Confusion with Shure SE530
Apr 22, 2009 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok to start, thanks for the advice on picking earphones guys.
I picked these because reviews seem to claim they are the most balanced in comfort, isolation and sound quality levels.
The problem is for me, I'm just not getting this "amazing" sound that I was expecting. I don't know if I'm putting them in wrong because these are my first canal phones.
I will admit there are some sounds that seem more refined, and slightly different than I've heard on my stock apple buds.
The isolation is only 30% for me (again I'm not sure how to put them in yet) so far.
Also, I'm not hearing this "soundstage" I've read about; all I can hear is the same 4" tall action-figure sized band inside my head that I got with my stock iBuds
TBH the main difference for me is that these headphones are ridiculously loud on minimum volume. (My source is a rockboxed iPod Video 5.5g 30GB, with mainly 320kbps, and some FLACs).
Now from what I have heard, these headphones "shine" when you turn them up to higher volumes, but I am terrified of damaging my hearing.
If you're still reading this :-/ , what are your thoughts on the situation.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if I'm putting them in wrong because these are my first canal phones.

Exactly that. Experiment with various tips that came with them.

And before you go off doing that, do a search about taking off the SE530 tips properly the first time. They can be a biatch to get off at first so be careful.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 24
With only 30% isolation it is clearly a fit issue.

You need a good seal in order to experience the bliss that is to follow. The tips may be the wrong size, but more likely that you're not inserting them far enough into the ear canal. Common mistake for first time IEM users. When you think you have them in far enough, go deeper. After you've used them for awhile you'll find the sweet spot.

These are In Ear Monitors and need to be IN the ear canal. These are not ear buds that gently rest on the outside of the ear.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 24
Yeah I've tried a few. How exactly do I get them in my ears properly, I can't seem to find an angle that'll let the tips in more than half-way...
frown.gif
Microphonics are major with these, even looped over the ear..., and I thought the buds were annoying. I can even hear my heart beating, I'll probably have to put up with the sound of my heart and feet boomin in my ears.
Maybe I should get the klipsch images.

What I meant by the lack of soundstage was that all I hear is sounds coming from either my left or right ear, and occasionally sounds slightly more towards the middle of my head, kike theres a line between my ears where sounds come from. No up, down, forward, or back, or the derirative diagonals.

Out of interest, how high is it safe to turn these up, and what is .rockboxes minimum volume in decibels?

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 24
well it took me a while to get used to them i used to eq the crap out of my phones but when i got the 530's i learned to listen at lower volumes and just let the music come naturaly and to be honest once i got used to it.... omg sounds sooooo good the bass comes through realy nice and the mids are phenominal like guitars and stuff sound wicked.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Isolation has SLIGHTLY improved after switching to the small black foams. Percussion sounds well defined, which is the biggest improvement over my buds so far.

Well, then your next step is to try medium foams.

Shure makes very good isolating earphones.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 24
It is certainly a fit problem. As you may have read, the SE530 are one of the top iems out there. There is simply no comparison with the stock buds.
However, as some people say, maybe you should have gone through various other less expensive iem before buying a top end model. That way, you would really have appreciated the gain in quality.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 24
With foam tips, be sure to compress them before inserting them into your ears. You want them to expand to fill the ear canal after you have inserted them so you get a good seal. This is easiest with the yellow foam tips, but works the same with the black ones.

Also, when inserting tips, try reaching over your head with your free hand and pull your ear up and out. This helps straighten your ear canal to make insertion easier.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 24
I'm really curious how you measured 30% isolation?

$300 head phones, think about that for a second... they should be sounding significantly better than the ibuds, to you. There shouldn't be any debate or magic required on getting them in.

I'd strongly suggest going through all the tips, and then returning them if nothing works for you.

Apologies if this is pedantic, but...

foamies: pinch them between your fingers until they get small, insert them, let them expand
silicone: push them in

If it's much more complicated than that they should've come with better directions :p

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 24
may sound like a silly question, but are you putting them in 'upside down' (with the lengthwise end facing up?) then looping around the back of your ears? this + the black olives seems to be best for me.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

frown.gif
Microphonics are major with these, even looped over the ear..., and I thought the buds were annoying. I can even hear my heart beating, I'll probably have to put up with the sound of my heart and feet boomin in my ears.
Maybe I should get the klipsch images.

Klipsch won't help.

Those you were describing are not microphonics, but occlusion effect (a.k.a. bone conduction). Microphonics is the noise transmitted by cable. Occlusion effect is the noise transmitted with in the body when the ear canal is blocked. So no matter what IEM you used, there will be occlusion effect due to the very nature of IEM (blocking ear canal).

Occlusion effect can be annoying at first, but you don't have to worry too much. After you get used to wearing IEM (usually only takes a few days), you won't notice it anymore. Also, wearing soft shoe tend to reduce foot booming.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klipsch won't help.

Those you were describing are not microphonics, but occlusion effect (a.k.a. bone conduction). Microphonics is the noise transmitted by cable. Occlusion effect is the noise transmitted with in the body when the ear canal is blocked. So no matter what IEM you used, there will be occlusion effect due to the very nature of IEM (blocking ear canal).

Occlusion effect can be annoying at first, but you don't have to worry too much. After you get used to wearing IEM (usually only takes a few days), you won't notice it anymore. Also, wearing soft shoe tend to reduce foot booming.

That is true. But if the OP is trying to get rid of microphonics, I would highly recommend the Audeo Silicone Earguides. I used to never be able to wear IEMs over the ear, but with these, they are VERY comfortable and I can wear just about anything over my ear now with good fit and NO MICROPHONICS!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back