personally will have difficulty tolerating the piercing highs. Well, this is just me, may not be so for others. However, when i listen to the um3x, there isnt any "shhhhhhh" or high cymbals sound, it's really non fatiguing and that maybe why i start to feel its more "natural" and "neutral" because i dont hear screeching highs when i hear someone sing or when a band plays? This is just my opinion. haha, everyone's build differently. The Um3x may be coloured or non coloured, i think it's up to the individual to decide. It's like buying clothers, some may like a certain design, some may not but at the end of the day as long as your happy with it just get it, who cares about what others think right? lol. 

And yea the Um3x has quite a small soundstage, but the instrumental separation or how the um3x portrays each instruments is really good. its like erm democracy in the earphone, everyone has equal power and rights. hahahaha. but this just my own opinion again. 

I agree, good post.  As far as fatiguing highs I think it is totally related to how loud you listen.  UM3X soundstage or headstage is much larger that Ety.  It is a headstage where your head is as big as a beachball

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #49 of 64

Quote:
And oh @ meya meya, i own my um3x for 15 mths already and i think im quite headphone addicted, meaning i love to try other headphones. haha. but i've always sticked to the um3x, its just totally my type. just like choosing a girlfriend. hahahaha, the um3x is like erm  a sporty babe, not so big on top, not so big below, everything's just right, she's dark and tanned, she's cool and she's just like the girl next door type. hahaha ok i'm getting carried away. 

Also with a great warranty in case she has a breakdown...

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #50 of 64
@superman lol at the sporty babe analogy! i do get what you're trying to say though =p as for the tips, it seems like those olives are highly recommended. It's gonna be hard to get those tips in my hands though so when I get my um3x early(hopefully) next week, I hope that the silicon tips do the trick. I've always felt those tips are comfortable. if not, i'm gonna do what i can to get my hands on some olives. 

@spyro about the non fatigue sound of these.. you mentioned something about the listening volume. Honestly I like listening to lower volumes if possible. It'll make my ears last longer and like you said, less stress on the ears. However, I have reached the part in the appreciation thread where they mentioned that UM3X don't sound good at lower volume levels. T_T is this true? 

@chris yes I have read over at the appreciation thread how great their CS is. The only problem would be the shipping cost to and from =p but I think if these are as good as people praise it to be, it'll be worth it.. or better yet, she won't breakdown at all :D

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #51 of 64

Quote:

So Does this mean There are no Republicans in the earphone?

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #52 of 64

Quote:

@spyro about the non fatigue sound of these.. you mentioned something about the listening volume. Honestly I like listening to lower volumes if possible. It'll make my ears last longer and like you said, less stress on the ears. However, I have reached the part in the appreciation thread where they mentioned that UM3X don't sound good at lower volume levels. T_T is this true? 

I am probably the wrong guy to ask as I like to listen to my music fairly loud.  Thankfully my hearing is still fine after decades of this because I rarely listen beyond 45 minute listening sessions but the volume really engages me into the music.

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #53 of 64

[size=medium]
I had to exchange my UM3X RC's, I opened the box for the first time last night, and the plastic tray that holds them stripped some of the insulation off the wire!, down to bare wire in one spot, AND the pins on the cord for the right driver were bent, A $40 CORD!!!  I will not tolerate that from an IEM I JUST paid $400 for!
For a company that prides itself for being made in the USA they should polish their QC a little bit, my $20 MEelec M6's from China were flawless, and I've NEVER had any problems like this with cans I've bought. It is hard for a "can" guy like myself to move into IEM's and then start to shell out considerable amounts of cash on a pair to have this happen, NOT COOL!

[/size]

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #54 of 64
@BattleBrat

You make me worry >.< It would mean that since you just got yours last night that my pair are probably from the same batch :-s I've mentioned before in this thread but I'll say it again. Since I'm from the philippines, sending those back would be a huge problem for me T_T Well I just hope when I get my hands on my order that I'll be one of the lucky ones. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #55 of 64
Hi guys! I got mine yesterday afternoon! Gonna post my early impressions(not yet a day old) here..

As a background: I listen to mostly bands such as anberlin, paramore, versaemerge, head automatica, franco, urbandub, incubus, etc....
I listen to some RnB/Pop music such as usher, chris brown, marques houston, etc...
I also listen to some kpop like big bang, snsd, 2ne1, hwayobi, etc...
I recently got into Hans Zimmer stuff. It started with batman and inception, then I got his Last Samurai pieces and I really love those.

Out of the box:
seriously? what.a.waste. I thought I just threw 400 USD just like that.

Changed tips(medium grey sleeves suit me the best - i get the best seal with these though they are just slightly bigger than I'd like).
the sound was warming up to me and I was seeing what most of the people have mentioned about the UM3X.

Build
I hope I'm just being deceived by their looks and feel because I can't shake the feeling that these are quite delicate and fragile. The cables seem great though. At first I was hesitant but with all the praises on the quality of westone's cable - and these being replaceable, I've become more at ease in handling them. I still take care of them, I just don't baby them. 

Comfort
They are quite comfortable. These are my first IEMs that are really meant to be worn over the ear. My only problem are the tips though as they are slightly bigger than I'd like. Will have to find a way to get my hands on some olives but for now, the grey sleeves will have to do.

Bass
I was taken aback by the bass. The bass was waaaaay too much for me. I guess this is the proof that I am not a basshead(nothing against them, just means that I'm not bass hungry). After a few more mins of listening though, I came to the conclusion that the bass is MORE than natural but not so much that I hate them. it's like just a little bit more bass and it would be too much. they sort of hit the sweet spot really.

Mids
A lot of people have claimed them to be forward, for some, even TOO forward. On normal full band tracks, I would say they are forward but not too much that it's irritating. On acoustic tracks, I really appreciate the vocals being forward because it sort of makes the performance more intimate and personal.

Highs
I find my ATH-M50s to be fatiguing in the highs. these are not. I also think that they do the highs just right.

Soundstage
Honestly? I'm not great with distinguishing soundstage. For me, in IEMs, they are all small and the same. Take into consideration though that I have not tried a lot of IEMs. My experience with IEMs range from cheapos to RE0s and for a while, MPTC(borrowed). they all stay in the head. Listening with M50s is a different case though. Only then can i put the instruments in front of me instead of just in my head. 

Detail/Separation
They really do have incredible separation. I have to agree with the praises they have been receiving in this category. Even in busy tracks,.I can hear the subtle sounds. and I have heard clearly some sounds I haven't noticed where there before.

CONCLUSION: I DO NOT REGRET SPENDING ALL THAT MONEY ON THESE. THEY'RE WORTH IT.

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #56 of 64
Yay congrats and welcome to the um3x community! and dude the um3x do seem a little fragile, but ive abused them for 15mths, it aint buckling under pressure. this guys are one tough nut to crack! And oh which tips did you use? To me the stock tips are SHIAT, you should totally try the shure olives, just squeeze them a little and pop them in your ears. If not better, get custom sleeves, but i highly recommend the shure olives imho. hehe enjoy!!!

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #57 of 64
@superman

I'm using one of the stock sleeves. The medium sized grey sleeves. I'm quite satisfied for now but I am planning on getting some olives if I can get my hands on them. I need some recommendations size wise though.. perhaps you have a pair and could compare? For me the grey sleeves I mentioned are just slightly larger than I'd like them to be. They're comfortable enough but every time I take them out, I realize how stressful those tips are on my ears. that said, considering that the olives should be softer as well, what size would you recommend for my ears? :)

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #58 of 64
if you're using the medium grey sleeves, Medium olives will be just fine. Im using them for myself and olives are just the best with um3x. Looks good, durable (up to 3 months of usage) and definitely brings the best sound out of the um3x. As for universal tips, black olives are your best bet if not then either get a remould or um56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back