Considering buying the ATH W100s, but...
Mar 2, 2003 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

OakIris

1000+ Head-Fier
You guys have me hooked on this headphone thing! D*** it!

I just bought my first set of headphones last week (Senn HD590s) and now I'm considering buying another pair. I find the idea of the wooden enclosures on the W100s hard to resist, but realize that "looks" shouldn't be the most important criteria.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've read glowing reviews of the W100s, and other reviews where people consider them too bright. I am not an audiophile, but do like my music. I like the sound from the Senn HD590s (with nothing to compare them to) before they're anywhere near burned in. (Obviously, I don't have a sophisticated ear.
redface.gif
) Given this, will I like the W100s??

(I will be using them with my computer; the source is an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card. I will be getting a headphone amp, the Meta42 (built by JMT) later this month (hopefully, depending upon JMT's work schedule.) I listen to lots of CDs - blues, jazz, classical, rock & roll, reggae, world music.)

Mar 2, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris
I've read glowing reviews of the W100s, and other reviews where people consider them too bright. I am not an audiophile, but do like my music. I like the sound from the Senn HD590s (with nothing to compare them to) before they're anywhere near burned in. (Obviously, I don't have a sophisticated ear.
redface.gif
) Given this, will I like the W100s??

I don't have the HD590s, so I can't give you a direct comparison, but I can tell you that I like my W100s very, very much.

They can be a bit harsh. On my Denon DCM-370 CD player into a Headroom Little amp with the crossfeed off, they were pretty damn harsh. I couldn't listen to Tool, for instance.

On my setup now (Audiophile 24/96 soundcard -> ART DI/O DAC -> Pete Millett hybrid tube amp), they're anything but harsh. They're amazing, actually. They represent all frequencies well - the highs are high, but never painful. Bass is excellent - deep and accurate, but never boomy.

I'm not a typical audiophile, either, so I guess take my recommendations with several grains of salt. I will soon have a pair of HD580s with Cardas cables that I'm anxious to compare to the W100s.

That said, try to find a pair used - if you're serious about them, you should be able to find them anywhere from $200-$250.

Edit: I thought I should add that given the difference between the Little and the Millett tube hybrid, I think the W100s match very well with tube amplifiers. I will soon have a Gilmore V2 built by antness to test it out with a high-powered solid state amp, though, so we'll see.

- Chris

Mar 2, 2003 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 22
Thanks, minya/Chris

I think I'm going to get the W100 headphones. I read some more glowing accounts of the headphones on headwize. Trying, not too hard, obviously, to resist, but they just look awesome and apparently sound very good, too, especially after the burn in period.

Quote:

I think the W100s match very well with tube amplifiers.

The amp I am getting is solid state. I don't have a tube amp - maybe later?? I'm hoping the Meta42 will be O.K. with them. Hope your Gilmore is good, too.

Never knew I'd be spending so much $$ on my new obsession. My partner is not going to be happy.
frown.gif
I'm weak, I tell you, weak.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 22
I have the W100's as well. I haven't found them bright or harsh in the least. Pretty much a perfect balance for me. I have been using them with a D25S, Panasonic RV31 + Cmoy amp as well as a Meta42. They sound great from all these combos but have come to think that they are very revealing of weaknesses in the chain. From my experience at least they are forgiving enough to show you the weakness but still be listenable. I have been meaning to write a few observations but have been waiting on a new amp and time has been limited. I do think you will be very pleased if you get them.

Mar 3, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 22
Hope so - I just ordered them from Audio Cubes.
biggrin.gif

Wow, someone should have warned me to stay away from Head-Fi - I don't need more ways to spend money!
evil_smiley.gif

This is really great fun. A glorious new way to experience music.

Mar 3, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 22
what? no one gave you the standard warning/greeting?

Sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

congrats on the w100's -- now you will be curious of the w1000's... don't forget that after you get your meta42, you'll need a better source at some point and you'll need to start filling your CD collection up
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 22
You probably need to give them good partnering equipment to do them justice. Not just the amplifier itself....even the source plays an important role.

I did have the W100s before and it has a wonderful midrange.

I did a test out of the W100s at one of the second hand dealers using Orelle CD100 as the transport, Sonic Frontiers SFD 2 as the DAC, the amp is the one I bought home which is the Luxman L45A integrated amp. It really sounded great at the second hand dealer. Wonderful highs never sounding harsh, great soundstage, plenty of presense.....liquid midrange....great bass....wow......I bought the amp.

I was really disappointed when I reached home.....with humble source, NAD521 and a Theta cobalt converter.......it sounded....well I missed the setup at the second hand dealer.....

Its not going to be cheap.....but if you have the dole.....it will give you great pleasure
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 22
I know the source is very important. What I have right now, however, is my computer and the M-Audio Revolution. It will have to do!

Since I haven't heard the headphones with any other source, I figure I won't be disappointed. (It's called the ostrich syndrome - what you don't know/can't see/can't hear can't hurt you.
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 3, 2003 at 11:54 AM Post #11 of 22
If you want to buy w100,it's time!You can buy it form Japan
for 25000 yen,very cheap!But w100 discontinued,I suggest you to buy w1000,you will like it more than HD590s
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

w100 discontinued,I suggest you to buy w1000

Well, too late, I already bought the W100 headphones! I didn't realize they had discontinued the W100s; AudioCubes is still selling them.

Mar 3, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 22
Mar 3, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 22
$60 more for a much improved headphone.....hmmmm. Well, I emailed AudioCubes to see if it was too late to change my order. I guess I can only hope. And now, stop making me spend money!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads up about the W1000, elnero and lulumi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back