Connecting DAC to Headphone and Speaker Amps
May 31, 2011 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tas236

Head-Fier
I'm really lazy. I don't want to have to unplug anything behind my components.

I want to connect a standalone DAC (recommendations ~$200 please?) to both a Schiit Asgard and a speaker amp (~$200 as well, I'm thinking either Fiio A1 or Nuforce Icon Amp...any others I should consider?) without having to disconnect anything. Anybody else do this? Am I just too lazy? Or stupid? Any ideas and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 4
Poke around Audiogon for a used preamp that has a tape loop/record out function. Connect the DAC to one of the inputs. Connect the headphone amp to the tape loop/record out and the power amp to the preamp's outputs. You'll be able to switch among them as you like. You'd also have additional inputs for a CD player, turntable, tuner, or other sources.

A few years back, I picked up a Conrad-Johnson PV2. It has two tape loops, so I can connect two headphone amps. It has a phonostage built in for a turntable. Then there are three other inputs for a DAC, SACD player, and FM tuner. I also connect it to a Conrad-Johnson MV52 power amp. It works great. A PV2 is outside your budget, but you'll find other preamps with similar functions.

It is possible to DIY something with these functions if you're interested.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 4
oh and Uncle Erik, I'm not sure the preamp situation would work for me since I'll be living in a space-constrained (dorm room) environment with precious little space anywhere, let alone on the desk. I have a Yamaha integrated that would work for the task but it's just too big...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back