Considering buying a $150-200 headset, need suggestions.
Oct 3, 2014 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Critical50

Head-Fier
Ive heard of AKG, Audio-Technicha, Sennheiser,Bose, but never had any experience with them.

Ive never owned a pair of open back headphones, but the natural sound people say they give off sounds pretty cool.

How do they differ from closed headphones? Except for being able to hear your environment around you of course.

Music I listen to is mainly grunge, metalcore, death metal, alternative, and if I could use it for gaming too that'd be a bonus.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Ive heard of AKG, Audio-Technica, Sennheiser,Bose, but never had any experience with them.
I've never owned a pair of open back headphones, but the natural sound people say they give off sounds pretty cool.
How do they differ from closed headphones? Except for being able to hear your environment around you of course.
Music I listen to is mainly grunge, metalcore, death metal, alternative, and if I could use it for gaming too that'd be a bonus.

Usually for gaming (surround sound) open headphones are preferred.
For open headphones with a lots of bass, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, you might need to get a headphone amplifier to drive them.

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 8
I advise you get an antlion modmike and a good pair of headphones. My budget for headphones has always been in the range above yours (200-300), but I recommend you atleast research the Philips Fidelio X1 despite the price. Unfortunately, you cannot use the modmike with them, but they are pretty comfortable, good looking, are semi (idk if fully or not) open, and also have a neutral sound but with a little boost in the low end. Mad Lust Envy's guide to gaming headphones (Google it) should have more info about them and other choices in your price range.

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 8
I advise you get an antlion modmike and a good pair of headphones. My budget for headphones has always been in the range above yours (200-300), but I recommend you atleast research the Philips Fidelio X1 despite the price. Unfortunately, you cannot use the modmike with them, but they are pretty comfortable, good looking, are semi (idk if fully or not) open, and also have a neutral sound but with a little boost in the low end. Mad Lust Envy's guide to gaming headphones (Google it) should have more info about them and other choices in your price range.

A mod mic interests me, but Im curious about how it works. I want to use the headphones for regular music listening, when I go out somewhere. I saw the video and how it works, the little clip sticks to the headphones and when you want to take the mic off you remove it from the clip. But will I be able to easily remove it and also put it back on?

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 8
If you want to use them also in daily life, then you need to make a judgment call regarding open vs closed. Are the environments too noisy to listen as well as you want to (its also worth pointing out that the audio bleeds much more than normal with open headphones)? I'm at college, so I wear my closed ath-m50x in public. Btw those are good too, but they clamp down a bit on your head, so not for what you're going for.

But as for the modmic: there is the mic itself as well as the mount. The mount attaches with a sticky adhesive thingy, and the mic attaches to that with a magnet. So yea its easy to remove, but not the mount which is intended to stay on all the time.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 8
If any of you guys do a lot of gaming on PC, Im curious, if you use an open back headset while gaming doesnt the sound of your PC kinda overpower the game sound? My PC is fairly loud while playing any game like BF4. My Dad was concerned it was going to explode, lol. But everytime I take off my closed back headphones while gaming, Im always a little surprised to hear the whirring.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 8
If any of you guys do a lot of gaming on PC, I'm curious, if you use an open back headset while gaming doesn't the sound of your PC kinda overpower the game sound? My PC is fairly loud while playing any game like BF4. My Dad was concerned it was going to explode, lol. But every time I take off my closed back headphones while gaming, I'm always a little surprised to hear the whirring.

Why not just use closed headphones for gaming?
Maybe the AKG K550 or Audio Technica ATH-A900X?

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 8
@PurpleAngel

I have a closed back headphone by razer, they're pretty nice, but Im not so sure if I can use them to be certain on whether or not I can use them to determine if I prefer closed over open. Headphones were only $120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back