Considering Custom Built Speaker Stands, feedback? [pics]
Jun 16, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mr. B

100+ Head-Fier
I just purchased the Audioengine A5 speakers and they are a bit big for my desk.

IMG_4198.jpg

I designed some speaker stands which would solve the problem assuming they don't fall over when the speakers are placed on top.

DSC01231.JPG

...which would have the speakers ultimately placed basically like so...

DSC01230.JPG

I would appreciate any feedback on the stand design, I may be crazy. If anyone has an alternative solution I would happily entertain that too. Maybe I should just lay the speakers on their side and tilt them upward...

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 9
The thought crossed my mind but my monitors are 15 inches from the wall which would make it quite a stretch. I'm also not keen on the idea of making 4 big holes in my wall.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 9
Nice looking design for the stands but I would be worried they would tip of the desk if you bumped it. Your desk seems to have metal side panels with patterned holes, could you bolt a stand through those running up the side of the desk?

Love the monitor setup BTW
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 9
To me, it seems you have the diagonal part running the wrong way. The speaker shown sitting on the CD stacks should have the diagonal connecting piece running from the left innermost corner, to the left innermost edge of the foot. That way, the pressure from the weight of the speaker would be pushing the outside edge of the foot down on the edge of the desk. (Innermost is used with respect to the desk in the above.)

If that doesn't make sense, I can try to clarify, perhaps draw a rough picture.

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 9
You could try Blu-Tack. I have very shallow on-wall speakers on 40" stands as my surrounds and the only thing holding them on is Blu-Tack. It works pretty well, and it decouples the speakers fairly well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back