Considering taking the Grado/Alessandro plunge....
Jun 15, 2007 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

OakIris

1000+ Head-Fier
A fellow-head-fier let me borrow his Alessandro MS1 headphones and I liked them quite a bit. They were not stock, however, having been modified by Larry of Headphile - recabled and woodied.

Still, though I certainly don't need any more headphones (a thread or two in the For Sale forum is definitely in my future!) I have always wanted to try out some Grados or Alessandros. Given a budget of $300, I am considering either the Alessandro MS2i or the Grado 325i. Would this be a good start down the "Grado" path? Or will I be disappointed because they aren't headphiled and the sound I heard from the modified MS1s won't be duplicated/improved by the stock phones?

Opinions from those who have already gone down the path will be much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 24
X2

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 24
That was a quick response! Thanks Killercrush and Big Poppa.

I should have added in my original post that though I have always been curious about Grados, I haven't yet taken the plunge because so many folks have written about the Grado highs being almost painfully bright, and that the headphones themselves can be very uncomfortable as well because of the headband clamping and the earcups resting on the ears. I guess that is why I am leaning towards the Alessandros, which are supposed to be more comfortable to wear and not as painful to hear! (Of course, others dismiss Alessandros as not really having the Grado-sound, so why bother with them?!?)

Oh, and I listen to a lot of jazz, blues, world music, classical and classic rock, if that makes a difference when recommending one of the two headphones I mentioned in the OP.

Holly

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 24
alessandros are just as comfortable as a grado...i mean...they use the same materials except for the drivers

as for not being as bright, you're right
my sr60 are kinda fatiguing, even at low levels while my ms2i can be listened to at ease

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 24
Hey, I started with SR-80s and I think they do a good job of capturing the essence of the "house sound" very well. The MS-1s, independently, sound great also. Regardless of whatever discussions are going on regarding their particular differences, I think either of these two phones are great introductions into Grado sound.

Maybe you don't even need to max out that budget to get a good introduction. The only Grado cans I didn't really like are the 325is. In all fairness it could have been source + amp + phones, but there was this quality about how they seemed to constrict the sound that I didn't like.

It sounds like our musical interests (minus most of classic rock) are in line, and I find the Grados to be accurate, sufficiently detailed, not overly bright (!), and engaging (upfront).

I cannot recommend them enough. If you're into small ensemble jazz or anything even remotely funky in jazz or blues, Grado's sound is really something. I happen to prefer being "up on stage" with the classical music too, so they aren't half bad there either, though many lament most Grados lack of soundstage.

Of course, I'm listening to my new RS-1s right now (Miles Davis, Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel) ....

Where's F107plus5 to recommend the MS-2i's when ya need him?

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 24
Well, I can't afford the RS-1s, or the MS-Pros, so I am going for the "cheaper" models.

So far, the MS2i sound like the ones I want - unfortunately, this will be another case of not being able to hear before buying.
frown.gif

Holly

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 24
The SR-225 is often touted as the best bang for the buck in the Grado/Alessandro line-up, and having owned one, I must say that it certainly deserves that reputation.

Not too bright, not too dark. Not too harsh or shrill, not too muddy. The Goldilocks Grado.
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-225 is often touted as the best bang for the buck in the Grado/Alessandro line-up, and having owned one, I must say that it certainly deserves that reputation.

Not too bright, not too dark. Not too harsh or shrill, not too muddy. The Goldilocks Grado.
wink.gif

Yep, can't go wrong with the 225's. Compared to the 60's you get more bass impact and a smoother sound overall.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have added in my original post that though I have always been curious about Grados, I haven't yet taken the plunge because so many folks have written about the Grado highs being almost painfully bright

buncha sennheiser-veil blinded fools, if you ask me. and i've got the 325i, supposedly the worst offenders. to my ears, the details are sparkly and the fun they elict makes me all
icon10.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Design /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buncha sennheiser-veil blinded fools, if you ask me. and i've got the 325i, supposedly the worst offenders. to my ears, the details are sparkly and the fun they elict makes me all
icon10.gif

I believe it's the SR-325 (without the i!) that is notorious for its brightness.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it's the SR-325 (without the i!) that is notorious for its brightness.

not from what i've read. folks seem pretty hasty to point out that the 325i is the brightest of the bunch. it seems to be the reason why so many point to the ms2i as a better substitute. i've heard the ms1, not the ms2i, but i didn't notice any big difference in the highs between it and my sr60s.

also, just something to keep in mind, you can get the 325i at ttvj (with the new customer discount) for $255, whereas the alessandro will run you the full $300

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #15 of 24
The general feeling from what I've read is that the MS2i is a meaningful step up from the MS1, so if you liked the MS1, then I recon you can't go wrong with the MS2i. A lightly used pair would run about $200 on the FS forums...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back