Connect a Fiio e9k/e17 with a DS possible?
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #19 of 31
In that way, you won't use the e17 DAC. You need to go digital out of your DS if that is possible.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #20 of 31
Well got my DS today.

I have to say the Sound Quality is not nearly as good as the PSPs.

Also Colour accuracy and black level are bad. ( compared to my calibrated Sony HX 755, which is obvious i guess)

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:
Alright, thank you.

Now, i hooked up my e17 + Dt 880 ( 600 ohm) with my PSP and they got pretty loud.

I am curious if it would be better to use the e17 since it is an DAC and may be better than the PSP/DS DAC?
What do you guys think? 
If it gets loud enough, there should not be reason to hook it up to the e9k and buy an additional cable or?

I thought the E17 was a DAC and only had digital inputs. 

If this is true, then you can't hook it up to the PSP or DS unless those have digital outputs. If it's a 3.5mm jack, then that is already analog and there is no need to do a digital-analog-conversion with the e17 DAC.

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #23 of 31
To clarify, the 3.5mm jack on the DS (and PSP) is already converted and amped. Running it through an E17 adds the benefit of more power to your headphones, but it won't make the source sound any cleaner. Yes, the PSP does have better sound quality than the DS. You notice that sound difference, even when you use the E17 on both of them, because you're getting each unit's DA conversion and amplification in addition to the E17's amplification. To use just the E17, you'd have to use a USB cable for both the E17's DAC and amp, or you could hook it up to an iPod with a LOD, in which case you're using the iPod's DAC and the E17's amp. Both would be cleaner options than using the double-amping of DS>E17 and PSP>E17. Cheers.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #24 of 31
Thanks for the info wes008.

I have 2 Questions:

I am connecting my PSP to my Sony hx 755 Tv via component cables. Then i capture the Audio with an optical cable whch i plug in from the Tv to the e17/e9k. Am i still double amping?

If i connect my DS to my e9k instead, would it be a better solution?

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:
Thanks for the info wes008.

I have 2 Questions:

I am connecting my PSP to my Sony hx 755 Tv via component cables. Then i capture the Audio with an optical cable whch i plug in from the Tv to the e17/e9k. Am i still double amping?

If i connect my DS to my e9k instead, would it be a better solution?

You are not double amping! Actually, you are going digital out of the TV, which mean you are using the DAC in the e17.

Of course it is better to hook up the DS to your e9k, since it should be a better amp for your dt880. I don't know if it is worth it, though.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:
You are not double amping! Actually, you are going digital out of the TV, which mean you are using the DAC in the e17.

Of course it is better to hook up the DS to your e9k, since it should be a better amp for your dt880. I don't know if it is worth it, though.

alright!^^

Ok, could i connect my Ds via a 3.5mm cable to my Tv which has a 3.5 mm jack. Then go digital out with an opical cable and use my e17? If you know what i mean^^.

edit e17 adn e9k^^

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #27 of 31
Nope, you cannot. 

You would need something like hdmi, optical out, usb or coaxial, going from your DS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back