Considering Studio Monitors? Read this first.
Aug 3, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So a tiny interior like a headphone is good enough for "high end" sound, and a large interior like a room is good enough, but something in between - like a car - isn't? Please enlighten me with your logic.

If someone put a couple hundred tiny holes in your windows and doors or padded your windshield with dynamat, it'd likely pose a problem. Headphones are a lot freer in the design decisions they can make for the sake of sound quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Road Noise: No matter what make, or how expensive the model, you always have to consider road noise. The C5 exhibits 93 dB at 65mph (87 dB at idle), with the top up and the windows up. There are ways to combat road noise, and we will definitely have to address it...

My first strategy for combating road noise is to avoid convertibles
tongue.gif

I should actually get some road noise measurements from my car. I seriously doubt it's putting out 87dB at idle though, even from the outside. LS1 vs. 1MZ-FE though...

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by I<3SQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. For example, I listed to a set of KRK Rokit5's and those things sounded beautiful but were $300 by themselves, a bit over budget for me. But my goodness, the bass response and overall clarity and cleanness of the sound was music to my ears (pun intended).

But the M-Audio BX5a monitors didn't impress me at all, I mean, they sounded good but it was nothing to write home about.

I can see why you're not much of a fan of studio monitors, the KRK's are about the most colored and non studio/reference worthy "studio monitors" I've listened to. The BX5a certainly won't give you that same level of punch, but are a lot more honest sounding. There are plenty of studio monitors that can pack big bass punch, yet remain relatively neutral, however they are way beyond your budget (think $1k+/pair).

The BX8/SBX system mentioned earlier is a great one for the money, and can deliver some seriously low and powerful bass, without muddying or coloring the sound much, and sound very nice in a computer/near-field system.

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are plenty of studio monitors that can pack big bass punch, yet remain relatively neutral, however they are way beyond your budget (think $1k+/pair).

Yeah, my budget severely limited my options. But maybe some day I'll upgrade again and will be able to spend some decent money on a set of monitors that sound good for me and the music I listen to.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

The BX8/SBX system mentioned earlier is a great one for the money, and can deliver some seriously low and powerful bass, without muddying or coloring the sound much, and sound very nice in a computer/near-field system.

the bx8/sbx 2.1 system has worked great for me and the best part is that i picked it up with all the cables and firewire box used for under $500...in addition since the sub has a sort of audio management system built into it, it acts as a brain for the satellites so i dont have to fuss with the firewire software on my computer all day long to balance out the subs with the sats....it equally sounds good for gaming and my newly ripped wavs...it even competes with >$1g 2.1 computer kits I've heard...there are also extra outputs on the sub and satellites so i can "daisy chain" extra sats and subs

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

I can see why you're not much of a fan of studio monitors, the KRK's are about the most colored and non studio/reference worthy "studio monitors" I've listened to. The BX5a certainly won't give you that same level of punch, but are a lot more honest sounding. There are plenty of studio monitors that can pack big bass punch, yet remain relatively neutral, however they are way beyond your budget (think $1k+/pair).

Maybe that explains why I liked the KRK's so damn much, if they were in my price range I'd have snatched them up with the quickness. I definitely don't want the studio reference, flat response sound for my music playback.

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #37 of 42
If accurate sound isnt your thing, and you prefer the sound of traditional car audio, you could get these:

Pyramids-large.jpg

Triple P Designs Pyramids | Sweetwater.com
750-Pyramids_light.jpg

Quote:

Make Sure Your Mix Is Right!
Triple P Designs' "Pyramid" studio monitors help prepare any studio for the outside world. While your mix may sound great on your monitors in your studio, it must also sound great outside your studio walls. Whether your mix ends up on a tiny television, car stereo, boombox, or any other non hi-fidelity system, the outside world has billions of systems that don't sound as great as yours.

Your mix needs to translate well. As a mixer you need to have the confidence that your mixes will translate well in the real world. The Pyramid monitors allow mixers to hear the effects of non hi-fidelity playback systems while they are mixing, and while they still have the opportunity to compensate. Any great mixer will tell you a great mix needs to sound great on any number of speakers.

$300

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your mix needs to translate well. As a mixer you need to have the confidence that your mixes will translate well in the real world. The Pyramid monitors allow mixers to hear the effects of non hi-fidelity playback systems while they are mixing

$300

Interesting advertising for $300 studio monitors.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Studio monitors tend to lack deep bass below about 30hz

Good bass response below 30Hz is rare in any kind of system. It requires very expensive speakers and a LOT of power. Thankfully, if your system can get close to 30Hz with a reasonably flat response, your sound will be fantastic. Most everything below there is just vibrations on your flesh anyway. It doesn't come across as "notes".

The most important range for music listening is between 40Hz and 10kHz. If you can get that balanced well, you're doing good. Any extension beyond that is just gravy.

The Pyramid monitors allow mixers to hear the effects of non hi-fidelity playback systems

That wins the prize for the stupidest advertising concept ever!

See ya
Steve

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

If accurate sound isnt your thing you could get these:

Pyramids-large.jpg

$300

Well, since the KRK Rokit5's are $150ea, and were out of my price range..............

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

If accurate sound isnt your thing, and you prefer the sound of traditional car audio, you could get these:

Pyramids-large.jpg

Triple P Designs Pyramids | Sweetwater.com
750-Pyramids_light.jpg

$300

perhaps they were targeted at the egyptian audiophile market???

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good bass response below 30Hz is rare in any kind of system. It requires very expensive speakers and a LOT of power. Thankfully, if your system can get close to 30Hz with a reasonably flat response, your sound will be fantastic. Most everything below there is just vibrations on your flesh anyway. It doesn't come across as "notes".

The most important range for music listening is between 40Hz and 10kHz. If you can get that balanced well, you're doing good. Any extension beyond that is just gravy.

I agree that's the most important range, but I need solid bass down to 25Hz (and deeper, if I can get it), because that's where a lot of the music is for what I listen to. We can hear bass down to 20hz. The "vibration only" effect doesn't start til about 20hz and below. You can definitely hear 30Hz as a "note". Most speaker systems do go down to 30Hz, it's just that near-field studio monitors need to be a certain size to be compact, and without a subwoofer, they just can't go that deep and remain flat at the same time. Larger home theatre systems, stereo systems and even computer speakers (with subwoofer) don't have that limitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back