Connecting a DAC to a cd player and headphone amp
Nov 17, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I connect the CD player to the DAC via optical cable, and the DAC to the headphone amp via RCA-to-RCA cable correct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Entech-Number-Cr...QQcmdZViewItem

this auction says that the only output is a coax cable? my amp does not have a coax output =/

am i looking at it wrong?

The Entech has both optical and Coax digital inputs, you can use either to connect it to the CD player. The Entech has RCA ouputs (the ad is confusing) these are just standard RCA sockets so any RCA to RCA cable will do fine.

Nov 17, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 9
I'll take this thread as an opportunity to ask a nub question: is a coaxial cable used for audio basically the same cable you use for cable television?

I'm getting my first dedicated CD transport and will need to purchase a cable to run to my DAC, and am not sure whether to go with optical or coaxial.

Nov 17, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 9
That's actually a very good question, because I am expecting my Benchmark DAC1 anytime now! Noticed its inputs were optical and coaxial. Usually on a consumer product, coaxial is just like a RCA plug (so with a DVD to reciever, you can just use a RCA cord for coaxial digital audio). However, I notice photos of the Benchmark have the coaxial actually being more like what you see on TV monitors (not the cable type coaxial, but those ones with bayonetts). Though I noticed it also comes with an adapter to make that output the regular consumer coaxial

So the short answer is that for most our products, coaxial is RCA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take this thread as an opportunity to ask a nub question: is a coaxial cable used for audio basically the same cable you use for cable television?

I'm getting my first dedicated CD transport and will need to purchase a cable to run to my DAC, and am not sure whether to go with optical or coaxial.

Nov 17, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Some people here might disagree, but my understanding is that a good RCA cable can serve any purpose (Subwoofer, RCA, Composite video, component video, digital coax, etc.) All of these cables are meant to be 75 Ohm and as long as they meet that spec one cable should work for them all. There might be some differences, like you would want a very well shielded cable for subwoofer use.

EDIT: If you go to Blue Jeans Cable, they use the same coax (1694A) and the same Canare connectors on their Component Video, Composite Video, Digital Coaxial, Stereo Audio, Multichannel, and Subwoofer cables. For some of these cables they might have slight preferences for something else, like BJC LC-1 for the stereo audio, but 1694A is an option on all of them.

Nov 17, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Jack... I believe that the CE595 ONLY has an optical out... NO coax... therefore, your only choice is an optical cable.... debatable if one is better than the other anyway.... just my two cents worth.

Nov 17, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 9
Yep, I have the CE595....which is only optical out. Works out well actually, because most computers have coaxial output.....so you can use the Sony and your computer on one DAC. It depends on your source equipment largly about whether coaxial is better then optical in SQ. The Sony is a good transport, so I'd just use its optical to go to the DAC

and hciman77 is right that the ad means that the two coaxial going out should read RCA....just rca to rca for your headphone amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jack... I believe that the CE595 ONLY has an optical out... NO coax... therefore, your only choice is an optical cable.... debatable if one is better than the other anyway.... just my two cents worth.

Nov 17, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 9
thanks for all the responses guys, that information provided on ebay was quite confusing
blink.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I have the CE595....which is only optical out. Works out well actually, because most computers have coaxial output.....so you can use the Sony and your computer on one DAC. It depends on your source equipment largly about whether coaxial is better then optical in SQ. The Sony is a good transport, so I'd just use its optical to go to the DAC

and hciman77 is right that the ad means that the two coaxial going out should read RCA....just rca to rca for your headphone amp.

Actually this is pretty cool. My DAC has a USB input for my computer, so I can use that for the computer and the optical for my CDP. Will make A/Bing easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back