Connectors - Mix Gold and Silver
Apr 15, 2021 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JGA007

New Head-Fier
I noticed Audioquest moves from gold to silver plated connectors as their cable models increase in cost. Most connectors on equipment are gold platted. I always through you should not mix the platting materials to avoid corrosion from using dissimilar materials. According to Audioquest that absolutely can't happen.

Any opinions?

Also, anyone using Caig Deoxit Gold contact cleaner?

Apr 15, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 4
I noticed Audioquest moves from gold to silver plated connectors as their cable models increase in cost. Most connectors on equipment are gold platted. I always through you should not mix the platting materials to avoid corrosion from using dissimilar materials. According to Audioquest that absolutely can't happen.

Any opinions?
Yes, don't buy boutique cables. Silver is probably better for cables that are unplugged and plugged in a lot since it's harder than gold. But it tarnishes and loses conductivity. Gold is soft, but is non-reactive. So go for the gold..

Also, anyone using Caig Deoxit Gold contact cleaner?
A lot of guy use it on tubes.

Apr 15, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Used the Craig D100 cleaner and G100 contact enhancer for years .... good stuff ...
silver as a contact surface may be better long term, as it tarnishes due to silver oxide which is still a good conductor, with either solid or silver plated wire it makes sense to use silver connectors and soft silver solder ... if you’re of a mind to go with exotic cables with silver plugs go the whole way and get the component sockets upgraded to silver too,
having said that the latest “big thing “ is Rhodium plated connectors ... more expensive again ... 🙄
just as important is what’s under the pretty gold plating ..anything from cast bronze to brass and the better ones solid copper ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back