Considering HD650's... will my amp be enough?
May 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

K_19

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

I've recently found a decent deal for the HD650 locally and I was wondering on whether I should pick them up. I've always wanted to try it and I have a good opportunity to right now... but I do have my concerns with my particular amp.

My amp is the Head-Direct EF1, the lower voltage version. I am not sure if these would be strong enough to power the 650's. Thing here is that if I am not going to maximize or get close to maximizing the HD650's, then I don't want to bother purchasing it, since I'm very happy with the K701 sound, but even if it is something like a 8 or 8.5/10 then I'd be alright with it. EF1 was at the absolute spending limit for me for amps, and I do not plan on buying another amp at all (if I do purchase something, it'd be on a DAC).

My set up so far is Eee PC 1000HE (lossless files) -> Bithead DAC -> EF1 -> headphones (usually K701). Should I bother with HD650 in this setup? I do have the RCA and Sylvania tubes with the EF1 which should help the so called Senn veil of the 650's (especially RCA's with sharp highs), and I also have a Mullard 12AU7 on the way as well.

So your input on this would be great. Thanks in advance.

May 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 21
You know, I just picked up a pair of HD650's and don't have money to upgrade my lowly OBH-11. In my opinion these aren't nearly as picky with amps as people tend to make them out to be. I think people seemingly need justification for spending thousands on their setup so they put down lower gear when in fact it's probably around 99% as good sound-quality wise (but oh that 1%, right? Audiophiles are amazingly good at nitpicking lol). I am a firm believer in that headphones make far more of a difference than an amp.
I even tried them hooked up straight to my iPod and to my surprise, the bad sound demons didn't swarm up from the abyss and take me down skullcandy lane, instead I was treated with a slightly thinner but enjoyable sound. HD650s will sound like HD650s no matter what is driving them... just some amps tend to bring out the overall sound a bit more than others, but "night and day"? well, I'll leave that one up to you.
biggrin.gif

P.S. people will most likely want to discount my post saying that the reason why the iPod didn't sound that bad is because the creek is crap... well I heard them out of a friends Gilmore Lite and they did sound better, but not light-years ahead of it. HD650s keep their overall sound signature (much like HD600's) regardless of what is driving them. They're the most enjoyable headphones I've ever had I really love them.

May 16, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 21
I share the same sentiment as Germancub's regarding amping headphones. Given you already have EF-1, I would not worry too much about amping. Be ready to hear quite a bit of difference between HD650 and K701 though. If you like the AKG, you may not enjoy the senn.

May 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 21
I think your good to go. And yes I agree, they are not as hard to amp as the 701. I dont see one good reason why your RF-1 would not sound great with the 650. Especially since you can tube roll. Look for a Siemens 5812A tube for your amp, it will synergize very will with your dark sounding 650's. A cheaper alternative and easier to find would be a Siemens E82CC, just a tad less refines than the 5814A but sounds almost identical.

May 16, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 21
Why ask Head-fi if your amp will be enough? Will Head-fi be listening to the headphones, or will you? Try it yourself; your opinion is the only one that matters.

May 16, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why ask Head-fi if your amp will be enough? Will Head-fi be listening to the headphones, or will you? Try it yourself; your opinion is the only one that matters.

Obviously if he had a HD650's and a selection of amps to trial.. he would easily be able to form his own opinion, but that is not the situation.

May 16, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stop trying to be smart and philosophical everywhere you post.

On topic, if you're satisfied with how the K701 is powered by your setup, then you'll probably be fine with the HD 650. Have you considered trying the HD 600 beforehand though? The incredible warmth of the HD 650 compared to the K701 may stun you something awful.
wink.gif

May 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 21
Thanks all. I'm going to be heading out to the store where I found the deal tomorrow (1/3 off the retail price, and while that may still be high, it's a good deal for getting a new one first hand and saving hassles) and hopefully they will have some left. The K701 will obviously stay with me (especially since I've scarred the headband
tongue.gif
) since I do listen to lot of classical/Jazz and pop which sound great with these but I do find a need for a good rock/rap can and HD650 sounds good for that aspect. Plus they apparently sound like the SE530 which I enjoy, so that's always good. Hopefully the EF1 is ready to take them on.

May 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 21
can wait to hear from you about 650 and EF 1..
promise me that you'll write review about them..
i'm a lil bit on your situation..my 650 is coming in two days..still looking for nice amp to drive ..

May 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 21
May I ask where in Toronto are they having this sale?

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks all. I'm going to be heading out to the store where I found the deal tomorrow (1/3 off the retail price, and while that may still be high, it's a good deal for getting a new one first hand and saving hassles) and hopefully they will have some left. The K701 will obviously stay with me (especially since I've scarred the headband
tongue.gif
) since I do listen to lot of classical/Jazz and pop which sound great with these but I do find a need for a good rock/rap can and HD650 sounds good for that aspect. Plus they apparently sound like the SE530 which I enjoy, so that's always good. Hopefully the EF1 is ready to take them on.

May 17, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by akander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I ask where in Toronto are they having this sale?

Beamecho is the store that is having the sale; they have most of the headphones at 33% off, and some at 50%. And I'm sorry to say in advance that I've just picked up their last set of HD650's for $430.
tongue.gif
That comes to probably around $399 US which is a decent for a new set I'd say. They have a K701 and HD580 left if you are interested. They also have the igrados for $37 CDN right now which IMO, is a steal.

Well, I've just hooked them up to my EF-1 and... they're mud fresh out of the box, but you all know that. Looks like I'll have substantial burning in to do. And I'll need to use that pillow technique to get rid of the vice grip. But man, they are sexy if I do say so myself. From now it'll probably be the K701 and HD650 on rotation for my home listening. I think its safe to say I'm finally done with headphones!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sengman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can wait to hear from you about 650 and EF 1..
promise me that you'll write review about them..
i'm a lil bit on your situation..my 650 is coming in two days..still looking for nice amp to drive ..

Will do, but I'm gonna have to do a lot of burning in first as I've mentioned. I can already tell that the RCA cleartop would be a better tube than the sylvania I have in there right now, so that I can bring out the highs. Will look at the Siemen tubes that Olblueyez suggested as well.

May 17, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #15 of 21
You should be alright, I asked them how long the sale is on for and they said that it's in effect until they clear out substantial amount of stock. So the sale should most definitely be still on if you choose to go back Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back