Considering UM3X
Jul 29, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #31 of 64
Soundstage is basically being able to hear where each instrument/music source is coming from. A large soundstage would be similar to listening to a live performance in a big theater.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #32 of 64
Yes, the soundstage on the UM3X is small.  You'll need to head down the W4 or IE8/IE7 path for bigger soundstage.  However, the UM3X intended purpose is for stage monitoring/performance and is tuned as such. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #33 of 64
  Soundstage is more complicated than that. Width and height are pretty straightforward, taller height occurs more often with smaller stage IEMs and it's the least varied. When someone refers to a large soundstage it's usually because of it's width, while depth or how the IEM portrays distance can be quite tricky to notice at first. Imaging (how an iem places instruments/also called "separation" at times) is a different aspect that is very important as well, as there are many IEMs (usually dynamics) that while having a very big overall stage in terms of width they don't separate each instrument that well (I think this is in part speed related) and this is the UM3Xs strength fwir. UM3X won't give you the width, so it's going to appear small, but it has good depth and one of the best imaging. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #34 of 64
oooh.. i think i got it.. to sort of simplify it, would it be correct to say that soundstage is more related to width and height while instrument separation is depth? I usually have to close my eyes to concentrate to sort of get what you guys mean by the soundstage.. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #35 of 64
Soundstage size is related to width and height.

instrument separation and depth are different. Separation is how well the IEM manages to separate each instrument while depth (and dynamic range) is how well an IEM portrays distance, how far or close/quiet or loud each instrument is. So you can break it down to

Soundstage Size (related to width&height)
Imaging/Separation
Depth/Dynamic Range

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #37 of 64
One of the best IEMs imo if u hate artificial flavourings. I've been using one for 15mths already. You might want to try getting the cmoy bb from jds lab, i have one and it works really well with the um3x. adds better clarity and just a tiny abit more warmth! :)

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #38 of 64
ooooohh.. these are very helpful responses and may help me articulate what it is i hear or understand what others hear.. thanks very much for this :) well I'm really glad that the UM3X are said to have great separation because I like listening to the bass guitar as it seems to be one of the hardest instrument to concentrate on when listening to band(rock/alt) music and all these instruments are playing together. :D

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #39 of 64
the um3x doesn't really have separation, it's in fact the slight opposite. Everything's like clumped together but you can listen to every instrument etc because it's really rather flat and neutral, all the instruments and singer have like erm equal "power" . lol. 

PS: once you gotten the um3x, almost every other earphones will have too much warmth or you'll find them too bright etc etc. I really dont think there is another equally neutral headphone than this, maybe a few other models but not many.

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #40 of 64
hmmm.. from my understanding(Just from what I've read as they haven't arrived yet), they have separation - that's why you can pick the instruments one by one. On the other hand, the "clumped together" sound you mentioned is the due to the small soundstage. 

Regardless, my comment is from someone who doesn't own it yet. 

So... are you happy with the UM3X? :) 

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #41 of 64
the um3x doesn't really have separation, it's in fact the slight opposite. Everything's like clumped together but you can listen to every instrument etc because it's really rather flat and neutral, all the instruments and singer have like erm equal "power" . lol. 

PS: once you gotten the um3x, almost every other earphones will have too much warmth or you'll find them too bright etc etc. I really dont think there is another equally neutral headphone than this, maybe a few other models but not many.

This is why I don't like using separation and use the term imaging instead but it has been used in this context anyways. The UM3X has a small soundstage that clumps everything together but it has amazing imaging not because of it's frequency range (which is far from flat) but because of it's speed and the way it resolves the frequency output. Don't get how these can be called neutral, they're colored for monitor use and that's actually one it's weaknesses for some.  

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #42 of 64
The UM3X is actually tuned to the lower register for less fatigue listening.  It could actually use a slightly brighter treble IMHO.  I don't hear anything clumped together.  I hear great separation which is just how Westone designed them.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #43 of 64
It's clumped together because it has a relatively small stage but the placement of each instrument is well defined, very holographic like. It has    one of the best imaging which gives it that pinpointing accuracy. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #44 of 64
I dont really know what's the real "neutral". But i do know what's fatiguing sounds. lol. Like the westone 3s or the shure 940, the highs are really high, after prolonged used I personally will have difficulty tolerating the piercing highs. Well, this is just me, may not be so for others. However, when i listen to the um3x, there isnt any "shhhhhhh" or high cymbals sound, it's really non fatiguing and that maybe why i start to feel its more "natural" and "neutral" because i dont hear screeching highs when i hear someone sing or when a band plays? This is just my opinion. haha, everyone's build differently. The Um3x may be coloured or non coloured, i think it's up to the individual to decide. It's like buying clothers, some may like a certain design, some may not but at the end of the day as long as your happy with it just get it, who cares about what others think right? lol. 

And yea the Um3x has quite a small soundstage, but the instrumental separation or how the um3x portrays each instruments is really good. its like erm democracy in the earphone, everyone has equal power and rights. hahahaha. but this just my own opinion again. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #45 of 64
And oh @ meya meya, i own my um3x for 15 mths already and i think im quite headphone addicted, meaning i love to try other headphones. haha. but i've always sticked to the um3x, its just totally my type. just like choosing a girlfriend. hahahaha, the um3x is like erm  a sporty babe, not so big on top, not so big below, everything's just right, she's dark and tanned, she's cool and she's just like the girl next door type. hahaha ok i'm getting carried away. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back