Considering braces... what do I need to know?
Feb 20, 2007 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

reivaj

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay I've been considering getting braces now for a good few months. I am current uninsured. I heard that braces aren't covered by insurance. Also I know its going to be a long process so I am preparing myself mentally for that. What other information can you guys provide for me?

I am considering it because I have a crossbite and a tooth thats moving further out of place as time passes.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 33
how old are you?

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 33
You would be a bit more cautious on what you eat now. you don't want clumps of food stuck in the wires.

from my experience, you'd be going to a dentist every month for routine colour elastic changes. depending on how bad it is, two elastic bands would hook on 4 hooks on braces (hard to explain, it was 6 yrs ago)

unsure on pricing, but my mum had to pay $50 every time I had to get my elastics changed and/or cleaned.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 33
it is my not so humble opinion that braces are WELL worth their investment. note: i am not a dentist/orthodontist/anything worth while, but if you teeth are that far out of line they may wear poorly, and that may be TERRIBLE later on. asside from teh cosmetic benefits, that may make it worth it.

prepare for pain of teeth and wallet like you have not ever experienced, but the end result is VERY well worth it (again in my totally unqualifyed opinion.)

as a thought: if you can get on insurance some may cover braces if your teeth are found to be "screwed up" enough that it causes you problems or is likely too even if they dont cover them for cosmetic reasons.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 33
Okay so its a possibility if I can prove to the insurance company that my teeth may pose potential health risks that they would cover braces?

*I may still be covered by parents insurance but I wont find out till tomorrow*

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's going to hurt like hell.

x3.

I'm about halfway through. I have an orthodontist appointment tomorrow. At first it doesn't seem so bad; your teeth feel tight, but you think you'll get used to it. Ten minutes later and you're making a conscious effort not to make your upper and lower teeth touch. Another 10 and it becomes total torture no matter what you do. Ibuprofen does absolutely nothing.

It'll go away completely in a week, but then in another few weeks you'll have to go back to get them tightened, and the hell starts all over again. Repeat for 2+ years.

I'm not sure I regret it though. I hated my teeth before, and 2 years is short in comparison to the years after. They are already so much straighter. I just wish it were cheaper and less painful...

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 33
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I barely even notice that my braces are there. I admit that when you get your spacers in, and the first couple weeks the braces will hurt. But after that they feel totally fine. every 4-6 weeks when I get the braces tightened there may be a little bit of soreness, but that seems to only last about a day.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 33
I paid for my own cost back in college. If you can prove that your teeth cause speech deficiency, then your insurance might cover the cost.

If you pay out of your own pocket, you might want to negotiate for the longest installment possible. In my case, the orthodontist showed less interest in my situation once the installment is paid off.... sucks...
mad.gif

Pain killer is your only friend everytime they tighten the braces to move the teeth, but it would last for couple days and you'd be alright.

Make sure you have toothbrush and tooth picks with you all the time. Others can tell exactly what you had from the last meal when you smile....
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 33
uninsured, braces will be hella expensive. Like AKG100 & a good amp and source expensive. Check for dental insurance or plans at the dentist.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 33
Invisalign here, because it will take 1 year instead of 2. No one can see them at all, and they hurt for 1 day every 2 weeks when you put new ones in, I barely know they are in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back