Considering Beyerdynamic DT880s... questions...
Sep 10, 2007 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Corbet

100+ Head-Fier
I'm finally reaching the $200-$300 price bracket after having my SR80s for over a year. I've got a great pair of IEMs, a great pair of Grados, but I'm looking for something new - the DT880s. Before I invest in these great headphones I've got a few questions...

-How "Closed" sounding are they? My SR80s are VERY open, I'm looking for something that doesn't leak as badly.

-I looked through the B/S/T forums and noticed many people's posts mentioning specific years. Are the current ones available online everywhere the '07s? Can we expect a significant upgrade if I wait until '08? I'm in no hurry to buy these but would obviously like have them ASAP.

-Using Google's Marketplace some places were selling the DT880s for as cheap as $215 shipped! Am I running any type of risk using these online stores if they get good ratings? Could they be selling me an older model from previous years?

-What kind of amp should I be looking to get to power these? Portability is not a requirement, I was looking at the Little Dots. I have about $100 - $150 to spend on an amp.

Sep 10, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 9
I haven't even heard the DT 880s, but I've been looking into them as a possible upgrade as well, so I can answer a couple of the questions.

Open/Closed: No clue. I'm guessing as a "semi-open" can they're still going to leak a reasonable amount.

Different years: From what I've read, the "earlier" model is the '03. Most stores would be selling the 05/06 model (I do not believe there is a 07/08 model). I think Amazon has the DT880s up for around $230, so I think $215 really isn't that much of a stretch. If you hit the high/mid 100s, I'd say you'll most likely be getting the '03 model.

Amp: iirc, impedance rating for the DT880s is 250ohms. I've read that they synergize fairly well with Meier amps, but the closest is a Corda Move which is $240 new. A used one may fall within your budget. The other one I've been eyeing personally is the Leckerton Audio amp. I think someone's going to be reviewing them in 3-4 weeks; should be interesting to see how well a $150 packaged DAC/amp fares.

Sep 10, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi=]
As Faolon said, the earlier dt880's still on most people's minds are the '03 versions. You can distinguish them from the current production model by flatter, more silvery/metallic earcups; the dt880'05 has more rounded, greyish, and comptemporary earcups.

My dt880'05 run fine from the stereo and my x-fi xtrememusic(set at high volumes), but I can make out differences when amping it with my DT880'05, even though these differences are fairly subtle(at least to my unexperienced ears...Hi Towert, you were right about that). Imo, YMMV. If you'd like, you can check out Beyerdynamic's manufacturer page on their website, and scoop out the DT880'32 ohm cans. That may just be more convenient for your needs.

Hope this helps=]

*edit* Oh, I also had the sr80 phones, but I gave them away. From memory, the sr80s leak about 10% more than the dt880's, and that's playing music at somewhat loud levels on the latter 'phones. The best thing is, the dt880's seemingly block out more noise than the sr80s.

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm finally reaching the $200-$300 price bracket after having my SR80s for over a year. I've got a great pair of IEMs, a great pair of Grados, but I'm looking for something new - the DT880s. Before I invest in these great headphones I've got a few questions...

-How "Closed" sounding are they? My SR80s are VERY open, I'm looking for something that doesn't leak as badly.

the DT880s are semi-open headphones. they will leak, but not like the grados. however, i would not consider their isolation to be on the same level as closed.

Quote:

-I looked through the B/S/T forums and noticed many people's posts mentioning specific years. Are the current ones available online everywhere the '07s? Can we expect a significant upgrade if I wait until '08? I'm in no hurry to buy these but would obviously like have them ASAP.

most people have one of two models, the '03 version (flat cups) or the '05 version (rounded cups). i have both and think they sound very similar. the '05 version might have slightly better bass but may also be a bit brighter. it's kind of hard to compare because neither of mine have the stock cable. one thing that i find about these headphones is that they are very good for low volume listening.

Quote:

-Using Google's Marketplace some places were selling the DT880s for as cheap as $215 shipped! Am I running any type of risk using these online stores if they get good ratings? Could they be selling me an older model from previous years?

$215 shipped for the '05 version is a very good price. the '03 version is generally cheaper.

Quote:

-What kind of amp should I be looking to get to power these? Portability is not a requirement, I was looking at the Little Dots. I have about $100 - $150 to spend on an amp.

of the amps i have owned and used with my DT880, i liked the Gilmore Lite and LD2++ best.

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 9
Mini3 amp is really nice with the 880s. I had the '03 250ohm with Cardas and it was one of the best sounding headphones I have ever had. I traded for some old Lambdas b/c I have never heard stax before and as most folks know, I go through a lot of gear lol.

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

I bought from them recently. No need to worry.

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Good lucking finding a used one. They come up from time to time, but are sold very quickly.

New one's cost $190 shipped, and the route I have taken. I can't seem to snag a used one on here..

EDIT: sorry for the double post. Should have multi-quoted, but didn't.

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 9
DT880 is a really good pair of headphones.

Don't concider them closed at all though. If you need closed phones, these are not it.

I have not seen anything about a '07 version. The latest as far as I know is the '05.

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 9
The DT880's make everything sound good.
They do leak. Someone in the same vicinity will know you are listening. I do agree, there is less leak than my Grado's.
I may have a used pair for sale, as I am debating an expensive upgrade. I would have to look up the current market price. I recently have been grabbing the most accessible (to my headphone amp) to listen to and that has been the AKG K701's. I keep the Beyers (straight cord) in the metal box, so they are not always as accessible. So I figure this would be the pair used to finance the new purchase (audio rack).
Once I pull them out, they usually remain out and I use them because they have such a nice all around sound. You do not get fatigued listening to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back