Connecting Graham Slee Novo to Onkyo 875 - please help!
Aug 5, 2010 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kaderhashmi

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have an Onkyo 875 av receiver to which I have various sources connected and have recently purchased a Graham slee novo. I have tried simply connecting the novo to the preouts for the front L and R channels on the back and get no sound from the headphone amp at all. I have also tried connecting it to the TAPE OUT and still nothing.  In essence I am simply using the onkyo as a switch for the various sources and would like the sound to come from the novo to my headphones. Any idea what I need to do to achieve this? I couldnt find in the onkyos menu system, the way to get it to output the signal to via the preouts/tape out to the headphone amp. If anyone has experience with this or similar models, please could you let me know. Thank you

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the reply HDMan. I have tried putting it into stereo mode (and even plugged in another set of headphones into the onkyo so it should simply be passing out stereo). Apologies but I dont understand what you mean by changing the Aux/DVD etc mode - how do i do this? 

Aug 7, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 10
What are the formats of your audio input sources?

I've been thinking about a similar setup -- hooking a headphone amp to my Onkyo 906.  From what I can glean from the 906 manual, its audio switching function is only like-to-like, thus using analog Tape-Out would not work for Coax/Optical/HDMI digital sources, but I assume that Pre-Out should work with all sources but have not been able to determine if Pre-Out signals are always present or Pre-Out mode needs to be explicitly selected.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 10
I currently have multiple sources connected to the onkyo:

ps3 via hdmi
xbox 360 via component (for video) and optical for sound
bluray - hdmi
pc (audio only) via coaxial

I have been using this same setup for around 3 years now and the digital input screen you mention above HDMan, is set fine. As I have previously been using the headphone out from the onkyo and have had no problems, is something different required if i wanted to use the preout?

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 10
Have you tested the HP Amp on another system?

Have you tried the pre-outs with another Amp?

Could be faulty. Other than that I don't know anything else.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 10
The headphone amp works fine if i connect the ps3 av out ie scart using the red and white rca's. but this defeats the point of the receiver as a source switch. So I dont believe it to be a faulty head amp just that maybe that the preouts arent working on the onkyo or that there is some setting that i have inadvertently changed over the last 3 years that needs to be reset. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back