Considering new DURABLE headphones.
Mar 17, 2014 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

theCanadian

Head-Fier
I have a pair of JVC RX700's I've owned for 4 years that I sleep in every night. Aside from some pad wear, they're in like new condition. This is the kind of durability I'm looking for. Wondering if I should step up to the RX900, just replace the RX700 pads, or go with another option. The Sennheiser HD201's look like they'd be durable. What else is out there and what do you think I should get? I'd like a closed back design.

Thinking the 201's are less bulky and therefore easier to sleep in, but the 700's have a better Hz response. What does Head-Fi think?

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 12
It certainly doesn't. I've moved on from audio to motorsports. Needing something cheap. I'll get some Beyers when I'm an old fart with money.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Digitech Pro Monitor headphones sold by Jaycar are durable. Imo durable than beyers. Beyers use hard plastic that can crack over time. Of course there is metal but it doesn't help if the plastic parts break. Digitechs have firm build with flexible plastic. Fischer Audio fa-003 and Brainwavz hm5 are the same headphones with a different name. There is plenty of information available. Not sure about us prices but I think it is something like 70$s delivered. Maybe even less..

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 12
i have a pair of gk-audio ultraphones that i've been sleeping in most every night for about 12 years.
which says alot considering how many other headphones i've had break on me, if not completely crumble to pieces.
they have sony 7506 drivers, so they sound fine.
despite that they fit really tight, they are incredibly comfortable.
me, i hate it when wearing headphones and tilt my head forward to look down and the headphones slide the eff off the front of my head.
with these, i can't sling my head hard enough to make them budge, much less fall off.
unless you're a sleepwalker, you will wake up with them still on.
the headband has two stainless steel springs (really just curved wires) that i think could probably be stretched open if too tight for comfort.
not cheap though ($220), but a good investment.

you didn't mention what roll you partake in motorsports.
if you mechanic, you'll be interested in knowing that you can take a pair of peltor optime 105's (avg. $25, sony 7506's (avg. $100), some silicone glue, and a soldering iron and make any repair possible.
actually, you could build your own from scratch, except i'm not sure how you'd get the audio wire through the head pad.
a lot of the parts for the 105's and the 7506's are actually availble individually.
i have a pair of each i purchased for spare parts which remain entirely in tact since i have yet to need to use a single piece for repair.

if you partake in motorsports as a spectator, hey, they look just like most of what the people with pit passes are wearing.
and you're not going to find better hearing protection, either.

i get about 6 months out of the earpads and i've always replaced them myself.
when i first purchased the ultraphones, i was able to find earpads for about $6 a pair, but last time i checked they're about twice that.
i've purchased them from envirosafety, optics planet, and other places too.
gk-audio will recomend that you send them in for them to replace the ear pads.
but seriously, all you have to do is be really careful the first time you replace them, as they use silicone glue to increase the noise reduction capability.
http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 12
i had a pair of crossfade lp's that seemed pretty tough before they got stolen.
and i have a pair of the m-100's which btw do sound better.
had mixed feeling about the m-100's being foldable.
haven't had any problem with them, but i have been careful with them and haven't really used them that much yet.
i do like them, though, but i liked them better after i popped on the xlarge earpads.
it's not really my thing but v-moda has all kinds of kits to customize the appearance.
on the other hand, they offer a good selection of cabling connectivety options which is pretty cool.
except for they no longer offer a the 3 button cable.
i had two, one went with my crossfade lp that was stolen.
if i'd known, i'd bought more spare cables.
all in all, i can't think of any headphone company that has a better vision of portable headphones should be, than v-moda.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 12
Guy asked for cheap cans.. If U guys already talk about mid range headphones, DT770 and other, then for most of durable cans I have ever seen is HD25.
I have them, and uhh. These cans are indestructible! Maybe only hammer and anvil will kill them..

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #11 of 12
I'm just thinking about this. If you intend to sleep in with them, why not IEMs?

There are many budget alternatives around the price of <$20 (Philips SHE3590 comes to mind). I think they might be easier to sleep in with compared to headphones.

However, if OP only wants headphones, then I'll hold my tongue since I have no headphones that I can think of that has a profile low enough to sleep in with

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 12
http://www.sleepphones.com/
not something i'd ever consider purchasing, but may be a suitable solution for some individuals.
says they're available in wired and bluetooth.
looks like it's just a washable headband with speaker pads that tuck into the headband (not an IEM).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back