Considering R-50, SE215, BA100... currently have Westone 1, any advice?
Oct 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

breakfast

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of Westone 1's (since 2011) that have been sent in for repair and in the meanwhile am looking to buy a second pair of IEMs. I really dig the Westones but am looking to try something else as well.

I was most interested in the R-50s but hear that they are lacking in bass and can be sibilant. With the SE215, they are considered bass heavy. The BA100 are regarded as a great value pick right now. Does anyone have any advice for me with regards to these? My budget is under ~$150.

Edit: I listen to mostly various punk with the odd bit of electro if that helps at all.

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 4
I have the 215 and a BA in the form of the a161p. The 215 is too bassy for me and the a161p has great bass but not enough of it. My solution was a C&C BH amp. Headphone Out 1 with LF switch on gives me the extra bass I like with the a161p, and the 215 on Headphone Out 2 makes the 215s sound a little leaner and better in the mids. Then ofcourse after spending all that money I got the JVC FX40 for $20 and it is just perfect for me with no amp at all! I am older with some hearing loss so the bright trebble sounds fine to me and I enjoy the sound signature. The 215 is a close second, but if you have small ears the housing is large. I am selling the a161ps as they are not comfortable in my ears. Hope that helps.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 4
  I currently have a pair of Westone 1's (since 2011) that have been sent in for repair and in the meanwhile am looking to buy a second pair of IEMs. I really dig the Westones but am looking to try something else as well.

I was most interested in the R-50s but hear that they are lacking in bass and can be sibilant. With the SE215, they are considered bass heavy. The BA100 are regarded as a great value pick right now. Does anyone have any advice for me with regards to these? My budget is under ~$150.

Edit: I listen to mostly various punk with the odd bit of electro if that helps at all.

I should mention I'm leaning towards the TDK BA200 now after reading some comparisons sayings it's warmer and less sibilant than the R-50.

Definitely and definitely.

By "something else" - what would you be meaning by that specifically. Actually - to put it in a better - what would you be sure that you would not want out of an IEM, no matter what? I guess we can narrow down from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back