Considering braces... what do I need to know?
Feb 20, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #16 of 33
i dont think I remember that much pain either, other than the monthly tightening (and that really lasted one day). the retainer after braces, those hurt my teeth, and the lisp it creates when you speak...V_V

what I did like about braces is the shred of creativity when choosing the colour bands to go around the spacers. I remember I got to pattern red and green bands for Christmas...

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #17 of 33
i remember the intensity and longevity of the pain slowly decreases as your treatment progresses...the first time you get them in = worst pain in the world, 1st tightening = second worst pain in the world, so on and so forth until it only feels somewhat uncomfortable for about a day after the tightening

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #19 of 33
The level of pain is completely dependent on how much correction your teeth needs. If you have severely crooked teeth and a matching over/under bite, it will probably hurt a little. But I don't consider it painful, more like discomfort and soreness. It also depends on your orthodontist. I was lucky in that department. I think the people that complain about wearing braces being really painful either had really screwed up teeth and/or a crappy orthodontist. Think about it, 10 year old kids have braces. If they can deal with it, certainly you can as well.

Anyway, I think the investment is totally worth it, even if you are in somewhat advanced age. At 19, I don't think it's a big deal at all.

When the braces period is over, do not slack off on wearing your retainer. I was guilty of this somewhat, but thankfully my teeth did not shift too much. A buddy of mine wasn't so lucky and he had to get re-fitted with new braces a year after getting them off. Just do it right the first time and you will have no regrets.

Good luck.

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #21 of 33
Mine made my mouth sore for a few days, but mostly its just strange getting used to them being there. Also, with braces, be sure to be extra dilligent when it comes to brushing your teeth, as (to me at least) its harder to keep your mouth clean.

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #22 of 33
Hmm, in my experience (4 years with braces) all the rumors about it hurting proved to be false.
At first it takes time to get used to with soreness (equivalent to the feeling of loose teeth), and the monthly tweeks add some discomfort but not at all "pain galore". There are some invisible braces options out there, but I am only familar with the 'train tracks' type.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Invisalign here, because it will take 1 year instead of 2. No one can see them at all, and they hurt for 1 day every 2 weeks when you put new ones in, I barely know they are in.

What sort of alignment problem are you having corrected? I had my dentist refer me to an orthodontist about a year ago, and after one small consultation they took x-rays and impressions then told me to come back for the fitting. I went there and they ran through a cleaning then told me my gums weren't good enough to fit them. I went to a periodontist for gum treatment for about six months, but I'm not sure it has really improved things.

I am pissed with the orthodontist for not checking me out beforehand, especially since insurance only covers one lifetime treatment, and I'm pretty sure what they've done already counts as starting that. They also told me treatment would only take six months, which is ******** based on everything I've read since. They have been going on at me for about six months to re-book the treatment appointments ("it's been so long we'll have to take new impressions!" -- whose fault is that?
rolleyes.gif
).

I've read various conflicting opinions about what Invisalign and similar systems can correct. My problems is what you might call a slight underbite, but I don't think it's related to my jaw lengths so much as shifting teeth. Basically, my front teeth on the top are pointed slightly inwards and the teeth on the bottom slightly outwards. Other than that, my bite seems to align fairly well. I have all my wisdom teeth, which the orthodontist said I would have to have removed before treatment then never mentioned again. I would feel much better about this treatment if I could have it done with something non-invasive like Invisalign.

I am wary of going back to this orthodontist for treatment. I know my gums are not in wonderful shape, and I have always had problems with tooth decay beyond what you might normally expect. I don't want to be stuck with metal braces for two years and end up with slightly straighter teeth that have to be pulled out or something like that
eek.gif
Plus, they do the fittings and adjustments in a communal room with several chairs, and it's embarrassing as hell when it's you and a bunch of little kids
rolleyes.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #24 of 33
Ok sorry about your experience Bob, mine has been perfect. I have a crossbite which is my main problem, my teeth are straight it is just that some of my bottom teeth are outside my top ones. I did have to have my wisdom teeth out, but it was not the horror experience that people make it out to be, I only took 1 of the 20 pain pills they gave me. I beleive that you do have to have your wisdom teeth out though.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never found either of those to be true.

X2

i've had braces for about three years. hopefully i'll have em off by the end of this year.

but what really hurt is when i had surgery three years ago before i got braces. a tooth was growing towards my nose so they dug up in the tissue, attached a braces bracket up there and a chain to that. so every month when i went to ortho to get my braces rebanded, a link or two would be cut. took about 10 months to finally get the tooth down.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #27 of 33
I was in braces for almost 3 years and i just got out of them about a month ago. Before I got them on I had to go to my dentist then I had to get 2 teeth pulled to make room for other teeth to move around and then i got my braces on. I went in about every 2 months. Mine cost somewhere around $3500.00 or $4000.00. My insurance paid up to I think $1500. Most insurance companies allow upto certain amounts for dental, not just specifically for braces. Your parents insurance would still cover you if you were in college or still living with them I believe. So your insurance would pay for part of it but not all of it if you were covered. Then you would have a monthly payment or bi-monthly.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #28 of 33
I got my braces as an adult (about 35 I think) my teeth were misaligned and looked bad, but the main reason I got them was because the misalignment was causing jaw pain and headaches. I was told that it would only get worse if I didn't get my teeth fixed.

The biggest issue I found with pain was not so much related to my teeth after an adjustment, but mouth ulcers caused by the brackets rubbing on the inside of my cheeks. Generally, the pain was relatively OK.

Because I thought I would be self concious about them and so that I wouldn't have the train track look, I opted for the transparent brackets . As it turned out I actually enjoyed having them. The girls at the Orthodontist Surgery would tease me about fluro colour elastics, so I did. After about the first 6 months I got fluro elsatics and kept getting them until it was time to have my braces removed.

I had mine for just under two years. No real problems. I would echo the previous comment(s) about cleaning them after eating - it's pretty horrid when you see people with food in their braces.

I have also had 3 stepkids go through braces. They didn't have too many problems either. Only my eldest stepdaughter required any pain relief. The others were fine.

Braces cost about $5000 in Australia, so it is quite an investment. But I am happy with the outcome and would happily do it over again if I had to.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #29 of 33
Fourty years after, and here are my thoughts...Your digestion is better, your Breath is better (less nooks and crannies), my face looked better after, You will have less cavities, because your teeth will now be more self-cleaning, you can take a harder hit in a fall or accident, because they form perfect arches, and each reinforces the others against a hit, they are easier to clean, and they look better and wear better over the years. (Grammarians, GRIT YOUR TEETH - I know that was one run-on sentence, and I am not going to change it.)

The pain of adjustment each two weeks meant that I would take only liquids or soft foods for the first two days after each adjustment.

Post Braces, I almost never chew gum - got out of the habit.

I think having braces makes you more aware of mouth/tooth care - you tend to wear mouthguards when you should, and you take better care of your teeth than those who never get Braces. I'll bet that those who get braces live a liittle longer, on average.

The younger you get them done, the easier it is, and the less care required for the rest of your life. My Mother got them done while in her Fourties, and has to wear a retainer for the rest of her life, as her jawbone didn't fill in behind the moving teeth. My course of treatment was almost Seven years - six months wearing a bite plate after eight teeth removed, and four years of braces, followed by two years of a retainer, nothing thereafter. My Daughter's course of treatment was Three years, and she will have a wire cemented to the back (inside) of her front lower four teeth "indefinately".

It is well worth the expense and pain, and is one of the best self-improvements a person can make, bang-for-the bucks wise, IMHO.

Even if your insurance won't pay for it (if it is recommended), get it done. You will slowly realise over the years that it was a good deal.

My $.02

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 33
I had braces so I will tell you honestly from my perspective. They were the biggest waist of money and caused needless pain. My teeth looked great for a while but are now crooked again. I have always taken great care of my teeth but they just are not straight anymore. My dh had the same experience. He wore braces and has some crooked teeth now too. If braces are suggested for my children I will refuse them. Quite frankly to me it is just another way for a dentists to get rich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back