Connecting HeadRoom Micro to Receiver
Jun 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to try my HeadRoom Micro Amp with my dedicated system to see if my headphones sound better through it instead of through my Onkyo TX8555's headphone jack.

How do I go about doing this?  My Onkyo has a pre-out connectors (red/white), so do I run RCA cable from that, to a RCA to Mini 1/8" adaptor and then plug that into the MicroAmp (Pre-Out --> RCA cable --> RCA to Mini 1/8" adaptor --> MicroAmp)?

Or, do I use the Tape Out that the user's guide says should be run to a tape deck or some kind of recording device (Tape Out --> RCA cable --> RCA to Mini 1/8" adaptor --> MicroAmp)?

I tried using the first option, but I didn't get a whole lot of volume.  The cables used were pretty lousy, so I am wondering if I just need to get a new set of connectors - nothing fancy, just some basic, good stuff from Blue Jeans or something. 

I didn't try the second option, because my instincts tell me that that's not what I need to be doing. 

Thanks.

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 5
I know that the Headroom Micro is not a full-sized headphone amp, but since I planned on using it as such (i.e. just sitting there, not as a portable), I thought it was best to put my question here.

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I know that the Headroom Micro is not a full-sized headphone amp, but since I planned on using it as such (i.e. just sitting there, not as a portable), I thought it was best to put my question here.

it is not a portable also..(doesn't run on batteries) so you did right by putting your question here.
the headroom micro also performs like a full size/desktop amp soundwise. it is consider desktop amp. 
you can also get a nice rca to mini cable without the need to use an adapter with you rca to rca cable.  the less components is better.      I also think that you should try the first option with another cable.  pre-out sounds right for your purpose.  maybe it supposed to be a little weak in volume.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 5
Yep, I know my 2006 desktop was comparable to a full-sized, not a great one.

My question - doesn't using the pre-out mean that the volume control on the receiver would control the line-out level and therefore the Micro's volume?

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
it is not a portable also..(doesn't run on batteries) so you did right by putting your question here.
the headroom micro also performs like a full size/desktop amp soundwise. it is consider desktop amp. 
you can also get a nice rca to mini cable without the need to use an adapter with you rca to rca cable.  the less components is better.      I also think that you should try the first option with another cable.  pre-out sounds right for your purpose.  maybe it supposed to be a little weak in volume.

Mine is an older model that actually used 9v batteries.  Per the specs, it sucks them dry pretty quickly.  I never intended to use it as a portable when I purchased it about 4 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back