Confused: Xin's new Reference or Supermacro LE?
Jul 3, 2007 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not one to mess around with changing opamps. Gimme something for my Imod to power my Ety 4ps, my Beyer 990 Manufactur, my Beyer 880 and my Vibes and I[m happy. Now I've been hearing all the raving over the Reference, but just where does that fit in the scheme of things? I mean I already know my opamps of choice with the Supermacro LE or standard IV, but are they going to perform better than the Reference or the same with this wide assortment of phones??

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 12
I had a Supermacro LE (before the 4/11 mods) and when I compared it to the Supemicro IV (also pre 4/11) I preferred the Supermicro IV by a good margin. This even though I tried 10 to 12 op-amps combinations on the Supermacro LE.

I have recently compared a post 4/11 Supermicro IV with one of the earlier Beta versions of the Xin Reference. Said older version of the Reference compares favorably with the Supermicro IV. I think the Reference has a wider soundstage and deeper bass, although overall I still would rank the Supermicro IV higher.

However I should point out that there have been significant changes to the 5/6 week old Reference amp I have. Based on what I have read it appears the Reference has surpassed the Supermicro IV.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 12
I think the Micro is an excellent little amp far better than most any portables and some home units and will be for some time. The newer Reference is based on the Micro with some changes as in the cap and ps. It sounds a little different and to my ear has more refined highs and bass of incredible depth.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 12
My ref and micro sound different. my ref is house with 12000uf cap with about 150 hours of burn in. my micro is a post 4/11 set. Ref produce heavier and deeper bass, more micro details and more extended and refine highs. But mid and soundstage wise, i still give it to micro. Micro mid is smoother and soundstage is wider and deeper. Vocal on ref sound artificially push to the back to me although it much better now after the burn in.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 12
I have had my Reference for just under a week now and it has got about 150 hours burn in. I prefer it by far over my LE with solid tube chipset (from around february and now sold). Soundstage is bigger bass a lot deeper and it sounds very much like my EarMax tube amp. It is also far better than my SuperMini III with solid tube chipset (updated in february). IN my opinion it is the best amp Xin has made although I have never heard a micro. The main problem with it is that you have to like it "as is" since you cant tweak anything (well unless you are a lot better with a soldering iron than I am).

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ref and micro sound different. my ref is house with 12000uf cap with about 150 hours of burn in. my micro is a post 4/11 set. Ref produce heavier and deeper bass, more micro details and more extended and refine highs. But mid and soundstage wise, i still give it to micro. Micro mid is smoother and soundstage is wider and deeper. Vocal on ref sound artificially push to the back to me although it much better now after the burn in.

I have found that 400 plus hours is required for everything to really settle and maybe even a little more.

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 12
I am not so impressed by the soundstage of Reference (now almost 300 hours burn-in). Not so wide, even narrower than Headphonia amp. Let's see how it evolves as time goes by.

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by toopeach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not so impressed by the soundstage of Reference (now almost 300 hours burn-in). Not so wide, even narrower than Headphonia amp. Let's see how it evolves as time goes by.

Something is not right with your Reference. I have tried 3 different Beta versions and all had the widest soundstage of any portable amp I have ever listened to.

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by toopeach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Time to email Dr. Xin about that soundstage your hearing....This is not my experience as well.

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 12
Well, I am persuaded by you guys. I'll email Dr. Xin about this issue! My reference's headphone out is also somewhat loose (thus makes some noise in moving) and the power doesn't seem to be enough to make sing some highly veiled classical recording (let's say, Abbado and BPO's new Beethoven Symphonies recording). Time to send mine to the good doc. Of course, my K701 doesn't have any problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found that 400 plus hours is required for everything to really settle and maybe even a little more.

i know. nearing 200h now, the sound change again. but for the better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back